Deus Ex UNATCO Badliz Remix

Badliz

Right off the top, good improvements in the second version, fleshing out the soundscape a bit with the extra ping-ponging delay.

The string sound, I'm not totally sold on, when it hits that prominent, high riff (Ab-Db-C-Bb). The strings sound a bit more real when they're tucked away behind everything else, but out front, exposed, they feel a little stiff. I have this same problem in all of my WIPs, and I've yet to master the art of producing a convincing orchestral sound. I'd start by playing around with different articulations if you have them available to you.

Also, since this is still a work-in-progress, maybe this doesn't need saying, but I'd recommend writing a way out of the song with something other than a fade-out. One of the first (and best) bits of advice I ever got on OCR was that "a fade-out is a cop-out." Unless you're doing something really ambient where you gradually bring in and subsequently fade out multiple textural layers (see Disco Dan's "Riptide," from Donkey Kong Country), it's often best to end your song with confidence, or... a punctuation mark.

Solid work so far, in my opinion. Lots of things are working well in this song.

Right off the top, good improvements in the second version, fleshing out the soundscape a bit with the extra ping-ponging delay.

- Thanks, few minor things changed & added and I'm happy so far.

The string sound, I'm not totally sold on, when it hits that prominent, high riff (Ab-Db-C-Bb). The strings sound a bit more real when they're tucked away behind everything else, but out front, exposed, they feel a little stiff. I have this same problem in all of my WIPs, and I've yet to master the art of producing a convincing orchestral sound. I'd start by playing around with different articulations if you have them available to you.

- I've now changed it a bit, changed velocity down to 64(was 127) and panning up to 22(was 0) and keeping stereo width same(127).

Just tell me if it still needs changing.

Also, since this is still a work-in-progress, maybe this doesn't need saying, but I'd recommend writing a way out of the song with something other than a fade-out. One of the first (and best) bits of advice I ever got on OCR was that "a fade-out is a cop-out." Unless you're doing something really ambient where you gradually bring in and subsequently fade out multiple textural layers (see Disco Dan's "Riptide," from Donkey Kong Country), it's often best to end your song with confidence, or... a punctuation mark.

- I kept fade-out still on but it's lengthier than previous one.

Solid work so far, in my opinion. Lots of things are working well in this song.

- Thanks, very much appreciated, keep 'em coming! :)

Oops!

Almost forgot!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/817678/deusexunatco2h.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/817678/deusexunatco2h.aac

BadliZ

This is a nice, fulfilling arrangement of the source. I suspect we have ourselves a Deus Ex fan, here. :<

Some of the texture instruments have a bit of a strange sound to them (no attack or release and heavy reverb), which works in some contexts, but in this case kind of get in the way of the thicker, more rich sounds you employ. Might just be my taste, though.

I like this. ;)