Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

I m a big advocate of adding weight to chin/pullups, once you can do 3 sets of 8 with full ROM, and I have seen the most back development from that. It is definitely something you work your way into, but it can be super effective. I've slowly been increasing weight over the last year with good success, and have been able to maintain good form and sets.

I m a big advocate of adding weight to chin/pullups, once you can do 3 sets of 8 with full ROM, and I have seen the most back development from that. It is definitely something you work your way into, but it can be super effective. I've slowly been increasing weight over the last year with good success, and have been able to maintain good form and sets.

Completely agree, weighted pulls were definitely the biggest factor behind the change in my back.

Neblix: Soreness is not NECESSARILY an indicator that you're training too hard / not hard enough. These days I don't get as sore as I used to. Of course you do want to be challenging yourself in each session (otherwise, you won't benefit nearly as much) but just because you're not sore doesn't mean you're not working hard.

What's your routine like?

Right now, to start, I'm mimicking half of a friend's workout. The other half he spends lifting on weekends, but I just haven't been in Philly to go with him (until this weekend).

I'm really too lazy to try and format the workout here, so let me just link my last tracked thing. https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36038202/

Yo, so I got back into routine, and the next couple days I got sick.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I'll be on hiatus due to an injury, get 1-2 days in back at the gym and bam, congested, sore throat, coughing.

Is there a reason for this or do I just have shitty luck? :(

Edited by Halt

Yo, so I got back into routine, and the next couple days I got sick.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I'll be on hiatus due to an injury, get 1-2 days in back at the gym and bam, congested, sore throat, coughing.

Is there a reason for this or do I just have shitty luck? :(

Hmm. Off the top of my head, I'd say you're either allergic to something in your gym (like mold) or you're catching stuff from your fellow gym-goers. If you don't already, make sure you avoid touching your face/mouth etc. during your workout, then wash your hands really well after you're finished. To cement my point, yesterday as I was getting dressed after training three guys came in within about five minutes of each other to use the stalls. NONE of them washed their hands after, and the last one didn't even flush.

Just, eww.

Hmm. Off the top of my head, I'd say you're either allergic to something in your gym (like mold) or you're catching stuff from your fellow gym-goers. If you don't already, make sure you avoid touching your face/mouth etc. during your workout, then wash your hands really well after you're finished. To cement my point, yesterday as I was getting dressed after training three guys came in within about five minutes of each other to use the stalls. NONE of them washed their hands after, and the last one didn't even flush.

Just, eww.

It's happened at two different gyms! :( And i'm not allergic to anything, but I suppose mold could do it, heh. It's just disappointing because I get all stoked to be back in the gym, and then I get sick.

sounds like bad luck to me :-(

Poop. Well I'm fortunately feeling much better today. I think it's time to go back!

My gym doesn't have 15lb dumbbells. Trying to step from 10 to 20 and it's proving a little difficult. I'm getting there, though.

Wow. That's perhaps the worst number to have to skip, I use 15s all the time. Back when I only worked out at home, there was a 2-3 month period where I had 5s and 15s but no 10s, so I would strap on some 2 lb wrist weights while using the 5s to equate to 7 lbs, which helped a bit. Maybe you can find a similar hack.

Wow. That's perhaps the worst number to have to skip, I use 15s all the time. Back when I only worked out at home, there was a 2-3 month period where I had 5s and 15s but no 10s, so I would strap on some 2 lb wrist weights while using the 5s to equate to 7 lbs, which helped a bit. Maybe you can find a similar hack.

I have 1.5 lb wrist rings for Kung Fu training, and 6 of them, so maybe that'll help.

Today's training session brought to you by the letter 'uunnnngggghhhhh.'

So, I tried something a bit different today for the deadlift portion of my session. Five work sets of deadlifts, followed by four supersets of Romanian deadlifts and standing leg curls. I have a feeling my inner-toddler will be doing the walking tomorrow.

pork ribs in the slow cooker. I make these all the time. Rub them with whatever you want and be generous. I just use salt, garlic, steak &burger. Throw the ribs in the slow cooker and make sure to press the meaty side against the sides of the pot. Cook on low for 7 hours and make sure to drain the juices one time about 2 hours in. After 7 hours of cooking, throw the ribs in a pan and coat with BBQ sauce. Put the pan in the oven at 450° or broil for 12 minutes and burn the BBQ on. You're done.

10440947_10152257658088893_4835858616608125488_n.jpg?oh=aa24ffc07b98790f5422942802295816&oe=54B30CF2

The white stuff is onion I put into the cooker as well. I think this picture was taken just before putting into the oven.

Those three are very important for building strength. Deadlifts and some kind of back-focused exercise like barbell rows, dumbbell rows, or seated rows, are also worthwhile.

My recipes are not worth posting since they're all gross :-) Low calorie, ultra-high protein, not a lot of flavor.

Unrelated, and I told OA this already, but I finally got an MRI for my back injury which started in July. It found I have a 3mm herniated disc causing compression (and hence pain). The next disc down is also bulging, causing stiffness, and an annular tear. Finally, one MORE disc down, I have a broad based 'protrusion' extending to both sides.

In short: I fucked up my back. Oops.

Can some of you dudes post some rad crock-pot recipes?
Google 'meat slop' recipes. Can make it however you want with tons of different ingredients, probably the easiest thing in the world to keep making variations of it in a crock pot.
In short: I fucked up my back. Oops.

That. Sucks. So. Bad.

And that's why you don't do deadlifts.

Be careful who you say that around :wink:

This is exactly why I am so, so careful on my deadlifts, though. However, injuries like that can happen on a variety of exercises. Deadlift is probably most common because of the amount of people who do it incorrectly. More than half of the deadlifters in my gym do it with their backs bent into the shape of a horseshoe.

I use the seated row machine on Tuesdays.

Right now I do 70 lbs, 3 sets of 10.

Good for you, don't underestimate what building up your back can do for overall strength as well as your posture. Keep it up :-)

And TC, as far as your 5k goes, that sounds like a pretty awesome time, but I despise running, so my experience is super-limited.

I feel hesitant to post in here because there have been times before, MANY times before, where I decided I should finally exercise and lose the 40 to 50 pounds I've put on in the last decade and then quit within days (in fact, this happened before, and I posted in here back then when I got started). Used the gym at my job for a few days two years ago, and stopped. Bought an exercise bike and put it in my bedroom, next to my bed, but then used it maybe three times over the past year.

But after a cosplay friend of mine recommended My Fitness App on iOS about a week ago to start calorie counting what I was eating, I saw exactly what I was taking in and started thinking. I realized that I'd actually been maintaining my current weight for months, and that losing weight was actually a feasible proposition; all I had to do was get off my ass and work out.

So on Saturday, now armed with Chromecast and a ton of random stuff to watch on my TV courtesy of that, I hopped on the exercise bike for an hour. Saw a legitimate breakdown of what I'd burned, thanks to a combination of that app and an exercise watch I had to buy on Amazon because the calorie counter display in the bike is dead and I'm too lazy to open it up and replace the battery, lol.

To my surprise, and likely entirely because of how easy it is to put two episodes of Doctor Who on (I started watching near the end of Ten's run so I'm catching up on Nine) and have the time fly by like nothing, I've managed 90 minutes on that bike at a moderate and non-painful pace every day over the past five. That's not a lot of time of course; the clincher is seeing if I'm still keeping that up five weeks from now.

BUT. I'm actually starting to really enjoy exercising, which has never happened before; it was always just a necessary evil before now. And if I do keep that up for the next five weeks, it's very possible I'll have already lost 25 pounds by then.

You guys, I'm so stupid excited! I may never become the practical minded non-procrastinator I've always wanted to be; I'm pretty sure I'll remain some type of lazy ass for all time. But at least I can finally see the potential in getting serious about exercising.

Edited by Arrow

Pure, unadulterated awesomeness.

This post deserves all kinds of props. The fact that you are enjoying yourself and are excited about what's on the road ahead is a wonderful and addictive thing. I have no doubt you are going to reach your goal and go beyond. Please keep us updated on your progress!:nicework:

• 2 weeks later...

Last two days I woke up to a rooster crowing. Right outside my window about 20 feet away on the other side of a mostly dry riverbed. Today when I woke up I went outside and chased it for 15 minutes through through the overgrown vacant lot while carrying a big stick. I felt like a slasher movie.

So..... how many points is that? lol

Edited by Thin Crust