Playstation All Stars Beta

AngelCityOutlaw

So, there are a few days left for the public beta. Googlin' around the internet, critical response to the beta has been mixed at best.

I'm not sure what I think of it. It seems kind of stupid that the game doesn't offer any alternative to defeating opponents. You must always use the super moves. It can be difficult to tell where your character is on screen and the characters in the beta are about as balanced as Captain Jack Sparrow on a unicycle.

I want to be excited for Playstation Smash Bros. and I know this is only a beta, but I can't say I'm super hyped about it any more.

What do you people think of the beta version of the game so far?

I was expecting to like it more. The characters in the beta are mostly unappealing to me aesthetically. I mostly used Kratos and Radec. Radec was my favorite. My interest in the game has plummeted. It didn't play particularly well, and honestly, even though there was a brief tutorial, I felt like I was playing it wrong. Maybe the actual release will have more training videos or something. I only played it on Vita.

Whenever this gets released (I don't know if a release date has been announced), I'm expecting critics to widely pan it. There's a difference between borrowing elements from Smash Bros and making more than a few mistakes, and Sony made a LOT of them, with the Super Moves being the biggest one.

Whenever this gets released (I don't know if a release date has been announced), I'm expecting critics to widely pan it. There's a difference between borrowing elements from Smash Bros and making more than a few mistakes, and Sony made a LOT of them, with the Super Moves being the biggest one.

I believe it comes out next month.

Isn't Seth Killian the guy who's actually lead designer for this game? I say we blame him, damn it! :<

I was expecting to like it more. The characters in the beta are mostly unappealing to me aesthetically. I mostly used Kratos and Radec. Radec was my favorite. My interest in the game has plummeted. It didn't play particularly well, and honestly, even though there was a brief tutorial, I felt like I was playing it wrong. Maybe the actual release will have more training videos or something. I only played it on Vita.

I fully expected the game to have ring-outs...Seems to me that they are trying to make it less like Smash Bros by removing things that make Smash Bros great instead of adding and expanding upon the overall Smash Bros formula.

I believe it comes out next month.

Isn't Seth Killian the guy who's actually lead designer for this game? I say we blame him, damn it! :<

I fully expected the game to have ring-outs...Seems to me that they are trying to make it less like Smash Bros by removing things that make Smash Bros great instead of adding and expanding upon the overall Smash Bros formula.

There are supposed to be a lot of hardcore fighting game pros on the dev team. It's supposed to be crazy balanced, is what I've been hearing. The level of polish in the beta didn't match the hype from the press and developers (big surprise). I also remember reading that in high level play you typically don't use level 3 supers at all, that it's more effective to just use your level one as soon as you get it. Kinda makes sense to maximize your number of knockouts. I just didn't like the game. I was excited since it's cross buy on Vita and Ps3, and I could always use more Vita games.

There are supposed to be a lot of hardcore fighting game pros on the dev team. It's supposed to be crazy balanced, is what I've been hearing. The level of polish in the beta didn't match the hype from the press and developers (big surprise). I also remember reading that in high level play you typically don't use level 3 supers at all, that it's more effective to just use your level one as soon as you get it. Kinda makes sense to maximize your number of knockouts. I just didn't like the game. I was excited since it's cross buy on Vita and Ps3, and I could always use more Vita games.

I know that Killian is involved somehow (either in dev or in pr or somthin), and also pro gamer Clockwerk is helping balance as well.

I just always thought the fighting system looked dumb, but I think a friend was going to get the beta so I'm gonna see if I can play it with him sometime.

But hey at least Parappa's in it durrr

I played the "beta" and even as a fan of Sony and their IPs, I find the game to be a bit soulless. The menu design was so plain and lackluster, the characters blend into the background and I often couldn't figure out where I was because the action is so chaotic. As for the actual gameplay, it's kind of fun to pull off a nice multikill. I played as Fat Princess, Parappa and Kratos and I think I had the most fun as Fat Princess, but the game feels slower than it should. Eh. Disappointed.

There are supposed to be a lot of hardcore fighting game pros on the dev team. It's supposed to be crazy balanced, is what I've been hearing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Colonel_Radec.png

NOPE

The game is pretty lame. I had fun playing as Parrappa (who is not only the only character I've actually played the game he belongs to, but is also a flat character like Mr. Game and Watch, who is my fav from Smash Bros) but OMG RADEC everytime someone played as him I was tempted to ragequit. they SERIOUSLY need to fix his sniper rifle. That thing is OP as heck.

The characters are uninteresting, the menus are boring, and there are too many kinds of attacks for this kind of game. Smash bros got it right with two sets: Close combat attacks and special attacks. You never know what circle, X or triangle will do for any character. It feels completely random. Plus, the few items that are there made no sense. A round, yellow hexagon? Duh, of course that's a bomb. At least in Smash Bros when you see an item you usually know what it does(swing a bat, eat a mushroom, grab a pokeball, etc) It also has poor feedback on your actions: none of the attacks feel like they pack any punch, and i constantly forgot I was supposed to collect the glowing blue balls. They didn't chime or anything when you get them. Plus the insane overabundance of guns and bombs is just annoying.

Overall the game just lacks charm and feels lifeless Maybe it's the lack of a cheering and interactive crowd, but I was SO uninvested it wasn't even funny. Granted this is only the beta, but if the final game is like this then I am very unlikely to buy it. I mean, really: has anyone EVER lost sleep over who would win in a fight between Fat Princess and Kratos, much less wondered what their fighting styles would be?

i cannot remember hearing a single good thing about this game from a member of the gaming press. not one. most importantly the people at giant bomb were essentially like 'yeah this game sucks' which sells me. they play it and then they talk while playing, and the entire time they were like 'what? okay.. i guess..' and it really does look completely pointless. get hit/hit someone enough times to charge up your meter, and then use a super. getting hit really has no consequence until it's a super. until then who cares?

get hit/hit someone enough times to charge up your meter, and then use a super. getting hit really has no consequence until it's a super. until then who cares?

Pretty much sums it up.

With any luck, they will push the release date back and spend more time on it. Unlikely, I know, but I too have yet to see a forum or anywhere in the gaming press that is just flowing with positive feedback for this game.

EDIT: Oh wait, apparently it has been in development for years. Just give up.

Overflow brings up some very good points. It felt like something was off when I played the demo, and indeed, the fact that square, triangle, and circle buttons don't correspond to any specific move type is a huge minus. That's a pretty standard premise for ANY fighting game, but not here, so there's a mental disconnect between what you press and how you think it will react.

It's basically a halfway point between Smash and other fighting games, but it's not a happy medium.

• 2 weeks later...