RWS 1-1 - ReMixing With the Stars: Season 1 Episode 1: Spooky!

MindWanderer

It needs to be interpreted, but it also needs to be recognizable. 2 minutes of riffing off of 3 seconds of the bass line is plenty interpreted but isn't very good use of the source.

Interpretation of the theme should not be considered. That's because someone who does a chipstep Castlevania mix is perfectly within the theme of the round but doesn't require any effort to accomplish, while someone who tries to take a tune from Kirby and makes it into something creepy had to get creative and may or may not be successful. I don't want choosing an appropriate source to be a free pass in this respect.

I totally agree that how well the mixer adapts the source to the theme at hand should be in focus, but your definition of "interpretation" isn't at all what I had expected. Then again, I might be so brainwashed by OCR's definition of the word that I don't even know what it means any longer.
Sorry, I did kind of use the word in two different ways there.

Musical "interpretation," as in taking segments or motifs of a source and altering them into something new while remaining recognizably the same source, is a good thing and should definitely be considered in your voting, as the most important factor.

Thematic "interpretation," as in what the artist feels best evokes the month's theme in their mind, should not be considered in voting, as it biases voting in favor of those who took the easy option. Not that anyone did that this time--everyone who took a spooky source also made a spooky mix out of it (although Cash and Change to a lesser extent).

Did I miss something? Is there a place to vote at? Didn't see anything on the first page. Also I really enjoyed everyone elses mixes this round. Awesome stuff :) Now I want to go back and play FF7 again lol.

Here are the original sources for my mix. The zelda one is heavily modified / lightly used.

Sources:

- Zelda 64 - Song of Storms (

)

- Legend of Legaia - Town of Jeremi (

)

- Audio effects from Borderlands and Bioshock

Did I miss something? Is there a place to vote at? Didn't see anything on the first page. Also I really enjoyed everyone elses mixes this round. Awesome stuff :) Now I want to go back and play FF7 again lol.

Here are the original sources for my mix. The zelda one is heavily modified / lightly used.

Sources:

- Zelda 64 - Song of Storms (

)

- Legend of Legaia - Town of Jeremi (

)

- Audio effects from Borderlands and Bioshock

That's an interesting mix of games there!

I was wondering what the voice samples were from.

As for votes, they should be PM'd. The first post has the rules at the bottom.

Anyway, loving the entries everybody :).

That's an interesting mix of games there!

I was wondering what the voice samples were from.

As for votes, they should be PM'd. The first post has the rules at the bottom.

Anyway, loving the entries everybody :).

The first sample is from Dr. Ned from the Zombie expansion intro trailer from borderlands. The other voice samples are all excerpts from Dr. Steinman's audio logs from the medical pavillion (Bioshock). Glad you enjoyed the mix.

Voted!

Well done guys!

I'm not sure is this allowed, still I have some impression I'd like to share about some mixes:

"Ghosts on a Disco Train" has some pretty nice quality bass line

"Mother of Abominations" has some interesting instrumentation

"Gloomy Glow" should be more careful working with drums/bass. Loved piano part

"Sepulchro Regum" is great, but some instruments need more attention(brasses, string except intro). Choir.. I want to know what was that!

Also I wonder, where is Garpocalypse and Syllix?

Competition timing turned out to be at the worst part of the month for me and i apologize for caving in.

I know It's not going to count but I hope to have something in time for Halloween anyway.

Hey it could have happened to any one of us. I was personally lucky to have extra free time to devote. Looking forward to your piece! I'm sure most of us just wanted to learn how to become better and submit a descent song. At least that's how I feel about it. Good luck!

"Sepulchro Regum" is great, but some instruments need more attention(brasses, string except intro). Choir.. I want to know what was that!

The choral part with words were The Eluryahn's work - all things considered, I thought it was a really nice touch. The choral 'Ooo's' are a custom combinator patch of mine for Reason (just my patch, though - he did the entire arrangement). Glad you liked it. :)

The choral part with words were The Eluryahn's work - all things considered, I thought it was a really nice touch. The choral 'Ooo's' are a custom combinator patch of mine for Reason (just my patch, though - he did the entire arrangement). Glad you liked it. :)

I thought those vocals stuck out. So that was why.

Bonus points for a Find Your Way remix!

Yeah, I thought they stuck out a bit, too. It had reverbed that section to a point I where liked it. But I didn't write down what the parameters were, and so I had to try to duplicate it and it didn't work as well the 2nd time.

But yes, I thought it was time for a 'Find Your Way' mix, too. There are a few songs from popular games that I think get overlooked.

I just want to say that this was a lot of fun. I would do it next month, but it's NaNoWriMo, and I'm gonna try for a 3rd novel.

Also, thank you, Gario. You gave me some great pointers.

I've decided to give this a post as most people in my area are expecting to lose power sometime tonight due to the storm that's coming through right now. 5 days late is better than.... well, it's better than submitting something you had no faith in right? :)

Game: Streets of Rage 2; Alien Power

Remix name: Don't Mind The Wandering Rage Monster

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/garpocalypse/remixing-with-the-stars-sor2

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pkrxr4lqeyatn8r

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgAZCqbhPXU&feature=relmfu

VST's used: Ministry of Rock, Dimension Pro, Rapture, Resident Evil 2 Monster Sound Clips.

Details: I used the idea of being stalked by some monster (take your pick) while making this remix. Needless to say, It doesn't end well for the nameless victim in this one. :) I was hoping to end up with a Prototype Raptor type of remix. You'll see i failed miserably. I did however, get out most of my frusterations on how Resident Evil 6 had a complete lack of any type of shock scares.

The idea for the ending came from trying to get this thing completed late tuesday night before the deadline. It involved me mashing my keyboard pissed that i probably wasn't going to make the Wednesday deadline. You can be sure rage went into this f*cking track!! Hope you guys enjoy what could have been.

The track isn't as loud as i wanted it to be. I had some issue with my multiband where i was pushing it right to 0.1 then upon export i saw that i still had several Db to go. No idea. Should I still have power i'll be remastering this later in the week.

Special thanks: Syllix- For the book of mixing advice and telling me to get the F*** back to work. In so many words :)

Happy Halloween.

And the winner we'll find, on All Hallows Eve.
All Hallows' Noon, anyway. 24 hours away! I only have votes from half the competitors, and the rankings are still close enough to be... well, I wouldn't say anyone's game, but a few of the mixes have a shot at 1st place.

@Garpocalypse: If you'll be remastering anyway, I'll hold off on adding yours to the compilation for now. If anyone else wants to submit an improved version, I can always add that as well. At the end of the 6-month season I'll release a full album for it, and I'll cheerfully accept bonus mixes up until then.

Results!

1. First Place: "Scary Clipping" by Dafydd feat. Sir_NutS, with 32 points.
  2. Second Place: "Sepulchro Regum" by The Eluryahn feat. Gario, with 23 points.
  3. Second Place: "Mother of Abominations" by Trism feat. wildfire, with 23 points.
  4. Fourth Place: "Hallowed Haunt" by shadow24 feat. DusK, with 12 points.
  5. Fifth Place: "Ghosts on a Disco Train" by Cash and Change feat. Rozovian, with 11 points.
  6. Sixth Place: "Gloomy Glow" by ProjectSpam feat. ectogemia, with 10 points.

So Dafydd gets the special "defeating the purpose" award by coming solidly in first without actually taking any of the advice of his assigned Star. I'm not sure his reservations about which category he merits were at all warranted. Personally, my only complaint was the abrupt ending, and the voters agreed: All but one voter gave him at least a 3rd-place vote.

Even though there was a wide margin between 2nd place and everyone else, you all did a superlative job. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with next month! The new thread will be up momentarily.