Looking for help "getting my chops" back

Hi everyone, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area for this but I thought this place would be the most effective for help. I have been a musician for over a decade as a bassist, and I am trying to explore the world of composition. Through a friend of a friend, I have been introduced to the DAW Reaper, and while intimidating, it looks like something I can get on board with. However, I have to admit it has been a few years since I've been on top of my music theory; I remember some scales and such, but as a bassist I'm a little weak on reading treble clef and understanding chords. With the advent of smartphones/tablets, I was wondering if there are any apps you guys could recommend for someone like me who has learned theory, but is relatively rusty. In addition, any other tips for starting composition and how to learn all this stuff while keeping my day job and social life intact, haha. Thanks guys, I hope you can help.

...but as a bassist I'm a little weak on reading treble clef and understanding chords.

My only beef with your post. I know how you feel though.

Check out Stu Hamm's Fretboard Fitness. Use youtube as a constant source of motivation and inspiration. Read Treble cleff. Chords can be tough since they are so limiting on a bass. Either you get something that ties up your hands or is so full of mud no one can tell it's a chord. Use single/double stops to represent chords just to get some kind of tonality and record that to play over top of. If you are proficient at all of the techniques of bass playing then you can mix Rhythm, Harmony and Melody between your two hands.

I would strongly encourage investing in a midi keyboard for learning because chords are so much easier to deal with when you can drop your hand and get exactly what you want then look at the shape and the notes you use to better get a feel for it.

Not having screwed around with apps myself i don't know if any really help. Seems like a waste of money when there are free lessons on youtube.

...how to learn all this stuff while keeping my day job and social life intact,

Nope. :P

I've written a supposedly useful guide about music stuff, check my sig. Beyond that, if you play in a band, start trading instruments. Bass isn't a bad instrument to come from, assuming you've been playing more than just root notes and octaves.

My only beef with your post. I know how you feel though.

Check out Stu Hamm's Fretboard Fitness. Use youtube as a constant source of motivation and inspiration. Read Treble cleff. Chords can be tough since they are so limiting on a bass. Either you get something that ties up your hands or is so full of mud no one can tell it's a chord. Use single/double stops to represent chords just to get some kind of tonality and record that to play over top of. If you are proficient at all of the techniques of bass playing then you can mix Rhythm, Harmony and Melody between your two hands.

I would strongly encourage investing in a midi keyboard for learning because chords are so much easier to deal with when you can drop your hand and get exactly what you want then look at the shape and the notes you use to better get a feel for it.

Not having screwed around with apps myself i don't know if any really help. Seems like a waste of money when there are free lessons on youtube.

Thanks, I will. Stupid question but please bear with me; I definitely need to know chords in order to compose right?

Thanks, I will. Stupid question but please bear with me; I definitely need to know chords in order to compose right?

Not in the slightest. Like knowing the grammar of any language, it helps, but you can communicate knowing just what you know. I was surprised when i found out that Paul McCartney didn't even know basic music theory. (according to a few of my music teachers that were raised on the beetles.) The catch is though that you will have to spend a ton of time struggling to figure out things that others will have no problem coming up with.

Any single aspect of music is only 1/9th of the whole thing at best. So if you know what to pay attention to you can make up lack of knowledge in one area with the others.

Notes, Dynamics, Expression, Rhythm, Harmony, Melody, Accents, Phrasing, Production, and whatever else you want to throw in there.

I was surprised when i found out that Paul McCartney didn't even know basic music theory. (according to a few of my music teachers that were raised on the beetles.)

It's The Beatles ^^. But yeah, Paul knows nothing about writing or reading music, really.

And I know very little as well. I mean, I know stuff like Cm7 and Ab13 and stuff but I'm not a genius when it comes to chords.

But I would most certainly encourage the use of knowing chords and being able to write them. If you don't plan on doing it for a living, I don't think it's all that important. But if you were to be a songwriter for other people or a studio musician, it would be best you knew this stuff.

But I highly doubt you are going to be a studio musician. But hey, I could be wrong. :)

I disagree with the whole "the theory isn't that important" mentality.

Yeah, theory isn't a formula for creating great music, but the more you understand it, the easier it is to understand existing compositions.

Being able to thoroughly analyse and understand what is going on in your favourite songs is useful as hell because then you will be able to break down and figure out what the composer did and why it worked. Then, you can apply the same concepts that you learned to your own music.

That and it makes communication with other musicians easy.

I disagree with the whole "the theory isn't that important" mentality.

Yeah, theory isn't a formula for creating great music, but the more you understand it, the easier it is to understand existing compositions.

Being able to thoroughly analyse and understand what is going on in your favourite songs is useful as hell because then you will be able to break down and figure out what the composer did and why it worked. Then, you can apply the same concepts that you learned to your own music.

That and it makes communication with other musicians easy.

Thank you. It's not that I'm theory illiterate; it's just as a bassist my expertise lies with basslines and using stuff like 12 bar blues, etc. If you have any advice for me in terms of stuff I can learn that can help, let me know!

Thank you. It's not that I'm theory illiterate; it's just as a bassist my expertise lies with basslines and using stuff like 12 bar blues, etc. If you have any advice for me in terms of stuff I can learn that can help, let me know!

Best to start learning from the master himself.

Pay good attention to 2:35

I talked to this guy twice in my life for a few minutes and each time it was life changing. (The first time i talked with him he said "You look like a bass player." to this day it's the greatest compliment i've ever received)

Best to start learning from the master himself.

Pay good attention to 2:35

I talked to this guy twice in my life for a few minutes and each time it was life changing. (The first time i talked with him he said "You look like a bass player." to this day it's the greatest compliment i've ever received)

I am well aware of Master Wooten. This man is one of the reasons I've never given up being a bassist. The fact that you were even able to speak with him is amazing. I never knew he had a lessons DVD; I will be buying that ASAP.

Please keep the advice coming everyone, I am taking notes. Especially composition wise. Also what are everyone's thoughts on Reaper?