Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

Who else is starting to lose their patience at the gym with the flood of resolutioners? Don't get me wrong, I commend them for making an effort, but does it really seem like the best place to check your phone is right in front of THE WATER FOUNTAIN?

If it was just once I would ignore it. Three different people in under an hour is cause for concern.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome, guys! I've been doing deloading after hitting my squat goal for the year, and blowing away my deadlift goal. I guess i should recalibrate,since my goals were not set high enough. I am also in a bulk phase, which is surprisingly difficultfor me. Eating way over limit is tough, and i cant wait to get backto cutting. Ill be starting that in a few months, so i am all ready for summer.

Wow, you and I are opposites. I've been pounding 3 to 4k calories a day since November 1, and it's been easy. I'm dreading starting my cutting phase in a couple of weeks, I'll feel like I'm starving all day every day.

But, you can't really appreciate the good weight you've put on until you take off some of the bad weight.

You dudes should give Leangains a shot. I used it last year for a clean bulk, and it worked excellently. I added almost 20 lbs in 4 months (noob gains) with VERY little of that being fat. If you do Paleo like I do, leangains is the perfect approach. The only caveat is that your rate of gaining may be slightly lower compared to a traditional bulk cycle, but you get to skip cutting, so it makes up for that lost time.

@Ecto: Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Leangains, I'll check it out after this summer before I go on another traditional bulk.

@ThinC: Sensa *works*, but I'm not sure it's a fat blocker. Do you have it mixed up with something else, like Alli? I'm pretty sure that Sensa very slightly alters the taste and smell of the food you sprinkle it on, so that you can't tell, but your body can. Apparently your body/brain do not like the taste/smell, so your appetite is sated more quickly. So yes, it works, but if you're sprinkling it on stuff like ice cream and pizza all the time (like the perfectly fit people in the commercials), it won't work that well, because you're still eating junk. Source: I worked at a GNC for over four years, and we were asked about Sensa quite often. My boss did a fair amount of research on it.

Does anyone have any insight on Sensa? It's that stuff you shake on your food and your body doesn't absorb any of the fat content. I've heard people saying it's a scam and yet it's getting so much advertising space that it makes me think it's legit.

... why the hell would you want to avoid fat absorption? It's in your food for a reason (assuming it was not artificially added/a vegetable oil).

Edited by ectogemia

Because I weighed 180 lbs for several years. When I quit my job and did my internship in late 2010, I gained 30 lbs and haven't been able to lose it. There is nothing wrong with my diet, and I go running all the time. This has been going on faithfully for about 17 months, yet now I'm up to 220. And I'm so sick and tired of this extra weight. This means I'm looking into other means than diet and exercise because it isn't working.

Because I weighed 180 lbs for several years. When I quit my job and did my internship in late 2010, I gained 30 lbs and haven't been able to lose it. There is nothing wrong with my diet, and I go running all the time. This has been going on faithfully for about 17 months, yet now I'm up to 220. And I'm so sick and tired of this extra weight. This means I'm looking into other means than diet and exercise because it isn't working.

Tell me what your diet is, and I'll make suggestions which I can almost guarantee will allow you to lose weight.

Also, stop running every day. Prolonged and frequent steady-state cardio like that causes chronic cortisol (stress hormone) release which leads to fat deposition AND insulin resistance (AKA enhanced fat retention). Instead of running, walk. This on its own will set you on a more effective weight-loss path.

Tell me what your diet is, and I'll make suggestions which I can almost guarantee will allow you to lose weight.

Also, stop running every day. Prolonged and frequent steady-state cardio like that causes chronic cortisol (stress hormone) release which leads to fat deposition AND insulin resistance (AKA enhanced fat retention). Instead of running, walk. This on its own will set you on a more effective weight-loss path.

Well, I actually hate running so a couple of days ago after finally being fed up with no results I quit. But I can't sit still so I decided to walk instead. Today I walked 6-7 miles.

So diet.... I know I should eat breakfast. It jump starts your metabolism and get's your body active which in turn causes more energy consumption. But for me it works too well. If I eat breakfast, I'm absolutely starving by 10am. If I don't eat breakfast, I can easily wait on eating till dinner. (yea, I know that in order to lose weight, you gotta eat.)

Anyway, breakfast: It would usually be either cereal (Frosted Shredded Wheat, Honey Nut Cheerios, Total, Golden Grams. Gotta keep a variety.) If not cereal, then a frozen waffle with strawberry yogurt spread on top.

Lunch is usually a salad in the cafeteria. I put a hard boiled egg in along with other vegetables like onions, tomatoes, peppers. Ranch dressing is probably the worst thing in my diet. Usually, a salad is all I eat, unless something good is being served. But that's only once a week. If I don't buy, I make my own sandwich. And let me tell you, they are awesome sandwiches. You start off with buying a whole Italian loaf of bread but instead of cutting it in slices, I only make 3 sandwiches out of the whole thing. You cut the loaf in thirds, and then lengthwise like a sub. I always use turkey or chicken, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayo, and BBQ.

For a snack, I would eat fries..... but the healthy kind. I buy frozen potatoes (0 grams fat) and bake them. Throw on some salt, garlic, dill weed, salsa and you've got a one awesome snack. I have this a few times a week.

Sometimes I go overboard on the yogurt though. I buy it in the quart size and I can go through the entire thing in a couple of sittings. I like putting granola in it. I also eat a lot of nectarines, apples, bananas.

For dinner, it's either Subway, pizza(frozen pizza), stir fry, vegetables, chicken wellington, rotisserie chicken, sometimes chicken chord on bleu goes on sale for a $1.00 apiece so I would eat that. As you can see, I don't eat red meat. Often times I also make myself baked fish sandwiches. I make sure never to eat more than 2 grams saturated fat per serving....except on rare occasions.

The only thing that really isn't healthy is dessert. I will scoop maybe 2 Tablespoons of cookie dough onto a plate and microwave it for about 17 seconds. It's so soft and gooey! I love cookie dough.

But the fact is, I don't eat fast food. I don't eat butter, I cook with olive oil, I don't eat red meat(no bacon!!!!!). If I make popcorn, it's on the stovetop with no added fat. I don't eat cheese. I use ½ percent milk. I don't drink pop, coffee, or alcohol. I drink a gallon of water a day. There's nothing more I can cut! That's why I'm so interested in this alternative method with the sensa. I would appreciate any critique on my diet.