Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

Sorry for the double post, but I saw something pretty damn awesome in the gym today. For more context in this story, today is my birthday (27).

I'm working out, it's shoulder day (favorite day!), and I glance in the mirror as I'm walking by to pick up my dumbbells for some shrugs. I notice my arm and think to myself, "Man, I've got so much more work to do. I can see changes, but I need to do more." I wouldn't say I got disheartened here, if anything I got a little more motivated.

Then I see this guy go walking by I've never seen in our gym before. He had some pretty serious birth defects, to where it looked like both of his hands were turned around 180 degrees from what they should have been. Very skinny, almost emaciated.

And his shirt was wet with sweat.

He was killing it on the machines, especially plate-loaded rows. I don't know how he was gripping the handles, but he was definitely giving it all he was worth. I wanted to tell him how awesome he was for working his ass off like that, but I didn't want to embarrass him or have him think I was patronizing him.

Definite "shame on me" moment. I may not be exactly where I want fitness-wise, but I am very blessed with the body and ability to change myself. Sometimes I forget that others aren't so fortunate.

Rock on, guy who is in many ways bigger than me. Rock on.

I've decided to take a month off exercising due to various and sundry tendonitis problems. I took a week off but that wasn't enough. I'm actually kind of scared to do it, the specter of muscle loss is pretty depressing. But that itself is probably reason to do it... doesn't seem like a healthy headspace to be in if you feel too macho to give something up.

wisdom

I love it when life gives you some much needed perspective once in a while.

I've decided to take a month off exercising due to various and sundry tendonitis problems. I took a week off but that wasn't enough. I'm actually kind of scared to do it, the specter of muscle loss is pretty depressing. But that itself is probably reason to do it... doesn't seem like a healthy headspace to be in if you feel too macho to give something up.

Well, dude, if it helps at all, I took 4 months off because my stress fractured ulna took its sweet fucking time to heal. I lost 33 lbs during my time off, but I've put on about 14-15 lbs. in the past 4 weeks. So it comes back, and fast! If you need time to heal, take it. Best not to risk permanent injury. Live to lift another day.

Alright I've been doing sets of push-ups, sit-ups, and then body-weight squats. I'm getting bored of the sit-ups and body-weight squats. The sit-ups because of the concerns/preferences you guys have posted previously and the fact that I'm probably still doing them wrong and will end up hurting my back somehow. The body-weight squats because they're, well, boring.

To review my situation, I don't have cash for a gym membership and I'm much more easily motivated to work out at home since it's "more time efficient" in my mind. Stupid, I know, but that's how I am for now.

What do you guys recommend that I add to my work out? I can probably afford a pair or two of free weights, some cables, and/or a pull-up bar. Though I'm not sure I want to install a pull-up bar in my house (not gonna lie, I'm at the parents' place to save on rent and I don't think they would want me to install one).

Alright I've been doing sets of push-ups, sit-ups, and then body-weight squats. I'm getting bored of the sit-ups and body-weight squats. The sit-ups because of the concerns/preferences you guys have posted previously and the fact that I'm probably still doing them wrong and will end up hurting my back somehow. The body-weight squats because they're, well, boring.

To review my situation, I don't have cash for a gym membership and I'm much more easily motivated to work out at home since it's "more time efficient" in my mind. Stupid, I know, but that's how I am for now.

What do you guys recommend that I add to my work out? I can probably afford a pair or two of free weights, some cables, and/or a pull-up bar. Though I'm not sure I want to install a pull-up bar in my house (not gonna lie, I'm at the parents' place to save on rent and I don't think they would want me to install one).

Well, it depends upon what your goals are. If you're shooting for big strength gains, a gym membership will be necessary to have access to things like a squat rack, barbells, lots of weight, etc. If there's a Planet Fitness around you, it's only $10/mo.

If you're going for muscle growth (hypertrophy is the googleable word here in case you want to look into it more), you may be able to get by with dumbbells and a chin-up bar. You'd be missing some basic equipment to do certain lifts, but a set of dumbbells and a chin-up bar will still go a long way as long as you've got enough weight to make the dumbbells pretty heavy.

If you're going for general functional fitness, body weight stuff will get you there. Something like yoga would be a good endurance, strength, and flexibility hybrid exercise for you in that case.

If you've got fat to lose, daily long walks of 45 minutes+ in addition to two HIIT/Tabata-style sprints per week will trim you down very quickly. Keep in mind that the more cardio you do, the fewer resources there will be to fuel muscle growth from lifting. So for my goal at the moment, which is pure strength gains, I'm doing 0 cardio to maximize my rate of fast-twitch muscle growth. If your goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, you'll gain muscle at a lower rate if you're walking+sprinting as well. Just something to think about.

Edited by ectogemia

Soul Splint, that is a great story, and probably some great motivation for all of us .)

I came here to give a little status update:

I've been doing my routine pretty regularly for about 3 months now. Briefly: my routine is 3x cardio/week alternated with 3x muscle-training floor exercises, as well as shifting my diet to incorporate more calories from protein.

I am seeing a tiny bit of change in the shape of my abs (my original goal), but it's not a lot. I can just tell probably because of over-obsessing and staring at the mirror too much .P I am seeing the beginnings of some definition around the sides of my waistline, and just below my rib cage.

But the thing is, it doesn't bother me that there isn't much visible change. More noticeable -- and satisfying -- by far is the physical change that I feel, and mental as well. I look forward to my workouts every day, whereas when I started, I felt that muscle training was unpleasant and painful. I feel so good after every time I work out, so I know that it's worth putting in the hard work, I'll feel the benefit immediately.

I have had an insanely stressful past few weeks, starting a new job, and before that, having to be a nomad and traveling around a ton. My whole schedule got turned on its head, and I was left with almost no free time. The ONE thing that I really really wanted to squeeze in the time for? Working out. I did it at friends' houses, after work when I didn't have time for anything else, pushed my curfew a little for it when I was already insanely tired. I feel like it is keeping me sane and giving me a sense of building mastery, an anchor when everything else around me is chaos. I can also tell that I am getting in better shape because I am gradually able to take on more reps and increase the difficulty. I don't get very sore afterwards anymore.

Diet-wise, I haven't made a major change. I just try and make sure I include at least one good source of protein in each meal, and I will eat a high-protein snack on most days. Things that are tofu-based or bean-based, rather than just grain-based. It's really not too far from where I already was, just shifting the ratio of calories a bit. But now that I am more conscious of where my calories are coming from, I am better able to make sure my meals are satisfying, and also to create the correct portion, so I'm not eating too much or too little (both of which have been problems for me at times).

Edited by Diodes

Well, it depends upon what your goals are. If you're shooting for big strength gains, a gym membership will be necessary to have access to things like a squat rack, barbells, lots of weight, etc. If there's a Planet Fitness around you, it's only $10/mo.

If you're going for muscle growth (hypertrophy is the googleable word here in case you want to look into it more), you may be able to get by with dumbbells and a chin-up bar. You'd be missing some basic equipment to do certain lifts, but a set of dumbbells and a chin-up bar will still go a long way as long as you've got enough weight to make the dumbbells pretty heavy.

If you're going for general functional fitness, body weight stuff will get you there. Something like yoga would be a good endurance, strength, and flexibility hybrid exercise for you in that case.

If you've got fat to lose, daily long walks of 45 minutes+ in addition to two HIIT/Tabata-style sprints per week will trim you down very quickly. Keep in mind that the more cardio you do, the fewer resources there will be to fuel muscle growth from lifting. So for my goal at the moment, which is pure strength gains, I'm doing 0 cardio to maximize my rate of fast-twitch muscle growth. If your goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, you'll gain muscle at a lower rate if you're walking+sprinting as well. Just something to think about.

It's kind of a mix of all three. :tomatoface: First priority is to lose my stomach fat (a lot of my body fat is located there). At the same time I wanted to start building my endurance and putting on a bit more muscle, especially for the upper body.

Thanks for the advice! It's been really helpful :)

I think I might have outdone Ecto at his own game. Dinner Saturday night = one pound of ground, grass-fed, organic bison, and most of a bundle of kale sauteed in butter and uncured bacon grease with uncured bacon crumbles in it.

Take that, dentist-man.:tomatoface:

My food twin <3 Enjoy your gains, haha. Plenty of protein and then some. Plus, all that shit is delish.

In other news, I think I'm gonna hit 170 again by MAGFest! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a month since I stopped exercising, two months total since I got the rotator cuff injury. Resuming exercising a week after getting it was really stupid on my part, no doubt delayed the recovery. Pain is getting better, but VERY slowly. I think I'm gonna try to get a referral to a PT, maybe they can speed up the process. At the least I would like advice on when I can resume some kind of normal strenth training. Obviously things like ring flies and handstand pushups are completely out of the question... tried the latter other day as a test, couldn't even do half a rep. So I still have a long way to go. Doubt I'm breaking news to anyone, but don't fuck around with joint problems.

That awesome, awesome, AWESOME feeling when someone you haven't seen for about a month looks at your torso before looking at your face and says, "You've gotten bigger."

That's it, this day is a wrap. Nothing more to see here; victory was achieved.

On a separate note, I got a kick-ass workout hoodie that I need to get a pic of and post on here. I'm a firm believer that the more badass you feel in the gym, the more badass you will train. And I feel all kinds of badass in this thing.

How's the shoulder, Argle? If you happen to be in the middle to eastern U.S. I imagine the cold isn't doing you any favors.