Music Sequencing Programs?

Deathbourne

I use Guitar Pro for sequencing. It uses guitar tab notation, but also supports standard notation I believe.

I started with Guitar Pro myself, and yeah it does support standard notation, though its more limited than something like Sibelius in that regard. I'd recommend Sibelius for notation. Sibelius may have a 30-day trial period, I can't quite recall. There are other options like Finale, and Finale has a cheap $10 version called Finale Notepad, though its pretty limited. Personally I like Sibelius but it can be pricey if you want to be legit about it.

I started with Guitar Pro myself, and yeah it does support standard notation, though its more limited than something like Sibelius in that regard. I'd recommend Sibelius for notation. Sibelius may have a 30-day trial period, I can't quite recall. There are other options like Finale, and Finale has a cheap $10 version called Finale Notepad, though its pretty limited. Personally I like Sibelius but it can be pricey if you want to be legit about it.

What advantages does Sibelius have over Guitar Pro?

I went to their site and I saw a pic of a guy with a guitar and working with the program. I do not have a guitar or any musical device what-so-ever, as I stated earlier I have no musical talent, BUT, would like to try some dabbling with some sort of program that can translate one of my many .midi or older .mp3 video game pieces into actual notes, then, allow me to create something that is an upgrade, both sound wise and fun to put together. I do love alot of the work on here, and even though I'm not a "musician" would like to putz around with the whole music thing.

Sorry if I seem like a complete Baldric on this topic (why I posted it under newbie, whatever section :P ). I'm sure there has to be a music for dummies version of some sort of software out there somewhere lol. :<

What I'm envisioning is a program that has a screen where i can click on a piano key, guitar string, etc it make the correct corresponding sounding note. When I finally arrange a series of what i deem to be successful notes then be able to save their pattern. Then while the original is saved play another batch of complimentary notes, add them on top of my original set, so that the two become one. Maybe add one more set to blend together idk, then with all those done sit back and listen to my special blend. If no such program exists I'll just resign myself to someone who can only listen :(

What I'm envisioning is a program that has a screen where i can click on a piano key, guitar string, etc it make the correct corresponding sounding note. When I finally arrange a series of what i deem to be successful notes then be able to save their pattern. Then while the original is saved play another batch of complimentary notes, add them on top of my original set, so that the two become one. Maybe add one more set to blend together idk, then with all those done sit back and listen to my special blend. If no such program exists I'll just resign myself to someone who can only listen :(

Your description seems to fit the functionality of any loop/region-based sequencer, with the exception of the note input display - most wouldn't bother with graphical representations of instruments when the note data ends up similar to that of a piano anyway.

Regarding programs, Wikipedia has some links for you. I would personally recommend GarageBand or its Windows twin Mixcraft, but any software where you can make music will do, at least until you get serious about the production stuff.

If you don't have any prior music skills, you'll start out by making terrible music for at least a year. Just so you know. I think we all did that. :D