DK Island Swing Remix

MtM

So, here's my newest project. It's a rock remix of DK Island Swing from Donkey Kong Country. I know the guitar solo is shit right now, I'm going to work more on that later, as well as figure out an actual ending. I'm just wondering what your opinions are on the mixing, arrangement, basically everything else. :)

Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9PHNikoA5M

Remix:

http://soundcloud.com/mtm2/work-in-progress-kooooooong

Sounds great. Love the energy. I don't know the original (a link to the original would help with giving feedback)

The most immediate issues to me is the compression. There's so much ducking and its just destroying your mix. A bit of cleaning up with some EQ and perhaps tightening up the bass a bit more EQ-wise. It sounds a little too flumpy.

The rhythms need some taming with EQ and balance. Have you recorded the left and right twice or just copied and hard panned? If you haven't that would help. I like the drum writing a lot, the synths are well-suited. You just need to clean up the mix a bit with some EQ and sort out the (over)compression.

The solo is actually good as it fits and isn't just wankery. Just tighten it up and refine some of the licks a little bit.

Overall I like it and think that this has potential to be supremely awesome, but just needs to more polish and love. Hope that helps and by no means is the feedback I give gospel :smile:

Sounds great. Love the energy. I don't know the original (a link to the original would help with giving feedback)

The most immediate issues to me is the compression. There's so much ducking and its just destroying your mix. A bit of cleaning up with some EQ and perhaps tightening up the bass a bit more EQ-wise. It sounds a little too flumpy.

The rhythms need some taming with EQ and balance. Have you recorded the left and right twice or just copied and hard panned? If you haven't that would help. I like the drum writing a lot, the synths are well-suited. You just need to clean up the mix a bit with some EQ and sort out the (over)compression.

The solo is actually good as it fits and isn't just wankery. Just tighten it up and refine some of the licks a little bit.

Overall I like it and think that this has potentially supremely awesome, but just needs to more polish and love. Hope that helps and by no means is the feedback I give gospel :smile:

Ahh, that's a good point. Here's the original on Youtube, I'll put it in the first post as well. The vocals at the end are from the end of the DK Rap from Donkey Kong 64.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9PHNikoA5M

And thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely work on that stuff. That's actually pretty much what I was planning on doing with the solo, just taking it lick by lick and tightening it up.

How can someone not know this source?

It is an interesting take. I'd check the chords used on the main riff, I'm not sure all of them fit that well. Maybe you should avoid using 5ths on the guitar, I believe there are some slightly of tune.

I don't really like the synth lead, but that's your call! (the octaves are what kills me I think).

Distortion is too heavy on the 1:30 guitar. It is a neat idea, but I think it'd work better with a cleaner guitar.

I don't think the mixing is that bad, a bit muddy yes but not terrible.

Good song!