FF8 Infinita Labyrinthum ("find your way" remix)

Gilderoy

You've captured the mystery and wandering feeling of the source, but also infused it with a greater sense of urgency (via a tempo increase). It's a nice, subtle shift in tone.

The biggest issue for me is, this feels more like a cover (especially for the first minute or-so). And that's totally cool if that's what you're going for, but if your aim is to work towards OCR's creative requirements, then this is an area to focus on. I'd recommend you try changing up the instrumentation, mess with the song's structure, etc. You do chop up and move the melody around later in the song, which adds some originality, but I think that the beginning goes on a little long without substantial differences from the source.

You may also consider taking some time to beef up your sample library too. I'd start with the free stuff, because you can get a lot of mileage out of that. There are various threads covering samples and where to get them... I think in the Help and Newbies forum? A forum search should pull up the thread.

There's some work to do, but you're on your way. Thank you for sharing, and keep it up! =)

You've captured the mystery and wandering feeling of the source, but also infused it with a greater sense of urgency (via a tempo increase). It's a nice, subtle shift in tone.

The biggest issue for me is, this feels more like a cover (especially for the first minute or-so). And that's totally cool if that's what you're going for, but if your aim is to work towards OCR's creative requirements, then this is an area to focus on. I'd recommend you try changing up the instrumentation, mess with the song's structure, etc. You do chop up and move the melody around later in the song, which adds some originality, but I think that the beginning goes on a little long without substantial differences from the source.

Many thanks for the comment crypto_magnum. :]

The thing is that this remix was done after my cousin encouraged me to do (after shifting my home and by chance saw FFVIII CD case). So, he likes it as for now (as I was also trying to stick to OCR's rules).

I admit that I've accomplished about 60~70% of my intended goal.

Due to me being busy with my career, I may and may not have the time to remaster it. :[

I certainly agree with what you've said.

And thanks again for the caring advice :]

I agree that the samples need a bump, that's what's keeping it from sounding really professional to me.

Also I'm not digging the added discordance and it sounds like there's some wrong notes in the transcription that are sound like they're out of key.

As far as arrangement goes, changing the patch you use on the lead instrument isn't enough to create a decent enough contrast to make it interesting, the music needs to change more, it's staying too close to the original without a sound quality boost to make it worthwhile....

Thank you michael-collins. :]

I need to benefit the most out of your comment. Please bear with me. ^_^

Also I'm not digging the added discordance and it sounds like there's some wrong notes in the transcription that are sound like they're out of key.

Can you please elaborate more on this (not forgetting to pinpoint the time when (at least the most notable ones) such things occur)?

If you mean the wrong notes are not exactly similar to the original, then I think that's what the rules here are insisting on telling not to copy but try to differ within the given song structure. Also, when not using anything as a base in your project (e.g midi, as I've constructed this mix by listening to the original), you're not (and probably won't) 100% being exact regarding the notes.

Please, correct me if I'm understanding wrong.

As far as arrangement goes, changing the patch you use on the lead instrument isn't enough to create a decent enough contrast to make it interesting, the music needs to change more, it's staying too close to the original without a sound quality boost to make it worthwhile....

Again here, I need to know the most noticable areas (with more elaboration if you don't mind).

At the end, can you please highlight things that should not be changed or severely altered in the remix?

Thanks again michael! :]

Using wrong notes to make your arrangement feel different to the original is definitely not what OCR tries to encourage.

Collins is right, there are some off-key moments in this arrangement. At first I listen, I caught these:

- 0:00 : It's pretty clear. Everything clashes with the piano. I believe the first sample is off-key, and the strings sound a bit odd too.

- 0:11 : A quiet instrument (sounds a bit piano-ish) plays something off key.

- 0:28 : Strings again (actually, they sound odd most of the time). Maybe the sample is slightly detuned.

- The timpani like percussion usually sounds a bit detuned too.

- 1:21 : This should be clear too, the guitar and other thing are playing very dissonant tunes.

- 1:42 : Lead thing is off-key.

The same issues are repeated a few times after 1:42. I think you should check some midi files and compare them with your transcriptions.

Besides that, the arrangement is a bit conservative, main innovation being the sample switching and a slightly faster tempo.

If you want to make a cover this is fine, but if you want to make a more distinct remix, try experimenting! I don't know if you play instruments, but if you do, play the sections yourself and try to improvise. Change notes, change tempos, change chord structures and you can maybe create something!