OCR02882 - *YES* MiG-29 'Power Glove (It's So Bad)'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name: Dj CUTMAN ft. Benjamin Briggs

userid: 32956

Game name: MIG29 Soviet Fighter

Remix name: Powerglove (It's so bad)

Songs arranged: Opening Theme

Publisher: Codemasters, Camerica (NES)

The inspiration for this remix came from a long discussion with fellow VGM fans on Facebook. A friend commented that the opening riff from MIG 29: Soviet Fighter was awesome, and after hearing a clip online, I couldn't get it out of my head. I ripped the opening song from the NSF file and made a quick beat from it. I was satisfied for the time being, until Ben Briggs showed me a demo he was working on. It has a french electro-house feel and bassline that totally hooked me, and I asked if he wanted to collaborate on MIG29. After a weekend of sending stems back and forth and tireless tweaks to the mix, we ended up with this track; A rowdy, noisy, gritty electro-house track worthy of shooting down enemy fighters. In attempt to troll, I pulled a sample from the film The Wizard in to the track, and just like that, Powerglove (It's So Bad) was born.

I've also offered up the stems for remixing:

http://gamechops.com/powerglove-remix-stems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0f7kGm_4SM

Edited by djpretzel

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure this will be straight YESes, but I dug this and think the sampling of the original was fine because of how tweaked it was. There was a lot of crushing and re-triggering going on and it gave this a pretty different feel. Certainly this mix stands apart from the original while being recognizable. The Wizard sampling is pretty cheesy (gotta love an ad masquerading as a movie) but seems to fit and is used sparingly. Cool stuff, bros.

YES

Oh yeah, lovin the intro already. The Wizard sample kills me - it's kinda non-sequitur to the mix, but at least it's vg related :).

Yeah, I could see some potential issues with the sampling here, but I can sign off with Palp that it felt creative and divergent enough from the original as to not be a simple direct sample. I could imagine some differing opinions, so I'd like to see how the rest of the judging goes.

Cool use of synths here. Solid beatwork. Filtered sawtooth synth was super catchy. I'm not a big fan of extended beat endings, but I guess it's a necessity if you're going for the dj friendly mix.

Great stuff guys. Pretty cool gesture to release the stems as well.

Yes

heh, I was waiting for a few votes to drop on this and see what people thought of the sampling. I have to agree that it was pretty tasteful. I think overall the track is a bit repetitive (even Ben's bassline - I get the feeling that he made his entire contribution to this track in a half hour ((not that that's a bad thing))), and personally I think the mastering is kinda abrasive, it's one of those few tracks that I feel the need to turn my volume down.

overall though, I'm down with this, and glad to see you submitting more to OCR. :) huge props on the remix album as well, there were some killer tracks on there (some probably also applicable to OCR) that really expanded on this in some unique, and in some cases pretty intensive ways. ;)

YES

Very cool that i get to close out a YES! Love the energy to this one, and I'll agree with all the bros about the sampling being overall tastefully done. I'd say that my one gripe is that the 'shoot' sound effect doesn't feel like it's exactly in time for me, and it pulls me out of the track slightly each time I hear it. Overall it's pretty minor, and certainly doesn't effect my decision.

YES

• 5 months later...

The extensive level of direct audio sampling definitely rubs me the wrong way, as that's basically the only method of source usage in the entire song.

2. Your arrangement must be substantial and original.

* Submissions must be different enough from the source material to clearly illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. Acceptable arrangement often involves more than one of the following techniques:

* * Modifying the genre, chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms, dynamics, tempo, or overall composition of the source material

* * Adding original solos, transitions, harmonies, counter-melodies, lyrics, or vocals to the source material

* Taking the original game audio and simply adding drum loops or using an existing MIDI file and assigning new instruments does not qualify as substantial or original arrangement.

There isn't anything in the standards that explicitly says you can't go a more sampling-heavy route that includes substantial other original contributions, modifications, and/or other enhancements. The standards really just say you can't do overly simplistic and minimal contributions, i.e. MIDI rips and basic drum additions. Most people who directly sample original audio just lean too heavy on using it with little-to-no creative original contributions alongside it. And most people that use a source tune integrated with other elements don't do much work on them, which is why so many old Bubble Bobble OC ReMixes now belong to OC Removed.

Well, I guess we have something here that works on sampling-heavy level. There's lots of original writing used on top starting at :14 that adds a new dimension and integrates well with the original audio sampling. The retriggering of the source beat (starting right at :00) was structurally conservative but that and the production techniques used do alter the character of the rhythms and sound; pretty interesting stuff there. The source lead retriggering (first used at 1:01, basically original/super liberal writing using that sound) was interesting as well. It's an interesting approach mostly building original writing on top of an ever-present, evolving source beat, but the sum of it ends up working. Difficult formula to pull off. It's so bad. ;-P

SURE