Sonic CD: Temporal Duality - History

SuperiorX

Most of the places you're going to promote an OCR project, the audience has a clue that the remixes are inherently interpretive. And even within the music community, our albums are usually so diverse that they have something to love and something to hate for everyone. Sonic Stadium has a really broad audience, and it's really no surprise that people not at all interested (or even aware of, perhaps, in some cases) in the interpretation side of remixing are turned off by this.

I also can appreciate the sentiment that even decent vocal performances or lyrics can sometimes actually bring a track down. It's not unlike a drum pattern that needs more variation, or a piano sequenced just a little too mechanically. There may not be anything specifically wrong, but when there's clearly so much room for improvement, once you notice it, it can be hard to ignore. They're a finicky thing, those vocals.

I wonder how many of those toolbags bitched about something stupid like Sonic being the "wrong shade of blue" when Sonic 4 came out. Freakin' try-hard purists everywhere, man.
Actually ...you know, you're not far wrong. When Sonic 4 was actually announced a lot of the 'extreme fans' complained about Sonic's eye colour being green instead of full black. I am not even shitting you. It get's a little ..er ..scary sometimes, especially when the hardest of core fans get on a hate trail.

(those same extremist fans once attacked our NiGHTS community because we had been campaigning and petitioning to get the character in to the first Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing game ...it didn't even involve them but they felt the need to blast our community to high hell, all because we were asking for our character to be featured.)

One thing to remember though is the Sonic series has a massive fanbase, all walks of life and all from different era's from the Hedgehog's career. I've been to some of the Sonic conventions here in the UK hosted by the UK Sonic community and they're a really great bunch, hell they had a rave at the last one and 50% of the music played were remixes by OCR alone! So the love is there, for sure!

I just want to remind everyone that while i certainly don't condone the unbelievably shitty way some of the fans are responding to this project, there are still some great fans out there looking forward to this.

And this leads me on to -

Always remember that whatever you do, some people will hate you and what you've done. :wink:But some people will always love it! :)
Hit the nail on the head, man! :)

We're doing this because we LOVE it. You can hear it in the quality of the work. And because we love what we do there are people who will feel it and love it too.

It's those people we should be focusing on.

Haters gonna hate, so skate over them when we release this bad boy!! XD

Edited by DiGi Valentine

The fanbase with Sonic is really mixed.

It got really screwed up within the past few years. People, for some reason, blame Sonic Adventure 2 for that. I seriously don't know.

There are still the awesome fans out there that aren't like complete morons (like me... hehehe), but what I've noticed with the Sonic fanbase is there seems to be more idiot fans of Sonic out there than a lot of other fanbases.

I could be wrong. But that's what I see. The fanbase of Zelda or even Mario doesn't seem nearly as immature or... uhm... like this.

but what I've noticed with the Sonic fanbase is there seems to be more idiot fans of Sonic out there than a lot of other fanbases.
Because i'm so involved with Sonic Team based communities (i still kinda co-run the NiGHTS into Dreams one) i get to see first hand how the Sonic lot act. They have their fair share of nutjobs, but i think every fanbase has them. We just tend to notice the Sonic lot more because ..well ..we're surrounded by them and our work tends to fall in to their catchment net! XD

I mean, for example, i'm a huge Final Fantasy VII fan. But fucking hell, i can't even scroll two posts on Tumblr without coming across some extremist fans arguing with FULL ON HATE MODE ACTIVATED about love triangles, of all things. LOVE TRIANGLES!! What the shit?!

Lol, there are bad eggs in every basket, we just need to chuck those in the trash and cook with the good ones! :)!!

I think what finally made me facepalm with the Sonic fanbase was when I started seeing pictures of Sonic and Shadow having sex.

And there's pervs out there for every fanbase.

But this one just seems the most... unnecessary.

And the amount of "recolors" (I think that's what they call them) that Sonic has and the horrible fanmade characters and such is just embarrassing.

And fan made stories of Sonic are pretty bad too. Though I'm sure every fanbase has got a bit of that. Ou.

You know, some of the best types of fans i come across are the ones who don't reside in any communities. I call them 'adrift fans'. They contain as much love as any other fan who regularly visits a forum, but they keep to themselves online. And they're unbelievably humble too. I find that a lot of the work OCR puts out gets heavily praised by these adrift fans, because they're not constantly surrounded by negativity and they form genuinely well structured opinions of the songs we make. They tend to be just happy that their favourite games are being covered at all.

I do feel sometimes the Sonic fans take for granted what they have, all this love for one hedgehog and they just can't get along. Every other old school SEGA franchise struggles to remain active these days, one day when the hedgehog has been packed away in to its box by the company they're going to lose their shit.

But i digress, yeah. Some fans are just crazy as all hell.

Totally agreed.

I seriously think what I hate the most of the Sonic fanbase is they attack all these other decent Sonic games but then won't accept the fact that Sonic '06 was pure crap.

I have gotten in arguments and then regretted why I even got in the argument debating over that horrible game. I've just simply learned that so many of the people in the community seriously just won't accept that it's a bad game. It doesn't matter how much one tries to make points it isn't a bad game, it is a bad game.

The only good part of it was the music, but hardly ever is there a time a Sonic game fails to have a good soundtrack.

I would just like to jump in here for a sec and mention that I'm a Sonic Fan :). I like OCR and Sonic. I like Sonic remixes, and All of the Sonic games :D. They all have great music.

With that said, just know that you have one Sonic fan who Fully supports this project, and Can, Not, Wait, to see....or rather hear what you guys come up with :mrgreen:.

I guess I'm the friendly Sonic fan xD.

Tuberz, always plugging the tars. ;)

As a remixer growing up with this site, I advise you not to read into different threads on different websites about what they think of your projects. If you want to find some hate, simply head to your own profile and check out some reviews of your tracks from 2000 lol. XD

Focus on the music, make the song yours and no-one else's. This is what you're here for. Yes people need criticism in order to improve their tracks, but it's far more productive to get that from your peers, not random fans on random websites.

Joel, it's so great to see you on this project! I used to listen to your mixes years ago. My favorite was your Angel Island collab with Malcos. I'll drive anywhere with the windows down and the volume cranked unashamedly to that track.

Thanks a bunch KingTiger! With me on here, we're bound to get some crit.

It's kind of bizarre, because through social links I got involved with one of the TSSMA albums and I didn't get hated on just because I have a few tracks on OCR (in fact the response behind

was rather substantial). I saw it as a way to be able to create great arrangements while not worrying about OCR's standards too much, but I was still myself through and through.

So if they don't attack the artist if they've done something for them, what ARE they attacking? That to me is the one that will be raising more questions than the mere "lol generic ocr hate" statements we often pass around o.O

• 3 weeks later...
Next check-in date is this Saturday, June 1st! A lot of our tracks are making really good progress. Let's keep it up! :-)

I won't be able to make that deadline for the Bogue's track, but I've done some mixing for my Sonic Boom track and I'm feeling it's just about done. We'll see what you think soon.

I won't be able to make that deadline for the Bogue's track, but I've done some mixing for my Sonic Boom track and I'm feeling it's just about done. We'll see what you think soon.

Sounds good Dustin! I figured it'd be a bit longer on Chernabogue's mix since I know you're really busy with Gunstar Heroes. And cool, Sonic Boom was pretty much done other than some of the mixing crits we brought up, so I'll be looking forward to hearing the next version. Thanks! :-)