Some help with soundfounts and Cakewalk SONAR X1

ShadTK

I'm not sure if this is on the right place, but I'll ask anyway.

I've been messing around with Cakewalk sonar X1 for a while. So far, I'm loving the software (It's much more detailed then FL in my opinion, but still easier to use then reason 6 or similar softwares). My objective is to complete at least one track before the end of the year.

But I have a problem: Soundfounts.

I don't have much money to spend on music software right now (as much as I would LOVE to grab a copy of anything from EWQL. And yes, sonar isn't original, at least not yet), and I don't really have much experience on installing VSTi's or soundfounts.

I've used Sonar standard instruments to create my stuff so far, but I'm in need of an orchestral drum sound. I've found a soundfount that should fit like a glove, but the extension is .sf2. Apparently, SONAR x1 have no synths that can run .sf2, aside of the sfz+101, but whenever I select the soundfount I want, nothing happens. No sound is loaded, and I can't use the synth on any of my MIDI lines.

Yadayadayada, question: How do I use soundfounts effectively on Sonar X1? Should I download some extra VST, or am i doing something wrong with the sfz+, or something else...?

Thanks for your attention.

Yadayadayada, question: How do I use soundfounts effectively on Sonar X1? Should I download some extra VST, or am i doing something wrong with the sfz+, or something else...?

LinuxSampler works well with SFZ and other soundfont types.

http://download.linuxsampler.org/packages/win32/snapshots/ - latest version on the bottom.

Maybe that'll help? Either way, it's really nice.

Apparently, SONAR x1 have no synths that can run .sf2, aside of the sfz+101, but whenever I select the soundfount I want, nothing happens. No sound is loaded, and I can't use the synth on any of my MIDI lines.

no mames. I didn't see that when I first read it, my sincerest apologies. :tomatoface:

I've been using this ----> http://www.tx16wx.com/home

but what timaeus posted looks like it'll do the job, too.

though, if you still want to try to get SFZ+ to work I'd recommend trying some of these suggestions: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2208197&high=sfz

I could only get the Dimension pro piano, and a few soundfonts from here to work. I think the main thing depends on if you're running 64 or 32bit and setting your playmode based on that. Everything else should fall in place. :)

also, installing VSTs/softsynths/etc. shouldn't be a big problem either. When you've acquired your 3rd-party plugins just choose to move those plugin folders into the Sonar plugin folders (I think "C:> Program Files> Cakewalk> Sonar X1 > Vst Instruments" but I'm not at my computer right now so I'll have to check later), or you can have a folder on your desktop (or on an external drive or whatever) and name that something like "3rd party plugins."

Then just open up Sonar, go to Edit > Preferences > and add the "3rd party plugin" folder to your Folder Locations, re-scan them, and you're good to go.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

And thanks for explaining a bit about how to install VSTi'd, Jordanus. My biggest headache when it comes to music software is installing then, rather then actually using then.

I'll try out both of the synths you suggested, and I'll also try to get sfz to work. If it still refuses to work, I'll post here again.

Thanks a lot!