AotS/X-Play canceled, apparently.

Melbu Frahma

In theory, I really liked the concept of both shows. Execution was another matter.

AOTS often was nothing more than an hour long commercial for sponsors. It was true they had occassional news stories, reviews, and some web videos, although sometimes the web videos were dubious promotional materials. I really hate the fake-ass audience that cheers everything.

X-Play wasn't much different, sans fake audience. Content was typical over-hyped previews, and reviews that had no teeth when it came to criticism of anything proclaimed "AAA" from a major publisher. Sure they'd beat on JRPG's or Dynasty Warriors 47, but you'd never see them level serious criticism against CoD.

Still it makes me little sad to see there's nothing gaming-related left on TV... The channel could've been something special.

What the hell is G4 gonna be now other than Ninja Warrior/Cops/Cheaters?

What the hell is G4 gonna be now other than Ninja Warrior/Cops/Cheaters?

I think this is why it bothers me, more than anything. I agree - for the most part, the shows were giant commercials, but at least they talked about gaming, and occasionally had good reviews/segments. At least back when I watched (2005-2007) they did. But seriously, without this, what else is the channel going to have? Based on the last season, they already lost half of the rights to Ninja Warrior to... CBS? Or NBC? One of those. And that was the only other show on their station I actually enjoyed.

Oh well.

NBC. Comcast owns both G4 and NBC. I wouldn't be surprised if at this point Comcast just kills G4 entirely. There's really no reason to keep it going at this point, is there?

That, or convert it over to some sort of website, maybe with web show content. I mean, the original idea of the channel - give serious coverage to the cutting edge in technology and entertainment, with an eye toward "geek" culture - is a great idea, but most people get their info on that kind of thing online now. If they could switch it over, maybe take it in a Consumer Reports direction but with an entertainment element, it could probably still work. As it is now, though, you're right - not much point.

G4 shouldn't be a TV channel, it's as simple as that. Back when they had The Screen Savers and Electric Playground MAYBE, that was some good stuff then. But basically the channel became: Coverage for E3 (which is what, a week? And is covered better / more thoroughly on Youtube)

That leaves the majority of the rest of the year where they spam repeats of Cops and Ninja Warrior which was just dumb. They had a distinct lack of content on the channel. Now without their 2 main shows I can't foresee anything but the entire channel being liquidated.

I do believe the actual plan for G4 is to turn it into a channel based on content like GQ or Esquire magazines, making it a channel for the "modern male"

I think I heard something like that too, but doesn't the "modern male" play videogames?

So is it gonna be the male equivalent of the "Women's Channel" or "Oxygen"? I think there's plenty of "guy" channels already anyway.

Personally I always wished for re-runs or a modern day equivalent of

They might as well just port it over to online. One of these days, not just the gaming community, but indeed all of America's commoners will see the internet as the probable future of entertainment, and television as a relic of the past to fall back on should the internet be somehow mysteriously obliterated.

But most importantly, why didn't X-Play put more effort into their show?