Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

I'd be down with that as well, but I might embarrass myself.

That's the point! You need to spend all your seriousness on the task of lifting, meaning that there is no seriousness left for demeanor. That means we can have a fun time being supportive of each other, and also get a Kpop boy band dance party going during the sets. Everyone wins, except those who don't like Kpop boybands, but they are too young, they don't understand anything but despair.

Man, this kind of stuff makes me so angry. Not because this guy is claiming to have done this stuff or because of the 12k point workout, but because there are undoubtedly people very new to lifting who see this and believe it, and think to themselves, "Geez, I'll never be able to achieve that. What's the point of trying?"

I came across this guy's feed and he is of very average-looking build. I would be very impressed if he were able to legitimately bench 275 for three correct reps, given his size appearance. But look at what he claims he did in one training session:

Barbell Bench Press

135 lb x 25 reps

225 lb x 15 reps

275 lb x 10 reps

325 lb x 5 reps

225 lb x 10 reps

Wide-Grip Barbell Bench Press

135 lb x 25 reps

225 lb x 15 reps

275 lb x 10 reps

325 lb x 5 reps

225 lb x 10 reps

Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press

135 lb x 25 reps

225 lb x 15 reps

275 lb x 10 reps

325 lb x 5 reps

225 lb x 10 reps

Push-Up

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

Wide Arm Push-Up

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

Diamond Push-Up

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

100 reps

Bent-Arm Dumbbell Pullover

75 lb x 13 reps

75 lb x 11 reps

75 lb x 9 reps

75 lb x 11 reps

75 lb x 13 reps

Lying Barbell Triceps Extension

75 lb x 11 reps

75 lb x 9 reps

85 lb x 7 reps

95 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 3 reps

Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension

35 lb x 11 reps

35 lb x 9 reps

35 lb x 7 reps

35 lb x 5 reps

50 lb x 3 reps

Dips - Chest Version

50 reps

45 reps

40 reps

35 reps

30 reps

25 reps

20 reps

Dips - Triceps Version

100 reps

75 reps

50 reps

75 reps

100 reps

Weighted Russian Twist

10 lb x 25 reps

10 lb x 25 reps

10 lb x 25 reps

10 lb x 25 reps

10 lb x 25 reps

Band-Resisted Prayer Press

100 reps | 1 and 3/4-inch band

Weighted Decline Sit-Up

25 lb x 35 reps

25 lb x 35 reps

35 lb x 25 reps

35 lb x 25 reps

45 lb x 15 reps

Triceps Pushdown - Rope Attachment

100 lb x 15 reps

100 lb x 15 reps

100 lb x 15 reps

100 lb x 15 reps

100 lb x 15 reps

Tricep Dumbbell Kickback

35 lb x 13 reps

35 lb x 11 reps

35 lb x 9 reps

50 lb x 7 reps

50 lb x 5 reps

Incline Dumbbell Flyes

50 lb x 13 reps

50 lb x 13 reps

50 lb x 13 reps

50 lb x 13 reps

50 lb x 13 reps

I'm not going to waste time pointing out the dozen or so ways this is not possible…but it just burns me up knowing how disheartening it must be to the novices who see stuff like this and believe it.

Sorry, rant over.

Spread over the day, and if he were on gear maybe.

I wouldn't even buy it then. After doing all that benching, which in of itself would be a very good chest workout for the day (and I still maintain he couldn't do that weight for those reps if at all, ESPECIALLY on close-grip), he did:

1500 pushups (including 500 diamond pushups. Just...no. Not happening).

245 chest dips

400 tricep dips (note the order: he did a set of 100, then 75, then 50, then 75, then 100? Wat?)

500 reps of prayer presses with the thickest standard industry band

And a crap-ton of HEAVY accessory work.

Just not buying it, no matter the circumstances. Pretty sure Arnold would look at this and laugh.

i wouldn't worry about it too much, that sort of thing is pretty rare. There is one where some lady ran 75 miles on a treadmill in 10 minutes. XD

Eh, I'm not worried about it for me. I'm worried about the newbie who benches 135 for three cleans reps and feels good and motivated about himself, then sees something like this that totally deflates and discourages him. But you're right, it is thankfully pretty rare on Fito.

Today I learned I'm back to heavily modified push-ups. (Doing it on an ottoman!!

The sadness is palpable.

I know the better route for really good gains is spread out really intense training but I think I'm trying to get my "feet wet" again so I'll just do progressively more training each morning until I'm not dying after 10 minutes, once I can do simple stuff for 30 minutes I'll give the rest of it a go. I feel like doing basic calisthenics is great for me because it circumvents nearly all my de-motivators and just gets me moving.

I feel like doing basic calisthenics is great for me because it circumvents nearly all my de-motivators and just gets me moving.

This is a golden attitude to have. Many people, when starting or re-starting, have an all-or-nothing mentality. Props to you for recognizing the healthy way to get back into the swing of things. :nicework:

This is a golden attitude to have. Many people, when starting or re-starting, have an all-or-nothing mentality. Props to you for recognizing the healthy way to get back into the swing of things. :nicework:

Right on, Soul Splint and Cyril. Working out IS a competition. But only against yourself. As long as you're improving (which virtually any workout makes happen as long as it doesn't injure you,) you're winning.

As for those people who post ridiculous crap on the internet, how pathetic must those people's lives be to do that?

Speaking of posting lifts on the interwebz, I had a great squat day on Wednesday! Man, I forgot how nice it was to squat with a weight belt on. My back was hurting a little that day (think I just slept on it wrong, honestly,) so I put one on for my last working set and ended up doing 8x205 ass to grass. It felt great. I felt like I could have done at least a couple more.

That's all well and good, especially since I got squished on my bench the day before. Lolz. My 5x195 became a 3x195 and man that last one was rough. My spotter claimed he barely helped, which is probably true, but it sucks I couldn't even get a fourth rep. Eh well. I honestly think bad nutrition/sleep had something to do with that one.

BTW, I ended up choosing push jerks for my explosive lift, based largely off of some of the horror stories I heard from a trainer at the gym about injuries she had seen from power cleans. I never really liked those guys anyway.

So, I was at the gym around 10pm last night, and I was doing dumbbell bench presses and nearly dropped a dumbbell on my face. I injured myself a while back and took a much longer then needed hiatus..

I was using 15s and couldn't do more then 5 reps. I have an imbalance on my left side due to epilepsy so I try to do isolate exercises whenever possible. My left arm just gave out though.

Imagine taking your left arm and leaning up against a wall palm facing the wall, right? Well I feel a weakness trembling through my forearm and not sure why I feel it in my forearm the most and through the rest of my arm. It doesn't hurt just felt fatigued, never had this happen before.

Thoughts?

BTW, I ended up choosing push jerks for my explosive lift, based largely off of some of the horror stories I heard from a trainer at the gym about injuries she had seen from power cleans. I never really liked those guys anyway.

Truth. With power cleans, either make sure your form is perfect, or go ahead and pick out what color body cast you want. Push jerks seem like a good alternative.

Thoughts?

I'd say with something like that going on, you're probably right to avoid compound exercises that can put you in potentially dangerous situations. Can't say I've ever experience a feeling you're describing, though (not counting normal fatigue due to lifting). Sounds like something a knowledgable physical therapist might be able to help with.

Guys, I just had a horrible thought. You need to give your muscles time to rebuild in order for them to rebuild between workouts right? I have never done this. How long should I wait between?

A resounding YES. Size and strength gains occur while the muscle repairs. For light-moderate lifting, I'd give myself a minimum of one day off for those muscles trained (i.e. train Monday, skip Tuesday, train Wednesday). For heavy lifting, a minimum of two days off. I stagger my sessions during the week so that I train different muscle groups, because I hate skipping days during the week. Then the weekend is for complete rest, no training.

The exception - imo - is cardio, depending on intensity. It's pretty safe to do cardio every day if you have the endurance, and you're not going 100% ham each time. For example, I have no problem doing 15-20 minutes on the stairmaster (~10-11 mets) each day, but I'm probably only at 75% of my max heart rate. Now, if I were doing intense HIIT/sprinting, I might want more spacing.

So who else got an email from fitocracy showing your year in review? Did you meet your expectations? What shocked you the most? I think lifting 2.6 million pounds was my most surprising stat. Especially since I didn't start doing real weights till like July.

http://www.fitocracy.com/yearly-performance/2014/ThinCrust

Edited by Thin Crust

Yup.

http://www.fitocracy.com/yearly-performance/2014/SoulSplint

3.6 million pounds lifted (9 blue whales, according to Fito), 6 badges, 11 quests, and exactly 100 personal records broken :-) Also submitted my goals for 2015, which are as follows:

I want to be able to perform low reps (1-3 reps) on these exercises for these weights:

Bench Press: 280 pounds

Squat: 320 pounds

Pullups: bodyweight + 90 pounds

Deadlift: 370 pounds

Overhead Press: 190 pounds

And I also want to weigh at least 210 pounds (currently 195) with a bodyfat of 15% or less by the end of the year. Aiming high on a couple of these goals, but I still think they are achievable.

Edited by Soul Splint