Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

I used to be a big ego-lifter, and still am to some degree. If my bench would go down by just two reps in a week, I would flip out. I don't think I'll ever be as insanely strong as I was in my twenties, but now I just have fun with it. I still care about my numbers, but I don't beat myself up if I can't pull it off perfectly. Then again, going past your limit when you least expect it is an exhilirating experience.

Oh I'm not knocking P90-X at all. When I tried it out along with my roommate way back when, I definitely saw that it could get a person results. I just don't have enough space anywhere in my house where I could do it.

So in terms of nutrition, guys, where should the "cut off" so to speak be for sodium intake? I mentioned that I was eating soups before, mostly canned stuff, and about a week and a half ago I glanced at the nutrition content at a new one I thought of trying, and I saw that the sodium was to my untrained eye seemingly absurd at about 30% of the daily amount for a 2,000 cal diet. I frantically looked at the info for the ones I normally eat(where there are two servings per can and I down one can each meal since low calories anyway), and I was eating about 65% of the daily amount in one meal! I immediately put a hiatus on that stuff. So what's the issue with sodium? How much should I get in my diet if any?

Also on the topic of sugars, I don't normally consume sugar outside of what I put in my coffee, which is about two small teaspoons of brown sugar. Should I just cut that out entirely? What about sweeteners like Sweet n low? I've read conflicting stuff about them in terms of effects on health. Could anyone give me some guidance here?

Thanks in advance, people, and for all the previous advice as well!

Also back to eating salmon! God I love this stuff.

Being too obsessed over the numbers in the short run is bad - that is not how your body works. It is not uncommon to see a big dip in numbers when you work out hard and then after a bit of recovery do a similar workout. That is the idea behind breaking down to build when it comes to muscles (although mentally that is how the military works too). Your muscles need time to recover to full capacity, so as you keep working out, your body will gradually adapt accordingly.

This has hardly anything to do with fitness, but I've got a 15 hour drive coming up on Wednesday. Anyone got some advice on what would be good snacking food along the way? Preferably not too unhealthy and something that will keep me awake seeing as I don't drink coffee. I also don't eat fast food so it's all gonna have to be bought before I leave.

Casually stating I'm getting a gym membership soon because I'm starting a sitdown job.

Any workout regimens recommended for a guy who just wants to keep in shape?

(days a week, scheduling.)

Not worrying about diet yet, I eat what I can afford at the moment ha. ha...

Here's the schedule I follow; you can adjust it according to which days are easier for you to do certain routines.

Monday - Chest and Back

Tuesday - Legs

Wednedsay - Abs (Light day for a little rest).

Thursday - Biceps and Triceps

Friday - Shoulders

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Stretching, Cardio, Yoga, whatever floats your boat.

If you want an actual regimen, PM me and I can share a couple with you.

• 1 month later...

OH DAMN I GOT STATS

had my stats marked down and have been tracking them, omfg I love stats!! Now I definitely feel like an RPG character! ^___^

Weight 165.35lb

Muscle Mass 141.31lb

Height 69in

Bone Mass 7.28lb

Fat Mass 16.75lb

Body Mass Index (BMI) 24.8

Basal Metabolic Rate 1939kcal

Fat Free Mass 148.59lb

Total Body Water 100.75lb

Metabolic Age 18

Body Fat % 10.2%

Visceral Fat 3

Body Water % 60.9%

OH DAMN I GOT STATS

had my stats marked down and have been tracking them, omfg I love stats!! Now I definitely feel like an RPG character! ^___^

Weight 165.35lb

Muscle Mass 141.31lb

Height 69in

Bone Mass 7.28lb

Fat Mass 16.75lb

Body Mass Index (BMI) 24.8

Basal Metabolic Rate 1939kcal

Fat Free Mass 148.59lb

Total Body Water 100.75lb

Metabolic Age 18

Body Fat % 10.2%

Visceral Fat 3

Body Water % 60.9%

What are you using to calculate all that? I wantz stats 2! Judging by your stat allocation, clearly you are a Final Fantasy Monk (even the hairstyle proves it).

What are you using to calculate all that? I wantz stats 2! Judging by your stat allocation, clearly you are a Final Fantasy Monk (even the hairstyle proves it).

Get out and buy one of those fancy scales made of glass. ~20 bucks around here. They calculate all that data by touching your feet, somehow.

Mine is lacking one or two features of OA's though. Or maybe he got his stats elsewhere. :)

OA - your stats and mine are creepily similar. I haven't had them measured in a while, but last time it was

if you end up being my doppleganger at MAGfest, we have to fight to the death, just sayin'. Will be awkward for a first meeting, but these things are beyond our control. :-(

Soul Splint, I use a myzone belt that also syncs with one of those scales mentioned earlier. I don't think it's flawlessly accurate, but it's pretty damn close i'd say.

Ok, calculated my stats in US format. I learned that a pound is actually less than half a kilogram :)

179 lbs

73 in

Fat 30.3%

Muscle 41.1%

THW (water right?) 50.8%

Bone 13.4%

I guess I'm the dehydrated large warrior type or something.

Apart from the obvious difference in fat (I was surprised myself), the difference in bone mass is outright freakish when compared to OA's values.

13.4% of 179 lbs are 24 pound.

7.28 lb of Bones, OA? Really? Either one of our scales is off (or I'm not using mine right yet), or I had no clue how different human skeletons can be.

I have no real clue, but 7 lbs of skeleton on a 165 lbs man doesn't sound that realistic to me.

Maybe the bone marrow makes up the larger part of a bone's weight, heh...

Woot was looking for this thread. Just found a good gym again after moving during the summer.

OA where did u go to do the measurements?

Also for anyone looking for a cool healthy snack I started mixing Greek Yogurt and Honey Bunches of Oats cereal for breakfast or lunch. FRIGGIN AWESOME!

____On a side note:

BTW I have two old gym memberships left for Anytime Fitness (good nationwide) for anyone who is looking for a deal. Don't mean to solicit, but if you are interested just PM me and I can transfer one or two of them to you. Will let you know about the details in the PM.

I did them at the gym, and my bone mass is definitely more than 7ish lbs, it'll take several more measurements to get a more accurate reading, but i'd guess that'd be closer to 20 lbs for my height and build, including marrow. That or I am actually a bird. Im not sure if it includes marrow or not, but I am pretty certain that is the heavy part.

The best way to get super-accurate results on this sortof measurement is have a doctor do them with way better tools than a cool scale. With time you can get decent measurements from the scales, but they are better used as a benchmark for tracking progress than a perfect reference.

Also, I am totally a FF monk. I'll be critting for 9999 in no time! :-)

I got one of those scales that measures your rpg stats, and it says I have 9% body fat. That's pretty low innit? I've always been thin. As I've approached 30 I have put on weight, but mostly concentrated in my gut. And I've found specific foods make me gain weight. Go awhile without them and i can lose it.

I am not an athlete btw. Have been working out for a couple months but that's it.

How did everyone do over the holiday? I didn't make it out completely unscathed, but over the 2 day holiday for me, I only went over by about 1500 calories, which is definitely not the end of the world. Back to the gym today, it'll be lighter weight than normal, since the weird workweek means the office is empty and I won't have a spotter. :P

Next week is MAG, and i'll see what kindof gym facilities the Gaylord has, though I am thinking it'll be a ton of pushups, lol.

Oh hi. Just thought I'd stop by and express how happy I am to see two of my favorite sites sharing the love. You can find me at https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Krug/ and ask me if I even lift. Still workin on trying to look like a bodybuilder that's strayed from his gym.

Also, did the OCR group go private? I see it on the list but can't seem to find my way in.

Oh hi. Just thought I'd stop by and express how happy I am to see two of my favorite sites sharing the love. You can find me at https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Krug/ and ask me if I even lift. Still workin on trying to look like a bodybuilder that's strayed from his gym.

Also, did the OCR group go private? I see it on the list but can't seem to find my way in.

hey dude, we made it private after awhile, but since you aren't showing up on my list of people to invite, i can make it public again. :-)

Edited by OA