Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

Yeah!!!! Transfer all that endurance for 5 miles into 1 mile!

and thanks!

Jeezum crow, Modus. Between that and the pics, you're a manster. Nice work, guy! :nicework:

I feel you, too, about life being messy, but gainz being something to take pride in. Slowly but surely, I'm approaching being strong.

To that point, I have changed up my routine quite a bit over the last few days, actually. So, last week I got a second job, which is neat, cuz I needz those money gainz, yo. Natch, though, that's going to cut into my lifting time. Soooo, I started doing two major lifts in one session on Saturday, and continued the trend yesterday. I kind of like it, to be honest. I'm doing less assistant lifts and ab work, but man, I feel good doing dead lift again, and it's pretty quick.

Also, circumstances arose that made it convenient for me to just go ahead and start up intermittent fasting (IF.) I'm on the LeanGains method (16 hour fast, 8 hour feed,) and thus far, I love it. I'm tracking my stuff on MyFitnessPal, as well, and have been doing two big meals mostly. This is only my fourth day on, so far, but I can see how this might be my new thing. I'm also reading a book on IF by Dr. John Berardi, which is pretty good.

Win. Switched to it nearly two years ago and haven't looked back.

No doubt. I gotta get more into the full method, with my meal and exercise placement, but for now, the 8 hour feeding window is nice. I've patterned my eating off of James Clear's plan of two big meals, which has been great. It's a ton more convenient and I just feel better.

I also figured you would appreciate I'm doing more back training now, too. :wink:

I'm really scared of IF since I seem to have such a constant appetite... what do you do to mitigate that? I'm always starving in the mornings. And is there really a strong benefit over traditional dieting? Martin's website always seemed so cult-ish.

Water mitigates it kinda, but mostly after you start fasting for at least 3-4 days, you start to not even really notice it. (Take it from a guy who fasted for Ramadan w/o water for the past 18 years).

I also figured you would appreciate I'm doing more back training now, too. :wink:

Aww yeah. Something something bringing sexy back. I dunno. But you'll start noticing differences in your other lifts, I guarantee it.

I'm really scared of IF since I seem to have such a constant appetite... what do you do to mitigate that? I'm always starving in the mornings. And is there really a strong benefit over traditional dieting? Martin's website always seemed so cult-ish.

I was worried about this too, and for the first week or two, you might have a bit of a struggle with it. But my body picked up on the schedule really quickly. Your body will "learn" when it's okay to eat, and you'll get to where you aren't really hungry except during feeding windows. (Disclaimer: if someone walks by you with a plate of your favorite food before/after your window, you're just SOL. But, I know you're a pretty disciplined guy, so you'll be fine).

As for the benefit over traditional dieting, IF has strengths in appetite control and in hormone optimization. But this is an area where I really recommend doing your own research, because it's certainly not for everyone, and I would hate to sell it as such.

Aww yeah. Something something bringing sexy back. I dunno. But you'll start noticing differences in your other lifts, I guarantee it.

I'm looking forward to that, though really, dead lift just feels right. I know I'm activating big muscle groups, and it's working on super functional movements. I mean, come on, who doesn't need to be good at picking stuff up here and there?

I was worried about this too, and for the first week or two, you might have a bit of a struggle with it. But my body picked up on the schedule really quickly. Your body will "learn" when it's okay to eat, and you'll get to where you aren't really hungry except during feeding windows. (Disclaimer: if someone walks by you with a plate of your favorite food before/after your window, you're just SOL. But, I know you're a pretty disciplined guy, so you'll be fine).

That seems to be the way it goes for pretty much everyone, anecdotally at least. For me, caffeine has helped, because I've always been a hardcore breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner guy. Now I'm just doing coffee, giant breakfast, pretty much fine until a big supper, fine for the rest of the day/night with maybe a green tea to help for the final stretch.

As for the benefit over traditional dieting, IF has strengths in appetite control and in hormone optimization. But this is an area where I really recommend doing your own research, because it's certainly not for everyone, and I would hate to sell it as such.

A lot of the research is pretty new/questionable at the moment, but again, anecdotally there's lots of evidence to the above. For me, it's mainly just convenient. Grazing seems pretty nice, but I really just have a hard time with compliance. My schedule is a mess on any given day, but I can make two big meals work. Add to that that it seems to be leading to both feeling better and working in a caloric deficit, and I figured it was worth a shot. I also was scared, because I can be a real ass when I'm hungry (not as bad as my brother, but still,) but thus far being mindful and supplementing with water and caffeine has been fine for the few times I've been hungry. I do look forward to when my body just "knows" when it's time to eat.

Do either of you work from home? That's the hard part. I have constant access to food. Also a ridiculous appetite :/ It's like the more I eat, the hungrier I get. When I was on vacation last week I would eat 1500 calories for breakfast - easily - then go up to my room and eat more, and be ready to eat lunch 2 hours later.

Do either of you work from home? That's the hard part. I have constant access to food. Also a ridiculous appetite :/ It's like the more I eat, the hungrier I get. When I was on vacation last week I would eat 1500 calories for breakfast - easily - then go up to my room and eat more, and be ready to eat lunch 2 hours later.

No, I don't work from home, but I can definitely be a voracious individual. I'm eating 2700 cals a day right now (within my 8-hour feeding window). I could easily do 4,000 or more, and if I were to expand my eating window or drop it altogether, 6,000-7,000 calories would be doable. But this is why I really enjoy intermittent fasting. Eating nearly 3k cals in eight hours keeps me pretty satiated, and my body (usually) just doesn't get very hungry outside of that eight-hour window.

No, I don't work from home, but I can definitely be a voracious individual. I'm eating 2700 cals a day right now (within my 8-hour feeding window). I could easily do 4,000 or more, and if I were to expand my eating window or drop it altogether, 6,000-7,000 calories would be doable. But this is why I really enjoy intermittent fasting. Eating nearly 3k cals in eight hours keeps me pretty satiated, and my body (usually) just doesn't get very hungry outside of that eight-hour window.

@zircon:

I don't work from home either, and while I don't have a humongous appetite, I can certainly eat, especially when the right foods are around. Top of the list for me are pizza and sweets. To that point, though I feel like IF is working really well on cutting my cravings. Did I mention that my second job that I just got is at a pizza place?

So, for the last two days, I've been working for several hours around pizza, pasta, wings, and yesterday some cupcakes, and feeling very little craving for them. I don't know, my calorie count is somewhat short, and I was moderately hungry by the time I left (my body is still getting used to the routine, after all,) but I really felt little desire to eat any of what I saw. I guess maybe some of it at least is the psychological fulfillment I get from feasting during my window. After two big meals, I don't feel any need to eat because I know I've already spent some time doing so.

I lost 6 lbs in a week and My Fitness Pal is freaking out. It bumped up my daily calorie intake to 2,750 calories in order to lose .5 lbs a week. It was at 2,100, and now it also says to aim for 210g of protein.

Should I just remove my last reported weight? Something isn't right. I have a crazy metabolism and i don't know what my calories should be to lose just a little fat.

My weight is 171.5 lbs at 5' 11" if that helps. Not sure if that's low when I'm trying to maintain muscle mass.

Edit: Nevermind it just switched my goal to gaining .5 lbs and I put it back. Why would it automatically do that...

Edited by Modus

I lost 6 lbs in a week and My Fitness Pal is freaking out. It bumped up my daily calorie intake to 2,750 calories in order to lose .5 lbs a week. It was at 2,100, and now it also says to aim for 210g of protein.

Should I just remove my last reported weight? Something isn't right. I have a crazy metabolism and i don't know what my calories should be to lose just a little fat.

My weight is 171.5 lbs at 5' 11" if that helps. Not sure if that's low when I'm trying to maintain muscle mass.

Edit: Nevermind it just switched my goal to gaining .5 lbs and I put it back. Why would it automatically do that...

This is one of several reasons why I only rely on MFP for tracking calories and macros, and not for goals and such.

Now that I'm putting on some mass, my lifts are starting to increase and I love it. I mostly bench w/ the smith (spotted) but for the first time in a few months I tried the flat bench and got 2 reps at 185. Not huge I suppose, but I weigh 175 lbs, and that is generally one of my worst lifts. Before, I was having trouble with 165.

On the other hand, my hack squat is insane, I just hit 5 plates today for 6 reps.

Now that I'm putting on some mass, my lifts are starting to increase and I love it. I mostly bench w/ the smith (spotted) but for the first time in a few months I tried the flat bench and got 2 reps at 185. Not huge I suppose, but I weigh 175 lbs, and that is generally one of my worst lifts. Before, I was having trouble with 165.

On the other hand, my hack squat is insane, I just hit 5 plates today for 6 reps.

Good job on raising that bench. I'm doing my cut now and thus far haven't seen too much hurt on my lifts, but I got squashed on my power jerk the other day hard and it didn't feel good. I bet going the other way is a lot more fun.

Nice hack squat! You're going down to parallel, right?

It's been so long since I've done a heavy day. Feels good!

Decline Bench (gym was too busy to do more than just decline): 1x10 with 65lbs and 2x10 with 75lbs (well, 9 for the second one, finished with 3 reps of 65)

Squats: 3x10 of 75lbs

Shoulder press: 3x10 of 40lbs

I have actually basically dropped my diet altogether (as far as macros) out of lazy/too hard to buy the right groceries, but I am passively making sure I maintain just calorie counts, so at least my weight isn't going places I don't like.

Also bagels and lox for breakfast. Yum!

Edited by Neblix

You WHAT?! I swear, this had better be on a machine, or I quit lifting here and now. Even if it is on a machine though, that's damn impressive.

Yes machine :-) I wish I could do normal squats but I'm still trying to heal this back injury... doing like 15-30 mins of stretching a day to help with that and tons of core stuff.

I'm actually in the miraculous position right now of NOT gaining weight even though I'm trying. So I get to eat EVEN MORE YESSSSS

New bench PR 205 lbs x1, unspotted. VERY happy with that since last week I tried it and failed. First I tried 195 lbs and got 2 reps with that so figured I'd go up. Honestly I might have been able to go higher. If I can hit a clean 225 bench by end of May I will be happy.

Do you get gains from 1 rep at the highest possible you can handle, or is that a testing your ceiling type of thing? Congrats on breaking 200 Zirc.

So.

I have to make more adjustments to get my abs and chest to reveal/ define better. I was cutting to the point where my face was starting to look thin and gaunt, 0% lean arms, yet my stomach fat resisted, especially at the hip, it's not even close.

Genetics? I don't know, but I read that dairy products may cause bloatiness and inhibit definition. So I'm cutting out dairy completely to see what happens. Big sacrifice for me, so I'm totally willing to be talked out of it 8-O

Do you get gains from 1 rep at the highest possible you can handle, or is that a testing your ceiling type of thing? Congrats on breaking 200 Zirc.

So.

I have to make more adjustments to get my abs and chest to reveal/ define better. I was cutting to the point where my face was starting to look thin and gaunt, 0% lean arms, yet my stomach fat resisted, especially at the hip, it's not even close.

Genetics? I don't know, but I read that dairy products may cause bloatiness and inhibit definition. So I'm cutting out dairy completely to see what happens. Big sacrifice for me, so I'm totally willing to be talked out of it :shock:

When working in the 1-5 rep range, most of your gains will be in strength. For muscle size, 8-12 is preferable. Both have a little bit of crossover though, so don't train exclusively in one area. For example, if size is your biggest goal, you should work primarily in the 8-12 range, but throw in some low rep workouts here and there.

And to answer your question about belly fat, genetics absolutely do make a difference, but generally speaking, most guys lose fat in their belly last. It's always the last place on me to firm up during a cut. Sucks donkey balls, but not much you can do about it.

OK so actually that lift was 215 not 205. Cool! :D

Here's what I'm doing for chest each week.

Monday
1. Smith machine bench. Below is the weight I'm loading on, not sure what the bar weighs. Also these are spotted.

• Warm up 45 lbs x 10
  • Warm up 90 lbs x 10, rest, 90 lbs x 8
  • 180 lbs x 8
  • 230 lbs x 4-5

2. Cable crossover, one light set x 15 reps, one heavy set x 15 reps (with ugly form on the last 5)

Friday

1. Seated incline chest press (on machine). Spotted.

• 90 lbs x 10
  • 90 lbs x 8
  • 180 lbs x 8
  • 280 lbs x 6-8 

2. Incline dumbbell flies, spotted.

• 60 lbs x 15
  • 100 lbs x 15

Saturday or Sunday

• Flat bench unspotted, 10x135, 8x135, and then attempt at 1RM.