PRC231 - Results - Entry to the Shadows (Shadowgate)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 231

PRCv9-23

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last round Toilet Goat submitted a song pretty fast. I could have closed the round directly after the first day, because no one else managed to get a song in on time, also not after extending. After a fast submission, Toilet Goat also submitted the source extremely fast, so PRC231 starts directly after the end of PRC230.

This round's source is selected by Toilet Goat:

well that's a shame that only I managed to get a song made :/

but nevertheless, here's my song for next contest:

http://www.midishrine.com/ostepop/nes/Shadowgate/sgthem2.mid

http://www.midishrine.com/ostepop/nes/Shadowgate/sgtheme.mid

I played this game as a child, and I remember that it was pretty scary one at that time.

I never got past the damn bridge where fire surrounded you and then you died to the heat if I recall, but

when I got older I tried the game again, managing to exceed my younger self, by finishing the game! :D

About the song, I think it's one of the most memorable ones in the game, like the death theme. Perhaps

too short for a good mix, but I hope there's enough material to go.

PRC231.jpg

Source: Shadowgate (NES) - Entryway / Main Theme

MID 1

MID 2

Wikipedia

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by MONDAY November 12th 2012 at 11:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can post it in the thread if that doesn't work.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  5. The winner of last round cannot take part in the competition, but is free and encouraged to submit a bonus mix.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Ah, fond memories. I'm going to see if I can find time to get Reaper installed and try my hand at this--my last attempt at remixing was in Linux, which I do not recommend.

As this will be my first PRC: Is it acceptable to have a brief segment that uses a different source?

I always like to see newcomers. There's no problem to use other sources in the song as well, at long as the source of this PRC is the most important source in the song.

Good luck.

Ah, fond memories. I'm going to see if I can find time to get Reaper installed and try my hand at this--my last attempt at remixing was in Linux, which I do not recommend.

FWIW I'm doing fine on Linux with Renoise. Not sure if I'd really recommend it either though. :D Also I still have a huge list of things to sort out, such as trying to use Windows plugins with a wrapper, or using any external hardware. But, I didn't want to get Windows just to make music and I'm pretty comfortable with Renoise in Linux as it turns out. Fairly off-topic but there we go.

Much more importantly, welcome and good luck, hope you can make a track to submit! It's always great to have new participants.

--Eino

Supposedly Reaper has been tested running under Wine (32-bit only), which makes sense since it operates at a very high level.

So I imagine many remixers go through a stage where they think they can sing until they actually try to make a mix with vocals and it sounds horrible. That would be me right now. So glad I'm doing this on something I can't spend more than a week on even if I wanted to, but I already have lyrics so I'm going to make the most of it.

Is there a good guide anywhere around here for fixing up singing? People tell me I have a good singing voice, so I'm hoping I just don't know the tricks for what VSTs to apply and whatnot to make it work, and not that people have been lying to me all my life. I looked for such guides, but most of them offer just one or two tips (EQ, autotune, some reverb and delay but not too much) and they're not cutting it (though they help). I probably just don't know how to use them properly.

Good choice! I recently re-orchestrated this piece for the Shadowgate remake... check it out here:

http://soundcloud.com/rich-12-1/shadowgate-25th-anniv-castle

Good luck everyone. And no, I'm NOT entering this piece since it's for an official game.

Hey beckett007, your re-orchestrated version of "Entryway" sounds awesome. I'm already visualizing the epicness of entering the castle. Can't wait to hear your versions of the rest of the songs!

and wow, I didnt know about the kickstarter! But now that I know, I'm extremely happy. After checking the site I noticed that some of the guys who are re-making this game are the ones who made the first ones too! I just hope that there'll be plenty of new puzzles and the game wouldn't have many of the same puzzles from the older versions, because then I'd know what to do with the puzzles from my old memory :) But anyway, I wish good luck for you beckett007 in the scoring of the songs, and good luck for Zojoi, the developer team, hope the fundraise goes well.

and I hope we get many songs for PRC too

Dammit, I'm going orchestral, too. It was already not so great, but now it sounds really horrible by comparison. At least my version is a substantially different take.

I abandoned the vocal version and started over... it was beginning to sound disturbingly like the MIDI being played by an ice cream truck which was in the process of running over a singing hobo.

I have a start!

MindWanderer, recording vocals is kind of hard.. even if you have singing experience, singing properly to the microphone takes practice, as does doing decent takes.. it's pretty unforgiving. And hearing your recorded voice is always weird. It's been a long time since I tried to record, or was recorded, but I seem to recall compression being an essential effect/processing tool, at least I couldn't sing at an even volume for even a single phrase.

--Eino

Subbed! Technically kept a tiny vocal thing, but it's not really a vocal mix anymore. I can't imagine how people can churn out good remixes without a full weekend to devote to it (Reaper has me logged at 37 hours, although probably 10 hours of that was the original version that I scrapped). I wish I could say I'll get better and faster with practice, but it'll probably be a while before I can set aside even half that amount of time to a mix.

Still, it was fun, and I'm glad I did it. I'm also glad PRC exists--the timeframe it gives is just about right, and it's actually kind of nice to be given a source to practice one's skills on without being The Giant Opus You've Always Wanted To Do. Plus the standards are lower than those of the big compos. So thanks, Bundeslang, for keeping this going. Hopefully I can do it again sometime.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. 2 songs are submitted.

To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to second. Leave the third box empty.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote. They cannot vote for themselve, but they get a free first place bonus if they vote. It does not matter for the score, but feedback is appreciated.

Last rounds winner, Toilet Goat, has a vote that counts twice.

You have until THIS Wednesday, November 14th at 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC232.

The songs:

Check the ThaSauce Page:

It's results time.

Total number of mixes - 2

Total number of votes - 4

Maximum Score - 13.

0x25ec did a nice song, but he couldn't avoid winning the last place wooden spoon with 9 points.

And the winner of PRC231 by unanimous decision is MindWanderer with 13 points.

Congratulations MindWanderer, you are the winner. You may select the source for PRC232. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix).

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Send your source as fast as you can, but before Friday

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC231

Thanks for the feedback, those who provided it. toilet goat said he couldn't understand the voice part, which kind of surprises me, since he chose the source:

Five to find, three are one

One gives access, the bladed sun

The silver orb, to banish below

The Staff of Ages, to vanquish the foe

Joining two, the golden thorn

Last to invoke, the platinum horn

... which should be familiar to anyone who finished the game. ("Thorn" was "Blade" in at least the NES version of the game, for some reason, but "Thorn" is the canonical word according to the developers.)

As a bonus, here are the lyrics for the version I originally had in mind:

You are the last of a great line of hero-kings

Prophecy says you are destined for mighty things

A wizard named Lakmir has magicked you here

At Shadowgate Castle there's no time for fear

You'll face tons of cheap deaths once you pass through this gate

At the end of it all, there's a warlock in wait

Sure, he'll kill you quick with a wave of his staff

But if you don't hurry that's not all by half

He's gonna summon something badder than you

A big fuschia titan that can mash you into stew

Given half a chance

There's gargoyles, trolls, wyverns, dragons and more

But you needn't worry, cause you know the score

Talimar's doomed, he may not know it yet

But he should get worried the closer you get

Don't mess with heroes badder than you

'Specially not when they can always continue

Even when they're dead.

(Death music bridge)

(Five to find, three are one

One gives access, the bladed sun

The silver orb, to banish below

The Staff of Ages, to vanquish the foe!)

The staff is complete with the werewoman's thorn

And the last to invoke is the platinum horn

From the depths of the chasm the behemoth climbs

But the warlock's not seen you yet, so there's still time

You lift up your staff and its light blazes forth

But not at the warlock, you know that won't work

The behemoth screams and drags its master to hell

You can go home and you've a moral to tell:

Don't ever summon something badder than you

If it can kill you then you should eschew

(And that's as far as I got.)