OCR00553 - Final Fantasy "Crystal Rave"

orkybash

Final Fantasy 'Crystal Rave'

Dear Jesus... don't we have ENOUGH Preludes? Granted, this version is better than some I've heard. What we've got is a very high energy rave version of the prelude, which makes me want to turn of the lights, load up my WinAmp strobe light viz, and dance my ass off. I have three complaints about this: first off, there's a really annoying bass sound that's way too loud and doesn't even sound like it's playing the right notes. Second, it fades out, which does not work in a techno song IMHO - at least use the tried and true method of breaking it down to just drums than ending it. And lastly, it's a prelude remix, meaning go for it only if you care about originality, cause it's a song you're guaranteed to have heard at least 25938743495870968713 remixes of already.

• 4 weeks later...

very good point, there are A LOT of these songs out there, but also good point, the upbeat/dance beat is something I could listen to on the way to a club. I like it, it's a good mix, I enjoyed it...away from the traditional remix of this that has been done so many times, and put a funky beat on it. :)

I think this is better than most of the Prelude remixes I've heard. It starts off the same way the real thing starts, only about twice as fast, which I like -- you don't have to wait a minute and a half for the main tune to come in. The beat doesn't drown out the tune like so many of the other Prelude remixes I've heard, either. All in all, an excellent track that's going to stay in my play-list.

I really liked this song, as I've always liked the Final Fantasy theme, and it's fast enough to not be boring, as another reviewer said. My main problem is the intense repetivity of the over-synth, which can get rather annoying at times, and might have been enhanced by some harmonic changes. Other than that major flaw, I like it, the ending's fine with me, and all in all, it's a great solid-sounding song.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

From the time I was in fourth grade until I was in 8th grade, I experience every imaginable horror that adolescence had hurl upon a hapless human being. By the time I was 14, I was recognizably not a boy anymore, but something else, something older and stronger and yet more vulnerable.

The rift in-between was one of constant upheaval and iconoclasm, so that the traditions of the past were tossed out completely in favor of the uncoming rush of Lust, Ambition, and Intelligence that made me who I was. Whoever that little boy of 9 and 10 was, or had been, he was dead by the close of the millennium.

The change that was yielded was one that was nearly traumatic, and one which left deep scars on my psyche. For many years, there was no closure to my sudden maturation, even less closure for that period had me become in the process. This song filled the gap.

It's subject is one of the most sublimely beautiful videogame tracks ever made, "The Prelude" from Final Fantasy IV. The famous spiraling arpeggio that millions of gamers the world over hold with love and gratitude is set to a trance beat, and would indeed be appropriate at a rave. In the background is the soaring orchestral section found in FF IV's version of "The Prelude," a magnificient off-setting to the rhythmic trance beat.

The song, I recognize now, can be a fitting anthem for the time period between 1996 and 2000, the painful years of growing up and becoming something much different than what I had started out as -- for though the song is deleriously happy, as all Rave music is, there is a palpable melancholy to it, replicating in synthesizers and mixers the feeling of looking at a picture of a dead relative -- infinite loss the years heal over, memories of whole worlds and empires gone and vanished with Time. Over all of it is the famous, soaring Arpeggio, the enchanting promise of far-off worlds and amazing adventures -- of the bubbling excitement of simply being a child, entranced, as it were, with the entire world.

Nothing in the world could come close to being as beautiful.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

VERY good rave-mix, until I got to 1:24, that synth just killed the whole thing, but I managed to listen to the music behind the synth, and that was real good. Although this is a FF1 remix, that prelude sounds suspiciously much like the prelude from FF7. Hmmm? :roll:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Starts out decent if vanilla, but then an overly loud synth comes in front and center and seems to go without much regard for what is going on around it. Sometimes it matches up, and it's a good, solid progression on it's own, but oftentimes it creates voicings that aren't really very good. It sounds tacked on top. :-(

Production is decent, arrangement is almost a rip with the exception of the added "do-whatever-I-want" synth, and that addition actually degrades the mix.

Pass. :-(

• 5 months later...

The synth that comes in at 1:24 is way too loud, like others have said. It meshes for the most part, but gets a little off here and there, which just grates on me after a while. The beginning is decent, when the bass first comes in I was enjoying the piece.

For a piece as remixes as this one is, this is a different take on things, though it sounds very similar to the FFX version of the prelude, if compared side-by-side.

There isn't really much interpretation to the themes, much more could have been done to add variety to the mix.

It's a mix that shows its age, unfortunately.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00553 - Final Fantasy "Crystal Rave"
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...