Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

yeah it's a pretty strange concept to me. If you look at me you wouldn't think anything but "thin". I have skinny arms and legs, although working out has made some progress that area. yet from my mid 20s onward I've been getting fat buildup in my belly, boobs, and butt. I just put it down to getting older, but it could definitely be food related. I'm already aware of the negative potential of food, having grown up with a ton of food allergies.

I bet Ecto can clear this up, but ultimately you should try exactly what soul splint said and cut your grains and complex carbs like sugars. Sounds like your insulin response levels might be causing you to build up excess glycogen stores around the organs around there. That's why, locationally, people tend to build fat on their bellies first when complex carbs are the problem.

Sounds legit to me except one little pissant correction :P Complex carbs are technically sugars, but in nutritional vernacular, carbs are the real umbrella term, then it goes to complex and simple carbs, and "sugar" falls under simple carbs. Complex carbs include primarily starch and glycogen.

Basically, for your carb intake, stay completely away from simple sugars except in fruits (which should still be eaten as only a small part of the diet). Eat ~150 g of complex carbs on workout days (should be 3-4 days per week) and < 50 g on rest days, ideally no more than you need to feel and perform well. Eat lots of proteinaceous food like meat to replace the calories from carbs. You'll feel awesome, shed fat effortlessly, and never be hungry again. It's a nice thing.

Ugh. I must have lost 15 lbs by now, maybe more.

in one month? Did you stop eating altogether? :-(

That is super sad though, heal up fast and maybe go at a more patient pace.

I've switched to volume training for the next few months, since I like to change up my routine every 3-4 months. It's only a few weeks in, but I am having fun, and seeing good results. the basic premise of it is 10x10 at 60% 1RM for the main lifts (incline bench, chin-up, dips, squats, leg curls), and 3x10 for the other stuff. Requires a lot more sleep than normal, about 9hrs a night, and a lot more food, but I'm up 4lb and down .1% bf, so at least some of that has got to be muscle. I'd hope around 1lb muscle and 3lb water. :P

in one month? Did you stop eating altogether? :-(

Actually, kinda. The transition into the clinical part of dental school didn't go smoothly for me since I had a bunch of mishaps at the beginning of the process. So my confidence was sorta shot from that, I wasn't able to lift, I was having some marital issues at the time, and yeah... all that stress sorta came together to destroy my appetite and sleep + gobs of bonus cortisol put my body into a VERY catabolic state. It was just the worst timing for all these things to happen at once. And, of course, I'm a moderate hardgainer, so I don't hold onto the muscle quite like some people do; gotta keep up with the training and diet to a T in order to have success in the gym.

On the bright side, I lost probably 50% or more of the fat I gained while bulking. Huzzah!

Edited by ectogemia

I'm back everyone! It's been years, but I'm finally about as athletic as I was back at university. Back then, if I was to play any sport with a serious group I was better than about 70% of them. But not because of skill. My greatest weapon was my limitless energy. After doing nothing but running for 2 years, and then low carb dieting recently, I had absolutely no energy. After 15 minutes of Ultimate frisbee I would be redlining at 192 bpm. Now I just didd a 2 hour, 15 minute basketball game (well 4 games at least) and I had energy all throughout the entire night. Tore out my feet though, I'm going to have to buy different shoes.

But I'm just so happy. I'm an athlete again! Hopefully the blisters on the bottom of my toes will heal by saturday because I am never giving this up again.

I'm back everyone! It's been years, but I'm finally about as athletic as I was back at university. Back then, if I was to play any sport with a serious group I was better than about 70% of them. But not because of skill. My greatest weapon was my limitless energy. After doing nothing but running for 2 years, and then low carb dieting recently, I had absolutely no energy. After 15 minutes of Ultimate frisbee I would be redlining at 192 bpm. Now I just didd a 2 hour, 15 minute basketball game (well 4 games at least) and I had energy all throughout the entire night. Tore out my feet though, I'm going to have to buy different shoes.

But I'm just so happy. I'm an athlete again! Hopefully the blisters on the bottom of my toes will heal by saturday because I am never giving this up again.

hoooray, congrats! Heal up and keep pwning!

• 2 weeks later...

Training for me is going well, I'm about a month into volume training and seeing tons of gainzzz~~~~ Up to 177lb and 10.4%BF! Bring on the trash talk!

Also, for those with small pec sensitivity, don't click this link: Moonlapse doesn't post here much, but he has been kicking ass now that he lives on a ranch and if lifting horses or something. I don't think he'll mind posting this insane shot of him. I will live vicariously through his greatness, and Opeth tattoo! Also him trying to look tough is hilarious. ;-)

captain badass

Welp, my arms are finally healed. Man, I'm terrified to see how much mass I've dropped. It's gotta be near 30 lbs. The life of a hardgainer :(

Oh well, back to the gym later this week. Gotta re-embark on my quest 4 strength. Hopefully, I can get back to where I was by the time MAGFest rolls around.

Edited by ectogemia

Welp, my arms are finally healed. Man, I'm terrified to see how much mass I've dropped. It's gotta be near 30 lbs. The life of a hardgainer :(

This. It sucks. Your name also carries the hidden meaning of ectomorph, right? Or was that just a (un)happy coincidence?

But at least you already blazed that 30-pound trail, hopefully you can get back up there without as much sweat and tears as before.

On a sidenote, I consumed about 3,000 good calories yesterday between noon and 8 p.m. Once my stomach stretches out a bit I'll be adding to that. And you're right, it's not as much fun as it sounds.

Got my iron cross again (though not as solid as it was in my competitive days). Close to getting the maltese back; my goal is to get my Nakayama (pull from back lever to iron cross) consistent by the end of the year; I haven't done one in at least a year and a half, though it was my favorite strength move back when I was still seriously training rings.

My planche is still as strong as ever; I never seem to lose that skill no matter how little I train it.

I'm extremely jealous of my friend, his before and after pictures are pretty inspiring. I've been mulling over getting back into shape. Last night kinda pushed me over the edge when I reached for that bag of chips and realized "Shit Halt, there was a time when you'd eat anything but chips, candy, junk foods."

So I'm starting p90x again! Stopped after I was in a car accident a couple years ago.

My schedule is never consistent (The life of a retail worker.) So I'm picking up some bands, and have a couple free weights already. I figure I'll do p90x the days I don't work, and fashion something else with the bands when I do work.

It's something right? And this fitocracy seems radical.

Got my iron cross again (though not as solid as it was in my competitive days). Close to getting the maltese back; my goal is to get my Nakayama (pull from back lever to iron cross) consistent by the end of the year.

You must eat pull-ups for lunch.

So I'm starting p90x again! Stopped after I was in a car accident a couple years ago.

My schedule is never consistent (The life of a retail worker.) So I'm picking up some bands, and have a couple free weights already. I figure I'll do p90x the days I don't work, and fashion something else with the bands when I do work.

It's something right? And this fitocracy seems radical.

It's absolutely something. Go ahead and make your own before picture to give you resolve for the after picture. I have a before picture from before I started hitting the gym hard last winter, and it's fun to look at now. Makes you want to go even further.

Got my iron cross again (though not as solid as it was in my competitive days). Close to getting the maltese back; my goal is to get my Nakayama (pull from back lever to iron cross) consistent by the end of the year; I haven't done one in at least a year and a half, though it was my favorite strength move back when I was still seriously training rings.

You are awesome. Also, when I tried to figure out what a nakayama was, I found this:

I don't think that's what you meant, but that's pretty retardedly awesome.

Also, for those with small pec sensitivity, don't click this link: Moonlapse doesn't post here much, but he has been kicking ass now that he lives on a ranch and if lifting horses or something. I don't think he'll mind posting this insane shot of him. I will live vicariously through his greatness, and Opeth tattoo! Also him trying to look tough is hilarious. ;-)

captain badass

Jeez, when did Walter White get so swoll? Badass tattoo as well. Love that band.

Soooooo...it's probably been discussed somewhere in this enormous thread, but have any of you guys done Tabata? I've been doing it now for a few months and it's pretty sweet. It's pretty much just high intensity interval training, but I'm definitely a fan. I only get a chance to do it once a week (Wednesdays) but they switch the routine up frequently at the Y and it has almost always kicked my ass. Think I'm seeing some real gains in terms of endurance, which is really what I want to focus on.

Soooooo...it's probably been discussed somewhere in this enormous thread, but have any of you guys done Tabata? I've been doing it now for a few months and it's pretty sweet. It's pretty much just high intensity interval training, but I'm definitely a fan. I only get a chance to do it once a week (Wednesdays) but they switch the routine up frequently at the Y and it has almost always kicked my ass. Think I'm seeing some real gains in terms of endurance, which is really what I want to focus on.

I'm doing tabatas lately. At 4 minutes a pop it lets me do 5 exercises in 20 minutes. Nice and short, but I'm winded like I ran a marathon afterwards.