Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

Seconded. That much sugar will probably be spiking your metabolism all day and together with that few calories it may enter starvation/fat retention mode, which is clearly not what you want. What fruits are you eating? I might suggest changing some. Maybe berries rather than apples, bananas rather than oranges, and so on.

Also, I'm here in the fitness center at the hotel. Any bros wanna lift? :)

Well let's see.... out of the 5 nutrisystem items I am supposed to eat every day, (Breakfast, lunch, dinner, 2 desserts) the sugars were 9 for breakfast, 10 for lunch, 3 for dinner, 9+5 for dessert.

There was 14 in that banana, 10 in that yogurt, 7 in the V8, and none in the peanuts or eggs.

I'm not sure what to change. Oh, and the nutrisystem foods are pretty much regular food except for more fiber, protein, and smaller portion sizes. I wouldn't call it special other than that.

Well let's see.... out of the 5 nutrisystem items I am supposed to eat every day, (Breakfast, lunch, dinner, 2 desserts) the sugars were 9 for breakfast, 10 for lunch, 3 for dinner, 9+5 for dessert.

There was 14 in that banana, 10 in that yogurt, 7 in the V8, and none in the peanuts or eggs.

I'm not sure what to change. Oh, and the nutrisystem foods are pretty much regular food except for more fiber, protein, and smaller portion sizes. I wouldn't call it special other than that.

Well, from your above description that would be 36 grams in a day, which is much better than 67. It will be difficult to change anything within the system as I assume you'll often be eating things created by Nutrisystem, and to have full control over your diet requires being able to eat very specific foods to meet your needs (which is easiest when you are buying your own ingredients to make your own food).

Do you know what your typical macro breakdown is in a day?

Well, from your above description that would be 36 grams in a day, which is much better than 67. It will be difficult to change anything within the system as I assume you'll often be eating things created by Nutrisystem, and to have full control over your diet requires being able to eat very specific foods to meet your needs (which is easiest when you are buying your own ingredients to make your own food).

Do you know what your typical macro breakdown is in a day?

Wait.... you're saying the sugars in the banana, yogurt, and V8 don't count? Because if you take those out, then you get 36g sugar.

It did! Me, Deia, and OA hit the gym today (Sun) at noon. I guess we forgot to post publicly but we did try to spread the word a bit in person. The fitness room was decent relative to most hotels... cable machine, dumbbells up to 50 lbs, lots of cardio of course. We did some dumbbell OHP, db bench press, db rows, lateral raises, chin-ups. Since it was just the three of us we reaped ALL the gains.

I'm 5'9 164 and my TDEE average, factoring in workouts, is 2250... so to cut at a reasonable pace I NEED to eat like 1750 or even lower (my goal is 1650/day). I am green with envy if you have a TDEE of 2700.

6'3, 198 pounds (as of now, trying to make it over the 200 hump). So yeah, 2660 for maintenance. I typically go to about 2100-2200 when cutting. Don't be green, brah. You got the skwatz :)

Wait.... you're saying the sugars in the banana, yogurt, and V8 don't count? Because if you take those out, then you get 36g sugar.

Oh, I didn't realize both lines in your comment included that's day's sugar. Yeah, those sugars count, but the natural sources (banana and V8 ) are of course much better than refined sources. Just to clarify, the amount of sugar you took in that day wasn't necessarily bad, I was just concerned that there was that much in so few calories. You may want to look into including some more natural foods into your diet like lean meats, veggies, eggs, etc. (unless of course what you're eating is getting you results and some degree of satiety).

It did! Me, Deia, and OA hit the gym today (Sun) at noon. I guess we forgot to post publicly but we did try to spread the word a bit in person. The fitness room was decent relative to most hotels... cable machine, dumbbells up to 50 lbs, lots of cardio of course. We did some dumbbell OHP, db bench press, db rows, lateral raises, chin-ups. Since it was just the three of us we reaped ALL the gains.

Jelly. Super-jelly. I was there in bro-spirit, though.

Edited by Soul Splint

Since it's been a couple of weeks, I figured I'd stop in an give a trip report on Convict Conditioning so far:

Cons:

-First of all, I don't think you'll see as quick of returns as you would with traditional weight training. Reps don't tend to increase rapidly, and some of the exercises in the different progressions don't actually "progress" that well, ie. you go from doing two sets of 30 reps in one type of push up, to doing two sets of 5 in the next progression level. It's not the end of the world, but you kind of have to take it on faith that you will see improvement.

-Some of the exercises paradoxically require a certain level of balance and fitness prior to being able to do them at all. If you have much of a gut, a lot of the beginner exercises are sort of tough to do, just because all dem fat rolls will get in the way, so you can't track through the entire range of movement. Also, the program is split into different difficulty levels of six different exercises (the six are, basically speaking: Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, Leg Lifts, Bridges, Hand Stands, and Squats), but things like the Bridges and Hand Stand exercises require a decent amount of balance and core strength, even for their most basic forms.

Pros:

-I hate gyms, I hate weights. I have a super physical job, and when I did weight training, I never found that it translated much into greater strength for my job. I just got better at lifting weights. Admittedly, I probably went about it wrong, but with CC I'm actually seeing an improvement in how much I can do at work before feeling sore/tired/pain. Also, if you aren't one for gyms, or have a tough time making it to them regularly due to schedule, one of the main concepts of CC is being able to do it literally anywhere with as little as a chair and a 7x3 bit of floor.

-The progression element, once you start going, is a really great motivating factor in itself. Probably no more so than weight training, but it's a good feeling to move from the wall push up to the incline push up to the floor push up or whatever. You actually feel a significant change in what part of your musculature you're activating, rather than just an increase in reps and weight.

-It's impossible to do some of the exercises without engaging your entire body. For someone recovering from a chronic injury, like myself, this is absolutely essential. I was recommended this program by my phys. therapist for that reason, and it delivers. I mean, it's basically Super-Calisthenics, so it's not surprising, but it bears mention.

On a related note, I've lost 10lbs since New Years. Pretty excited about that.

Since it's been a couple of weeks, I figured I'd stop in an give a trip report on Convict Conditioning so far:

review

On a related note, I've lost 10lbs since New Years. Pretty excited about that.

Sounds like a great program for people wanting to achieve the kind of results you're looking for. Agreed on the progress being a bit slower than traditional weight training, but the pros sound like they far outweigh the cons for you.

Question for my squatters out there: the one part of my form that continues to struggle is my knees trying to cave inward (toward each other) when I approach my max weight (three reps or less). I am hyper-aware of it and have made noticeable improvement over the past 3-4 months, but it continues to be something I have to actively focus on in order to keep decent form. Did any of you struggle with this, or have any tips or tweaks? Turning my toes out toward a 45 degree angle helps a bit, but doesn't eradicate it entirely.

I wish I had some advice for that, but it hasn't been an issue for me ever. Maybe it's because of your height? One thing that MIGHT be worth doing... bodyweight squats with resistance bands around your knees. Basically, you'll have to actively push outwards at all times to maintain your form. I would not do this with weight because that seems really dangerous, BUT I had to do it in physical therapy and found it to be pretty challenging. I imagine it COULD help you?

Anyway, on a general note... I was immensely gratified at how people this MAGfest reacted to my weight loss and fitness improvement. Most of them probably aren't looking here, but if you're reading this and you said some kind words, thank you!! That is the reaction I was hoping and striving for.

... Too bad I probably gained like 2 pounds of fat over the weekend, negating all of January's progress :P But I'm back to cutting <1600 cals a day. I think I will end up stopping around 155-158, or whenever I get rid of this stupid pouch of ab fat.

... Too bad I probably gained like 2 pounds of fat over the weekend, negating all of January's progress :P B

you were 7k calories over TDEE this weekend? I have a feeling you might be exaggerating a bit... I gained a bit of water weight due to a different diet than usual, but that'll be flushed out in a few days of eating my normal stuff again.

I think the band idea is good, if you are already turning your knees out 45 degrees, which is what I do too. I focus on it a ton, it's not just you.

I wish I had some advice for that, but it hasn't been an issue for me ever. Maybe it's because of your height? One thing that MIGHT be worth doing... bodyweight squats with resistance bands around your knees. Basically, you'll have to actively push outwards at all times to maintain your form. I would not do this with weight because that seems really dangerous, BUT I had to do it in physical therapy and found it to be pretty challenging. I imagine it COULD help you?

This definitely sounds like it's worth a shot. Thanks :smile:

Brutal. Yeah, I was working panels at the time. :/ I got a good workout in there on Friday morning, though. Like you say, not a bad setup for a hotel, though I had actually hoped for more in a place as big as the frickin' Gaylord. I was supposed to do my squat and/or my push jerk max, but I just ended up doing an improvised leg/ab workout. Wasn't too bad, all things told. Next year, if not sooner. :)

I made a bunch, threw it in covered containers, and am awaiting the chicken to finish so I can throw some of the meals in the freezer for over the week.

I left the containers of rice on my counter, didn't think it would be that big of a deal. But apparently you can get sick from eating rice if poorly stored.

I just threw it in my fridge upon learning this. I'm now kind of worried that i'm going to get sick from it, since leaving it on the counter for an extended time.

Does anyone else make rice ahead of time and re-heat it, or am I just worrying too much?

I made a bunch, threw it in covered containers, and am awaiting the chicken to finish so I can throw some of the meals in the freezer for over the week.

I left the containers of rice on my counter, didn't think it would be that big of a deal. But apparently you can get sick from eating rice if poorly stored.

I just threw it in my fridge upon learning this. I'm now kind of worried that i'm going to get sick from it, since leaving it on the counter for an extended time.

Does anyone else make rice ahead of time and re-heat it, or am I just worrying too much?

To a point, you are worrying too much. You want food to cool as quickly as possible, as if it stays at room temperature for too long, it's possible it could support bacterial growth. Ideally, you want to get food to refrigerator temp within about four hours, which is pretty doable as long as you separate stuff out into smaller containers so there's more surface area. As long as you're not leaving it out for a long time before cooling it, it's probably okay.

Soups or liquids can be more tough to cool down, since in theory anything with a lot of water in it changes temperature more slowly. I've had it recommended to me that if you make soup, you should put the whole pot in an icebath and stir it regularly til it's around room temp, then throw it in the fridge. I think even in this case you could get away with separating it into smaller containers and throwing it in the fridge. Or freezer, for that matter.

Bought some sandwich supplies!

-pound of turkey lunch meat

-pound of chicken lunch meat

-two tomatoes

-big box of spinach leaves

-american cheese slices

Just with rough calculations, I figure I can shoot for a ~60-70g protein lunch if I put enough of the lunch meat into two sandwiches (1/5 pound of meat each), and it'll come out to about 450-500 calories per sandwich. Not bad for a moderately tasty (it's not amazing, but it's palatable) toasted lunch. Maybe I'll put some extra seasonings, sauces, or peppers. A bagel with cream cheese should put breakfast and lunch at maybe 1400 calories? My TDEE is 2100 I believe (haven't been checking my weight), but that still leaves some wiggle room at dinner time if I want to maintain (I could even do a food truck gyro). I'm also gonna do pasta.

I think I'm at a comfortable weight, trying to maintain but don't mind if it gets nudged up a little. My new goal is to get rid of my stomach and make my chest look broader/defined, and when I begin working out with those goals in mind, I'll start alternating cutting and bulking.

Anyway, on a general note... I was immensely gratified at how people this MAGfest reacted to my weight loss and fitness improvement. Most of them probably aren't looking here, but if you're reading this and you said some kind words, thank you!! That is the reaction I was hoping and striving for.

I had to do a double-take when you sat next to me at the remix panel. I was like "damn, he looks really good".

Edited by Neblix

Joined a gym to get myself back in the groove of working out again. Today was my first day and it didn't suck! Here's hoping I can keep the momentum going!

I think the worst time is the two first weeks. If you can survive that then half of the path is done I think. Just keep going and don't push yourself too much this month or maybe the two first months.

The diet and the focus on muscular groups comes later, but if you can start sooner, the better, specially the diet, depends on what you want to achieve. Good Luck! :wink:

I think the worst time is the two first weeks. If you can survive that then half of the path is done I think. Just keep going and don't push yourself too much this month or maybe the two first months.

The diet and the focus on muscular groups comes later, but if you can start sooner, the better, specially the diet, depends on what you want to achieve. Good Luck! :wink:

As soon as I build a bit of endurance back up, I'll start seeing my trainer again. I'm actually looking forward to that. I feel so much better about myself when I'm in the groove of things.

Joined a gym to get myself back in the groove of working out again. Today was my first day and it didn't suck! Here's hoping I can keep the momentum going!

Aw yeah. Won't be much longer til you're Down with the Sickness (of training like a freak).

Not bad for a moderately tasty (it's not amazing, but it's palatable) toasted lunch.

My TDEE is 2100 I believe (haven't been checking my weight), but that still leaves some wiggle room at dinner time if I want to maintain

I think I'm at a comfortable weight, trying to maintain but don't mind if it gets nudged up a little. My new goal is to get rid of my stomach and make my chest look broader/defined, and when I begin working out with those goals in mind, I'll start alternating cutting and bulking.

Heh, "palatable" is all I shoot for these days. The good news is, the longer you do this, the less you'll care about how something tastes. Food just becomes components to fit your goals.

You said you haven't been tracking your weight, but, out of curiosity, what are your general body proportions as far as height and weight go?

Yeah, it's brutal. Initially I was planning to go into the 150s but at this point I'm starting to burn out on cutting. My new plan is to lose a solid 3-4 pounds (hopefully bringing me to 160 even) by Feb 23, and then start a slow bulk. I've been eating an average of 1800-1900 a day, so I'm going to go up to maintenance (2200) for a week on Feb 23, and then in March start eating at 2400.

I figure 3 months of bulking should get me, in theory, about ~5 pounds of lean mass. +200 per day, 90 days = 18000 surplus / 3500 = 5.1 pounds. At that point, maybe a 2 month cut...

I definitely recommend adding lean mass to your frame, as it really helps cutting.

I am at about 10% BF at 5'9 175, and having that extra muscle makes it much easier to cut down when I want to. I have realized though that my arms are super lagging compared to some other stuff, so I am going to figure out how to work them out better.