OCR01431 - Doom "Jade Spawn"

djpretzel

Okay. Probably my favourite of the Dark Side of Phobos, but I won't put it down to just one track. It's definitely up there. Just a wonderful progression throughout the whole song, of which is hard source to work with. Bladiator and TO work well together, as evident in 'Clairvoyant Elegy'. Jade Spawn is an improvement on that collaboration. Keep working together guys.

Easily one of the most brooding and dark pieces on the Dark Side of Phobos, Jade Spawn is also one of my personal favorites (amongst a whole slew of awesome tracks). TO's moody atmosphere blends together perfectly with Bladiator's piano and the result is excellent.

As I pointed out to TO, when the drums pick up pace midsong, it always reminds me of the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack. Not the best comparison but it's my personal note to the song. :D

A classic track.

This is a beautiful piece. It keeps a steady, enticing atmosphere that's always changing, so it needs no real climax. It's just great to listen to.

When the bass line came in, it's reminded me directly of Craig Armstrong's "Weatherstorm". They even share the same aspect of arrangement in regards to a more ambient structure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ah, I'm anxious! Then there's some high and reverbed piano and it goes away. Is this the MYST mix? I suppose it sounds like 'jade.' Very pretty stuff, though, I dunno how much of the original feeling it leaves. I'm gonna give it a 4 on Ormgas. Btw, those drums kick lotsa arse.

• 1 year later...

Fantastic atmosphere that TO is clearly a master at, with some great backing strings and hugely reverberated percussion. This song feels incomprehensibly deep, yet at the same time, the tension is so high to make it feel claustrophobic. The in-game monster sounds hidden about and the vocals punctuate this . An excellent juxtaposition that works very well. To make it even better, Bladiator adds some sorrowful and understatedly beautiful piano work.

As the beat gains intensity, I was expecting it to have a more prominent climax, but it seemed not as strong as it could have been. The piano outro was nice, but seemed somewhat tacked on. A minor complaint, as the song itself is excellent.

Highly Recommended.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Beautiful piano piece backed up with some perfect subtle atmospheric details. Surprisingly optimistic in parts, while others had a bleaker edge more characteristic of the source material. It's quite an odd ride, submerging into eerieness and surfacing into some very pretty sounding moments over and over. As strange as it is, it never stops sounding fantastic. The female vocals sounded very Twilight Princess-ish, but I dug them regardless.

I really enjoyed the relaxed nature of the mix's structure. It's a piano piece, through and through, and I appreciate that everything else was gravy. Getting atmosphere crazy or intruding on the piano's turf would have created an entirely different mix; not for the better methinks.

Awesome collab piece and a favourite when it comes to both ambience and piano. Big ups.

• 1 year later...

You know, I've had this song in my collection for a long time now, and to this day I still turn up the volume and listen closely.

It just does such a good job of telling the story of a lone marine facing such impossible odds and impending doom, yet continuing to push forward.

Like at 1:25 when there's the first big piano hit, there's a sense of something really big coming. It tapers off a bit, like shock wearing off, and at the 2 minute mark when it transitions to a major key, its almost like this marine has begun to pray that this trip to Hell will spare him his soul, that he's actively seeking and maybe even receiving some kind of spiritual aid..

2:25 it goes a bit further with some tentatively positive vibes, perhaps having found a stash of advanced weaponry or health packs. Or maybe he's just accepted his imminent death and is ready to begin the battle.

At 2:42, it unceremoniously transitions back to a minor key. Sh*t's about to get real.

And it just goes from there, ever more intense until the very end where it finishes with almost a whisper. Maybe his soul DID escape, even if his body didn't.

That one piano note where the drums end at 5:29.. I always picture someone looking down, slowly pulling their hand from their chest and seeing blood.. those final high piano notes at the very end, looking up and seeing bright light..

Then again, I'm a computer geek, software engineer, musician, and gamer - I get into remixes on many levels.. maybe I'm just reading too deep :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01431 - Doom "Jade Spawn"