Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

So something strange happened recently. This week, I started wearing a different pair of shoes to go running. And now I can't even go a mile before my lateral ankles ache. So today, I switched back to my other shoes and wouldn't you know it? Now my old shoes also make them ache. It seems so weird that this would happen in such a short time.

Evolution, bro. We didn't evolve to run in these goofy modern shoes with thick heels. Because our bodies tend towards the path of least resistance, we adopted a new gait when these shoes were invented and became widespread. Now, we run in a heel-to-toe pattern which is not the biomechanic which our running kinetic chain evolved to support. Slamming down on your heel over and over while running hyperextends your ankle, knee, hip, and sacrolumbar region. It's no wonder roughly 90% of casual runners experience a running-related injury in a given year. This figure is closer to 10% in runners who run barefoot or wear minimal running shoes.

Lateral foot position and ankle kinesthetic/spatial sense are unclear to your brain when wearing conventional shoes (again, we evolved our proprioception as naked cavemen). Your problem is your shoes and the gait they cause you to adopt. Start running barefoot or in minimal shoes.

Conventional shoes worn during running place extraordinary stress on the knee joint

Running in minimal shoes is still considered barefoot running

Transition slowly

Upgrade your life, and start wearing Vibram Fivefingers all the time. My back pain has vanished, and running is actually fun and pain-free now. Thxx, Vibram! They also just feel "right". Conventional shoes feel so bulky, again, because they disrupt our "expected" proprioception. There's just too much material on them that isn't, well, your foot for your brain to really know where your foot actually *is* when you're wearing them.

Upgrade your life, and start wearing Vibram Fivefingers all the time. My back pain has vanished, and running is actually fun and pain-free now. Thxx, Vibram! They also just feel "right". Conventional shoes feel so bulky, again, because they disrupt our "expected" proprioception. There's just too much material on them that isn't, well, your foot for your brain to really know where your foot actually *is* when you're wearing them.

Ugh, man, my wife bought me a pair of these for Christmas. I wore them like 3 times, and I'm not sure if they don't fit my feet or what but I can't stand wearing them. Aside from the fact that they slide all over the floor of the group fitness room at my gym, I dunno. They just take me forever to put on and they aren't comfortable. They slip off my toes all the time.

Ugh, man, my wife bought me a pair of these for Christmas. I wore them like 3 times, and I'm not sure if they don't fit my feet or what but I can't stand wearing them. Aside from the fact that they slide all over the floor of the group fitness room at my gym, I dunno. They just take me forever to put on and they aren't comfortable. They slip off my toes all the time.

Everyone has different foot anatomy. Some people have toes which descend in length from big toe to little toe. Others have a longer second toe. And the variations just go on and on. Unfortunately, Vibram only manufactures one general blueprint for their shoe shape, so if you don't have compatible foot anatomy, you're kinda SOL.

That being said, there's a little more the equation. You may not have worn them for long enough to adjust. Your foot musculature is shitty and atrophied if you have been wearing conventional shoes for a while, so it does take a couple of weeks to break your foot in to its new home.

Also, sizing is KEY. I wear a 43M. I bought a 44M online once figuring I'd be OK if it were just a little too big. WRONG. I wore them maybe twice before buying a 43M at a local running store. It sounds like yours are maybe too big. If you want to give these shoes another shot, you should head to a running store which carries them and have them fit you for them. They should fit rather snugly, almost just a liiiiitle tightly, and then they will stretch out to the perfect length over the next couple of weeks. I actually just got a new 43M pair of KSO Treks last week, and they're fitting perfectly already.

Oddly enough, I can put both of them on in about 5 seconds now, often hands-free. Quicker than a conventional shoe. It just takes practice and a little toe dexterity.

I think they look too silly. Also, I don't run much, so I guess there's no real need for me.

Generally the people who are doing the running are the ones trying to escape my wrath. </FakeInternetHardAss>

I think they look awesome! :D

And I don't run, either. When I'm cutting, though, I do HIIT sprints. I'd rather be muscular than withered :P I'll take lifting any day. But there's also unstudied but reasonable to assume potential benefits of wearing them during lifting. Studies show that wearing them enhances proprioception. If this extends to lifting (and why the hell wouldn't it?), then wearing these shoes will enhance form while lifting and economize the various kinetic chains of your lifts and potentially allow you to lift more. evrybdy win

Edited by ectogemia

Studies show that wearing them enhances proprioception. If this extends to lifting (and why the hell wouldn't it?), then wearing these shoes will enhance form while lifting and economize the various kinetic chains of your lifts and potentially allow you to lift more. evrybdy win

They're just not going to enhance your chances of picking up chicks, unless you're picking up big bird. I hear he digs brightly colored feet.

For running shoes - getting a gait analysis one at a running store is very useful for having them recommend an appropriate shoe, especially if you have a lot of pronation when you walk/run where getting a shoe that stresses stability is important.

Make sure to know your proper shoe size as well - have it measured too! Getting a running shoe a half a size larger than your regular shoe size is appropriate.

I also should mention that whenever you buy a new pair of running shoes, you have to break them in. For example, it took a 15 mile run for me to break in my current pair (which I have used for about 2 months) - it doesn't need to be something that long, but just some food for thought.

They're just not going to enhance your chances of picking up chicks, unless you're picking up big bird. I hear he digs brightly colored feet.

but is big bird hawt/

Joe has his priorities straight!

On another note, I wonder if I could deadlift big bird..

OK, TODAY, WERE DEADLIFTN BIG BIRD 4 REPZ. HOW MANY BIG BIURDS U GOT IN U?

Two things.

1.) Leg day: They day when I regret that I put my music studio downstairs.

2.) Added some cucumber to my protein shake. Result: AWESOME.

1. Just did squats today. Think I'm gonna sit down til Monday.

2. I've got a weird-ass gene for the taste of several plant compounds that makes a select few plants taste like soap/shit. Cilantro? Soap. Cucumber? Soap. Arugula? Worst flavor ever, cannot even describe.

Here's my protein shake: 1 lb of ground beef + 1 lb of my sweet potato baller mix (1 lb. mashed sweet potatoes, a lot of vanilla extract and cinnamon, a little nutmeg). Mix it all together, and it's somehow insanely delicious. 2000 Calories PWO meal ftw.

Edited by ectogemia

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

Feb. 25 to March 25:

Weight: 196--------->184.6

Bodyfat %: 15.5----------->12.8

Water: 59--------------->61.4

Muscle: 42--------------->42.6

The change in muscle might not seem like a big deal, but I'm an ectomorph, so to be losing fat while even maintaining muscle mass is very nice.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

Feb. 25 to March 25:

Weight: 196--------->184.6

Bodyfat %: 15.5----------->12.8

Water: 59--------------->61.4

Muscle: 42--------------->42.6

The change in muscle might not seem like a big deal, but I'm an ectomorph, so to be losing fat while even maintaining muscle mass is very nice.

Nice! Very solid cut for 1 month.

dafug scale are you using to provide all those stats?

Damn Argle, I'm sad for you :(

Ecto, I don't remember the name of the scale (I'll update later with it, it's something weird like Ozni II) but it's one of those like OA was talking about that has four metal pads that use an electric signal running through your feet to calculate what's going on in your body.

I'm very sad, recovering from hernia surgery, so all the (modest) gains I've made from exercising these last 6 months are gonna be gone by the time I recover. :-( oh well, nothing to be done about it.

Just get back on the horse, man. I ended up dependent on Ambien because no one warned me about how you aren't supposed to take it for more than 2 weeks, and the withdrawal I went through after just 6 weeks of taking it and quitting sapped probably 15 pounds of muscle off of my body (in addition to literally almost killing me). It was SO demoralizing, so I can totally relate, but just get back to it ASAP. I'm almost as strong as I was pre-Ambien. Feels even better getting this strong the second time :D

YOU GOT THIS.

Ecto, I don't remember the name of the scale (I'll update later with it, it's something weird like Ozni II) but it's one of those like OA was talking about that has four metal pads that use an electric signal running through your feet to calculate what's going on in your body.

I wonder how accurate they are. They can't be TOO bad considering you lost weight and the metrics adjusted in a reasonable manner.

That's similar to my logic. When I got it I thought, even if it's not extremely accurate in showing what I am, it should still be very useful in letting me know what kind of progress I'm making. And seeing those numbers change every single week is definitely a good motivator.

I've had people ask me why I don't check my progress every day and I just sigh inwardly...

Sadly I am starting to really struggle with keeping to an every-other-day schedule for my cardio workout... I'm down to 1-2 a week :( I think I'm demoralized because I'm just not seeing any results. Not losing weight, not really feeling particularly better overall in terms of energy level. I know I have to do it for heart health but it's very hard to stay motivated.

I'm also starting to really believe the theory of a "set weight" or "set point" that we are constantly fighting against (those of us who are overweight, anyway). In the last year or so I have started working out (trying to, anyway), switched to a ball instead of a desk chair which I bounce on all day, stopped eating fast food completely, increased my consumption of lean meats vs. everything else (chicken, turkey), switched to eating eggs some days for breakfast instead of cereal, etc.

I stopped buying candy and fatty desserts pretty much entirely. I don't drink anything except water. I don't eat chips, pretzels or other junky snack foods. I don't get pre-processed microwave dinners, and I don't eat out much at all. I cook the vast majority of what I eat with basic ingredients. I also switched over entirely from 'white' carbs to whole wheat over the last couple years.. brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, etc. Yet despite this mountain of changes I haven't lost any weight. It sucks.

I stopped buying candy and fatty desserts pretty much entirely. I don't drink anything except water. I don't eat chips, pretzels or other junky snack foods. I don't get pre-processed microwave dinners, and I don't eat out much at all. I cook the vast majority of what I eat with basic ingredients. I also switched over entirely from 'white' carbs to whole wheat over the last couple years.. brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, etc. Yet despite this mountain of changes I haven't lost any weight. It sucks.

Pretty much I was planning to do all what you said here to start a diet but I feel the same would happen to me...I think the biggest thing just comes down to exercise.

Man, I keep forgetting to check this thread and now I'm way behind!

OA, way to go on your deadlift progress! Think you can make it to 4 plate before I make it to 5? :-P

Zircon, those changes are all well and good, but at the end of the day it comes down to simply calories in versus calories out. There are finer details to speak volumes on of course, but this is the core principal. Find a calculator online to estimate your body's daily maintenance calories and then plan your diet to be under that amount. 500 under is a good baseline. Do this and you will lose weight no matter what. It is the exercise and quality of your food, however, that determines how that weight is lost, same as if you were trying to gain weight. As I am trying to bulk up, I could just pig out on junk and not lift and I'd gain weight, but it would be all fat. Because I want that bulk to be muscle, that's were the heavy lifting and emphasis on protein comes in (among other things).

It's easy to feel like there are limitations, genetic or otherwise, that are keeping you from changing your body for the better. As a lifelong scrawny kid with aspirations of being big and strong I know this feeling better than most. And perhaps there is some truth to that - not everyone can be Bill Kazmier or Mariuz Pudzinowsky. But barring some rare genetic defect, everyone is capable of improving their body to various degrees of greatness. After enough time and effort, you start to realize you're not fighting against your body's sense of weight equilibrium, but rather you are fighting against your mind's equilibrium against major changes in your life, the sum of all the little details over the course of a lifetime that overwhelm most people and put them off of the idea of diet and exercise forever. Don't be overwhelmed. Not only is it not as bad as you think, if you do it right you'll even start to enjoy it. :mrgreen:

Since it's late as hell and I'm rambling on half awake I'll end with something familiar. It's not the net result of your body's genetic potential that's important. It's the day to day routines, and personal records. The celebration of health and fitness. It's enough if people are able to experience the joy that rigorous exercise brings.

https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Krug/?feed

think the biggest thing just comes down to exercise.

I think this statement is a misconception that the general population has, and it stops them from getting where they want to go. Krug is right - calories in vs. calories out. 1 pound of weight equals about 3500 calories. To lose 1 pound a week, you actually physically must consume 500 less calories than your maintenance level for that week.

Now, you can make that gap happen two ways: diet and exercise. To "work off" 500 calories, you can bet on doing probably about an hour of medium to high intensity cardio. Or you can NOT eat a few things. In my opinion, it's way less time consuming to NOT do something than to do an hour of something :P

Zircon, I'm not sure what your workout regimen is, but you might want to take some focus off cardio. If you lift weights, try lifting BEFORE your cardio. Lifting is going to burn the carbs you have available, and then the cardio can start to work on the fat stores. If you just do cardio, all you're doing for the first 20-30 minutes is burning carbs that you just ate. If you're not lifting weights, I recommend starting. There's a misconception that cardio > weights when trying to lose weight, because people associate lifting with bulking up. Mix it up a bit and I bet that will do two things: get you the results you want and make working out less abysmally boring. Personally, an hour of straight cardio - ESPECIALLY if I'm doing it on some repetitive machine inside a gym - is worse than watching daytime television.

Also - studies show that long-term low intensity cardio (walking for an hour) does better things for you than short term high-intensity cardio (running 3 miles).

EDIT: Zircon, if you want to go extreme with your diet, try going paleo for a month. If you cut out cookies and cake but your meals mostly consist of bread, pasta, cereal, and rice, it's going to be REALLY tough for you to see results. I know they're cheaper and they generally taste good, but complex cabohydrates just aren't good for you, despite what the FDA's food pyramid tries to sell us. The mountain of evidence that shows how damaging to your intestinal track processed grains are is growing veeery fast. :)

My wife is beyond knowledgeable about the nutrition side, so if you want some reading material, let me know. Everything I know I've learned by osmosis from her.

Edited by XPRTNovice

Well said, Krug and XPRT.

And it's true, Zircon, that while the foods you are taking in are very important, the amount of daily calories you are taking in from that food is also very important. Like Krug suggested, figure out what your daily caloric needs are and find your minimum and maximum daily intake for weight loss.

For example, based on my lifestyle and body composition, my minimum caloric intake for weight loss is about 1600 calories (meaning if I take in less than this I'll start feeling bad) and my max is 2200. I do a little over 1600 calories on the two days a week that I don't work out, I do about 1800-1900 calories on four of the five days I do work out, and then I do pretty close to 2200 on leg day because that's the day I burn the most calories.

It can be a bit of a pain to set up and track your foods at first, but once you get in the swing of it you'll do it almost subconsciously; you'll know what portions to eat of what kind of food, and the fat will start dropping steadily.

And to Ecto: the scale I'm using is an Ozeri, very easy to set up and use.

Edited by Soul Splint