OCR01430 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "A Link to the Piano"

djpretzel

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Overall, this is an -OK- arrangement. You basically throw in a lot of tunes from the game, with, I suppose, a bit of your own creative flare.

What I like is that you definitely keep true to the chords in the original pieces. It takes a great ear for that, and I'm not sure even I could get those down, unless you're like me and you paused the game over and over... or just got a hold of the original SM files... GREAT work in hitting those chords.

What's kind of a let down in this arrangement is that you only choose low, quiet works; nothing too exciting. It doesn't really take advantage of your playing ability, unless... you chose those tunes on purpose to keep to your ability... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Also, I don't like the dynamic articulation in this recording. I felt there was too much emphasis where there shouldn't have been. Too much hamming up... Where you should have been lower, piano, and slow, you were speeding it up a little too much, and playing a little too loud.

Don't get me wrong. This sounds like it could be a great arrangement, but I think it needs a little more work. Don't ham it up. Slow down and try to play pianissimo. The tracks you chose are soft, low, and delicate, and they're easily ruined when you try to show off. Playing them faster/louder doesn't make them sound better.

• 3 months later...

Did Zelda ever listen to this? Anyway, the first time I heard it, it was calm and serene. Now when I hear it, I just appreciate this song more because it's use of the wonderful instrument, the piano. Zoola, thank you for bringing such a beautiful song into my life. Also, when my dad heard it, he asked me "What song is this?" I told him what it was called, what genre it was in (OC ReMix), and who it was by. When he found out it was video game music, he still liked it! Also, this song didn't make me cry but it did create a dramatic video in my head about Link and Zelda's relationship. Thank-you so much Zoola! (EXCELLENT use with the piano.)

• 1 year later...

Love the piano arrangement but some of the connecting dynamics may need some work. Let's see, I really liked your soft sections but getting there from the louder sections was a little harsh. However, I really enjoyed this music in it entirety. Good ending!

• 10 months later...

Distinctly moody, and taking it's own time, this mix carefully explores rather than aggressively attacks. It's pretty heavy on the chords, but it gives a distinct feeling of emotional weight to the mix. Combined with the large dynamic spectrum, this ends up being pretty good, despite the lack of musical acrobatics or even much subdivision.

Total rainy day music, or writing your tortured poetry or something. ._\\\

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not bad, but I can't really give it an A+. Would an A- suffice? Just kidding, I love it, which is odd because piano only songs don't normally catch my attention like this one did. My only complaint is that the volume goes up and down a bit too much. A little more consistantcy would have polished off this great ReMix. Not bad for a first mix.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01430 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "A Link to the Piano"