userid: 31308

ReMixer name: Trainbeat

userid: (none)

SUBMISSION INFO

Name of the games arranged: Mega Man 9

Name of the arrangement: Mega Blocked

Name of the individual songs arranged: Concrete Man

Link to original: http://youtu.be/czs3xtuJxUQ

Comments: Hello again judges! I'm pretty sure I nailed the production this time. I cleared up a lot of stuff and this sounds much better to me. As for Larry's comments on the arrangement, I really had nothing to provide there :( I tried lots of different things but they all sounded... quite bad, in fact x_x So I guess I'm out of ideas for this one, and this is pretty much the farthest I can take the mix. Personally, I'm satisfied with this and if it's not OCR stuff then so be it. I just hope you enjoy! :)

Thanks again! Keep up the great work! :D

Gotta say, I enjoy this. The arrangement is pretty sweet. There is some nice expansion to the source, particularly in the second half, there is some sweet sequencing going down and those guitar solos are awesome.

Production is a mixed bag however. The majority of the sounds are chippy, but there is enough processing on the sounds for this to pass imo, even if many of the sounds are very similar in timbre. The guitar and piano as a result sounds a little misplaced when they finally enter. The mixing also feels slightly muddy, as many of the sounds bleed into each other. It doesn't help that the timbre of all the sounds are so similar. Some of the leads are too loud, and need turning down slightly. Lastly, it feels like things are too strongly panned, and as a result, this feels lopsided at points. I almost feel like you did this to try and clear up some of the muddiness before, which I wouldn't recommend if thats what you intended here. Best advice I can give you is Levels and EQ for that.

This is a nice track, but I think the production issues hold this one back from fulfilling its full potential. Keep at it bro, you got some good ideas present here!

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta agree with Will that the levels going up and down was pretty distracting, as was the panning. The rhythm guitar was anemic and not even that audible, while the lead guitar was a little dry. In all, the arrangement is way outshining the production. With the right production touch, this would be a pass, but as is, it's not there. I think it would be helpful to try to compare your song to a similar professional song and try to match the levels and EQ. That might be very helpful for you.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with the gentlemen above, the levels and panning were definitely off-putting. It's very rare that I'm bothered by panning issues on a track when listening on speakers, but even without headphones I found it distracting. This has kind of the same issue I commented on your Star Fox sub about with the dynamic range of the track being too great. I understand what you're doing by trying to make the intense sections louder than the others, but I think the effect is overdone here.

The bigger problem with this track, I think, is that it's thin overall. There's not a lot of big, beefy instruments keeping the track grounded, so it comes off as underwhelming. I think you could either fix this by EQing your sounds better and achieving a more full-bodied mastering, or by experimenting with adding other melodies/sounds to help pad the arrangement more. I think you could probably pull it off just by working some production magic, but adding in another instrument/synth, just for texture and body.

Just some food for thought. I have to agree that this one still isn't there yet.

NO (resub!)