OCR01430 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "A Link to the Piano"

djpretzel

WOOOH, I´m out first. Okay, okay, get serious. A new pianoremix from Zelda 3, excellent, listened two times too it, very beautiful.

But to describe it, hmmm. Well for a start, it goes out gently, no rushing here. It takes a while to recognize what kind of theme this really is, but around 0:30 it starts to pick up the melody, and then melody slowly begins. It gets faster after a while, still very skilled played. Then the melody changes, and here comes the dungeon, played with care, almost silent, then it gets louder, and then releases a litle more power to the melody and then comes to the dark point, Ganon himself, dum dum duuumm or something like it.

Then it almost starts from scratch, soft play that´s somehow makes me depressed, tries to pick up some more pace, succeeds, but then goes down again. ¨

Very beautiful pianoplay overall, Zoola didn´t just stick to the notes on the paper, but instead made some freestyle and played more freely, tried different speeds and varied the volume a bit. It had an overall sad mood to it, at some points he just let his fingers walk over the keys. Skilled, very much indeed, and welcome to OCR dude.

What's with the volume? I had to turn up the speakers to max volume in order to hear this in entirety or I would've missed a couple of spots.

That aside, I did enjoy this remix in spite of the fact that it is a medley. I get really nostalgic when I hear the introduction to LOZ:LTTP.

On a different level, however, I think this remix is lacking in inspiration. I was hoping for a bit more of the introduction and perhaps some expansion on that introduction piece, not a cheap medley.

Each part of the medly sounds good, but there isn't any expansion in any of the particular parts of it. Each piece seems to be note for note the original in piano form, which isn't a bad thing, but it's hardly an improvement on the original.

The last part of the medly did bother me, and I think this is the biggest complaint I have about the volume issue. I think it was kakariko melody, but I couldn't really make certain because it was barely audible. That's a serious flaw, and I think it should be rectified. I'm not sure what the policy on re-recording music is, but if the Pretzel allows it, you should definately try to increase the volume of this piece.

4/10

John Torkington?

Does someone in your family happen to own a VW Beetle with the license plate "DIVEBUG"?

Woah. Yeah, we have a red truck with it on it now. It use to be on the beetle but we sold it. I do notice you also live in mesa... PM me, why don't you?

...Anyways, glad some of you enjoy the piece. A actually am well aware of the volume thing; I was mixing it with my headphones real loud and didn't realize it until I submitted it. I actually wasn't expecting this to get in, at least not this super quiet version. If there is any way to re-submit, I would be glad, but it's not really a big deal. At any rate, I can't help but feel somewhat proud for joining the so called "big leagues".

¡Viva OCR!

I CRIED FOR THIS MIX.

I'm surprised this didn't come earlier. Way to take the bait.

Nice little mix we have here, by the way. Although I did notice the low volume right away, I also noticed the underlying talent behind the progression and flow of the mix. Keep up the good work...we can't get enough piano mixes, right?

It's very nicely done, but the range of volumes is far to large, I had to consistantly adjust the volume on my speakers to not blast my ears out, or to hear it, depending on the time of the song.

It's actually beautiful, the only flaw is the volume.

Personally, I'm a great fan of the chords around 0:50, they just sound so smooth on the piano, but the piano does sound a bit too loud on the attacks in some part.

Other than this, great piece.

Very nice, but what's with the volume? It's mostly too quiet and then there are some over the top loud sections... there was a FF mix with the same problem, also a great mix... I think it's called Sweeter than Honey.

Anyways, I've got to wonder if there's a way to fix the volume here, because it is a beautiful mix, and I want to be able to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, will. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anyways, I have the revised version done with the heightened volumes, where / how do I submit?

You should submit it as you did before I would assume (looking at the submission guidelines), just make sure to state it as a revision.

The thing is, OCR doesn't really accept revisions once songs have been posted. The submission guidelines say "one second audio glitch", but the volume boost affecting the entire song is a much bigger change. I don't think the resubmission will go through on this one.

The best thing you can pretty much do in this situation is send the revised version to people who really want it, or just host it somewhere and put the link somewhere in the topic.

The thing is, OCR doesn't really accept revisions once songs have been posted. The submission guidelines say "one second audio glitch", but the volume boost affecting the entire song is a much bigger change. I don't think the resubmission will go through on this one.

The best thing you can pretty much do in this situation is send the revised version to people who really want it, or just host it somewhere and put the link somewhere in the topic.

Currently in the judging process]Minor fixes that do not alter the arrangement itself (e.g. eliminating clipping, new encoding, fading out a track with an abrupt cutoff) are acceptable.

John didn't change the arrangement or sounds here, he just raised the volume where needed. Since he let us know about that very soon after the mix was posted, we replaced the OCR version. The Supertux version will be replaced as soon as possible as well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01430 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "A Link to the Piano"