Awful Games In Awesome Series *SPOILERS AHOY!*

Jax Mandrake

A lot of people put down games because they are too hard for them to beat or because they are not what they expected.

Excellent point, megadave. I will never claim to be a game master. Every so often I get lucky or good at something in particular (check the occasional bragging rights thread for evidence) but I simply don't have the patience to get through really hard games like, say, Super Meat Boy.

Really? 107%? No fDERPing way.

Also, Final Fantasy is in the same boat as Zelda. Every game in the franchise has players who love every pixel and players who can't find one thing about it to like. I like some versions of FF1, FF6, and Mystic Quest, but even though I have plenty of the others I can't garner enough interest within myself to play through them.

Flame shield ONLINE!

BTW, I'm glad nobody's jumped in to hate on Metroid: Other M. I'll defend that one against all its supposed flaws until the end of time.

Lol I loved all the games people usually hate: Super Mario Sunshine, Final Fantasy 8, etc.

Admiteddly, FF8 is probably my least fave of the FF I played, but I still thought it was super cool.

One game from an awesome series I dislike is Nuts and Bolts. Mainly for 2 reasons: it isn't a platformer and it's on Xbox 360 (which I don't own) so I've never played it! The game may be fun (I've no idea) but it makes me sad that it doesn't follow the style of the other games from the BK series.

I guess SMS is very polarizing, kind of like Wind Waker. I think the problem with SMS was that Nintendo had to reinvent Mario 64 in an era where "the platformer" felt very dated. It didn't have the spark of Galaxy, where the whole idea of a platformer was twisted around by the mechanics of outer space.

Wind Waker was good for the first part, and the last part. But the middle part, yeah it was horrible.

Wind Waker was good for the first part, and the last part. But the middle part, yeah it was horrible.

My freak brain loves that whole game so much :[

People here need to play truly awful games to get some kind of perspective on things. Wind Waker? Mario Sunshine? Arguably weaker than others in their series but far, FAR from horrible.

Should instead be mentioning Wand of Gamelon or Hotel Mario.

Oook, but those aren't truly part of the series. Plus they're just really depressing to talk about.

FF13 (no comment)

Metroid the Other M: C'mon ppl - Samus Aran is supposed to be a bounty hunter, not a whimpy teenager with daddy issues. In order to survive in the business you'd need a steel spine and so forth. Tacky Wii-mote gimmick shit and the Ninja Gaiden-esque combat also put me off - but I did grit my teeth and beat the game at 99%. Shoulda been handed over to more capable hands than Team Ninja, fuckin cop-out hacks that they are.

Dragon Age 2 -(horrendously recycled environments was the biggest issue amongst the pile of shit). DLC content did help a bit, but it was like putting sugar coating atop a pile of shit - if you take a big bite down on it, it's still gonna taste like shit.

Wild Arms 2 -(wayy too easy, generic anime style didn't jive with me and I much preferred the story of Wild Arms 1)

Almost all Mortal Kombat games after MK3 (except for the PS3 version, that one is pretty sick)

Chrono Cross - the connections of Chrono Cross to Chrono Trigger were soooo vague that I felt cheated. I wanted MOAR Chrono Trigger influences. Also the combat system was very different. Still, it's okay and the music/story/gameplay is still good - it's just not a worthy sequel to Chrono Trigger. :banghead:

Diablo 3 - Yikes. Jay Wilson is a narcissistic hack who's not qualified for the job; his vision of Diablo is so divergent from the fans that it's clearly of another universe. Also, Diablo =/= fucking World of Warcraft. And auction houses do not belong in an ARPG. Period.

You forgot the part where Jay Wilson, talking about the original creator of Diablo, said "fuck that loser"

It was a masterful moment in the history of Diablo.

--- ---

Also, objectively speaking, Metroid Prime Hunters is the worst game to ever bear the Metroid name. Nintendo Software Tech has never ever made a single good game and as bad as Other M was (it was bad) Hunters was fucking awful.

Ninja. Gaiden. 3. Seriously, fuck that game.

While I didn't think the previous games were that great, there is just no excuse for the absolute shit that is Ninja Gaiden 3. Where as the past two games were really just discs packed with needless, absurd difficulty causing more frustration than any game is worth, this new one was so laughably easy, repetitive and boring that I took it back to the store I rented it from the day after I rented it.

I feel bad for everyone involved in that game's creation.

Chrono Cross - the connections of Chrono Cross to Chrono Trigger were soooo vague that I felt cheated. I wanted MOAR Chrono Trigger influences. Also the combat system was very different. Still, it's okay and the music/story/gameplay is still good - it's just not a worthy sequel to Chrono Trigger. :banghead:

Oh god. One of the most poorly implemented plot-lines ever.

It did have some damn good things going for it though, like the amazing music and graphics.

Also the battle system was a nice change (although, like Trigger's, it did get pretty boring after a while).

Ninja. Gaiden. 3. Seriously, fuck that game.

While I didn't think the previous games were that great, there is just no excuse for the absolute shit that is Ninja Gaiden 3. Where as the past two games were really just discs packed with needless, absurd difficulty causing more frustration than any game is worth, this new one was so laughably easy, repetitive and boring that I took it back to the store I rented it from the day after I rented it.

I feel bad for everyone involved in that game's creation.

They're doing a complete overhaul of that for Wii U, taking into consideration things exactly like this. Even they know they fucked up with that game XD

Oh god. One of the most poorly implemented plot-lines ever.

It did have some damn good things going for it though, like the amazing music and graphics.

Also the battle system was a nice change (although, like Trigger's, it did get pretty boring after a while).

Well, Chrono Trigger had the blessing of being short and sweet, whereas the last few chapters for Chrono Cross, I just wanted to get over with, esp. when they introduced the "Project Kid" segment, which to me, felt like a list-minute filler for the plot. Buut, I've seen worse JRPG's by far, so it's barely on the hate-this-game radar for me, just it stands out a lot for me, cuz it's allegedly part of the Chrono Trigger universe :tomatoface:

also @ Emperor Charlemagne, I forgot to mention that part haha, thx for reminding me. The entire team's reputation has been marred beyond repair :razz:

500px-Metal_Overlord.png

They ruined Metal Sonic and turned him into an airplane-throwing Leviathan with wings. They ruined The Chaotix by giving them a pointless appearance, separating them from Knuckles, and giving Vector a non-street, unsmooth personality. To understand better, play Knuckles Chaotix and read the Sonic/Knuckles comic series. The Chaotix were gangsters, run by Knuckles and his girlfriend, Julie-Su.

In general, with Sonic Heroes, they ruined everything.

This game wasn't considered bad based on any of its difficulties; it was the format, execution, and graphics. The only thing cool about this game was some of the stages and the battle versus Egg Emperor.

Metroid Prime Hunters. The controls were beyond managing, the plot involving the Alimbics was full of holes, and 8 of the bosses were just 4 different versions of 2 machines. Even Stemage of Metroid Metal fame has sworn they'd rather sever their hands than make Metroid Metal Hunters tracks.

500px-Metal_Overlord.png

They ruined Metal Sonic and turned him into an airplane-throwing Leviathan with wings. They ruined The Chaotix by giving them a pointless appearance, separating them from Knuckles, and giving Vector a non-street, unsmooth personality. To understand better, play Knuckles Chaotix and read the Sonic/Knuckles comic series. The Chaotix were gangsters, run by Knuckles and his girlfriend, Julie-Su.

In general, with Sonic Heroes, they ruined everything.

This game wasn't considered bad based on any of its difficulties; it was the format, execution, and graphics. The only thing cool about this game was some of the stages and the battle versus Egg Emperor.

unless i'm mistaken, isn't the metal sonic in Heroes different from the one in Sonic 3? I thought he was yet another attempt at a robot Sonic, and therefore a new character.

unless i'm mistaken, isn't the metal sonic in Heroes different from the one in Sonic 3? I thought he was yet another attempt at a robot Sonic, and therefore a new character.

Metal Sonic is the series' second-most recurring villain, actually. He's the same one that was in Sonic CD, Knuckles' Chaotix, and tons of other spinoffs. Mecha Sonic is the one that showed up in Sonic & Knuckles, and Silver Sonic is the one that appeared in Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure.

500px-Metal_Overlord.png

Don't ever expect the Sonic games to line up with what you see in the comics. As far as both Archie and SEGA are concerned, the Sonic comics are a completely different universe from the Sonic games.

Metroid Prime Hunters. The controls were beyond managing, the plot involving the Alimbics was full of holes, and 8 of the bosses were just 4 different versions of 2 machines. Even Stemage of Metroid Metal fame has sworn they'd rather sever their hands than make Metroid Metal Hunters tracks.

I actually thought the controls in Hunters worked fairly well, but they were coupled with a game that was mediocre at best.

Well, Chrono Trigger had the blessing of being short and sweet,

Lol, what?

whereas the last few chapters for Chrono Cross, I just wanted to get over with, esp. when they introduced the "Project Kid" segment, which to me, felt like a list-minute filler for the plot. Buut, I've seen worse JRPG's by far, so it's barely on the hate-this-game radar for me, just it stands out a lot for me, cuz it's allegedly part of the Chrono Trigger universe :tomatoface:

Yeah...I think if they had fleshed out the story and actually tried to tie it into the game instead of revealing everything at the end it would have been great, but instead, most of the game ended up feeling like filler.

I also had issues with the plot itself, but it was forgettable enough that I don't remember what they were now...

I actually like that it was somewhat removed from Trigger though. Made it feel much more original.

Don't ever expect the Sonic games to line up with what you see in the comics. As far as both Archie and SEGA are concerned, the Sonic comics are a completely different universe from the Sonic games.

^this. The comics of Sonic have NOTHING to do with the games (thus why a lot of really cool characters have never appeared in the games, like Julie-Su or Sally Acorn, or all the amazing echidnas from the non-canon comics... like Lien-Da...

...perhaps i should actually read the comics before going all nerdtastic about it *facepalm

I WILL END YOUUUUUUU

20+ hour raid. A system i couldnt believe in. a grind fest beyond measure. And 14 was basically an upgraded graphical engine change bringing the worst parts of 14. I do not believe they should have EVER made an MMO myself.

You wanna end me? You're gonna have to break through a few hundred thousand ships to do it! ;P

You wanna end me? You're gonna have to break through a few hundred thousand ships to do it! ;P

MOONSTONE CANNON FIRE!!

There goes one! While I'm reloading..

FFXI is probably the only game I've ever felt fully immersed in. It was the godfather of all grindfests, yeah but.. different strokes I suppose. It just felt meaningful regardless of the grinding. Plus, you know, mithras.