Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion - Star Wars: Ep. 7 for 2015

Liontamer

Dayum.

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-buys-lucasfilm-for-4-billion-2012-10

http://youtu.be/YyqlTi7lkhY

Disney seems to take care of their franchises, and the Marvel Comics purchase has worked out great so far, IMO.

But Scott Bloom on the Tweeter had a fun question:

@ocremix So Disney is becoming the EA of the film industry?

Can't say I'm hyped about Star Wars: Episode VII personally, but it'll make bank, let's not waste time assuming otherwise.

So how are you guys feeling about this major acquisition?

Really?

I guess I can't speak for Marvel since I don't follow too closely, but I feel like Disney has sort of ruined Pixar. Once Disney acquired Pixar Studios, it seems like all of these mediocre 2's are coming out (Cars, Mosters Inc.) and 3D rereleases (Finding Nemo), and that their originals are lacking the Pixar magic that I had come to expect (Brave). I mean, looking at that, I can't say that I feel like this is a good thing. But I guess I'll have to wait and see...

Because of how deep in the shadow of the Original Trilogy it was, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones was #5 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2002. How much worse could an Episode 7 or an Episode Negative 2 be?

Well, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith had 57, 67, and 80 percent approval ratings respectively. Had they stood alone, they might've been regarded as some of the best films of their respective years. In the case of Revenge of the Sith, all time. This proves that putting the Star Wars name on the Prequel Trilogy did more to harm than help. If Disney makes another Trilogy, I imagine that none of them will achieve more than 45% approval rating, and they'll average about 30%... and then it won't be a matter of if they receive RAZZIE nominations, but how many!

Really?

I guess I can't speak for Marvel since I don't follow too closely, but I feel like Disney has sort of ruined Pixar. Once Disney acquired Pixar Studios, it seems like all of these mediocre 2's are coming out (Cars, Mosters Inc.) and 3D rereleases (Finding Nemo), and that their originals are lacking the Pixar magic that I had come to expect (Brave). I mean, looking at that, I can't say that I feel like this is a good thing. But I guess I'll have to wait and see...

I dunno about that. Post-Disney, we got Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3, all of which were amazing. I would also say that Brave was amazing as well, though you obviously disagree with me there. But all those movies were extremely well-received by audiences and critics alike.

I don't know how to feel about this. For one Disney is just becoming bigger and more evil for aquiring this, and I loathe Eisner's version of the company with a passion. However it would be damn nice to see some Star Wars movies that were written by somebody other than Lucas. The original three (4, 5, 6) were filtered through other writers to make them less kitchy and campy, whereas the more recent prequels were pretty much just Lucas, hence the really crap dialogue. Disney has to have some good writers somewhere.

I'm just afraid they're going to make Leia a Disney Princess, or churn out terrible CGI direct-to-bluray movies much like they have with those Tinkerbell movies.

disney buying things doesn't bother me at all. neither pixar nor marvel have dropped in quality, and it gives those two franchises much more money to work with.

anyone being like 'boo hoo evil disney empire' needs to point to an instance where disney has *truly* spoiled an outside franchise. making sequels is pretty common, so if you didn't like them whatever, but acting like it's disney's fault is pretty far fetched off of no evidence. people seem not to realize disney acquired pixar before they made the original cars, or the incredibles, or finding nemo. and especially before up.

disney is also the reason for the new tron legacy, and wreck it ralph, which everyone here seemed to jizz their pants over.

Actually the more I think about it, I think this will be great. The prequel trilogy was mediocre at best and Lucas seemed content just making cartoons since. So why not let people who actually want to do something with the franchise make movies, with an unlimited budget nonetheless. Plus there is soooooo much good content from the expanded universe books & comics that they could pull from to make future movies. It will be interesting to see where they go with a new trilogy though. Do you bring back the original trilogy actors or have it set waaaay in the future? Hmmm...

As long as the world provides us Muppet Star Wars, I can live with whatever else this purchase results in, good or bad.

While I'm still waiting for Pixar to take a crack at a Marvel animated film, Pixar doing some Star Wars would be totally acceptable too.

Also, as an implicit result from this, I've got my fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe LucasArts will loosen their death grip on their back catalog and we'll finally see Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, et. al. on some downloadable distribution services. *cough*gog.com*cough*

Disney is like the EA Games of the film industry.

Quoted for truth.

Honestly, I accepted long ago that what I truly long to see happen for Episodes 7-9 - the Heir of Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn made into movies, with the original cast (including Harrison Ford, which would require an ungodly amount of money being thrown at him since last I checked he's intensely against ever reprising Han) returning - will never come to be, so unless Disney manages to somehow pull that off I'm going to be hugely disappointed anyway. But even so... with the exception of Wall-E, I can't think of a really, really good sci fi movie Disney's made since the early '90s.

Still, it sounds like they might be letting it remain entirely in-house at LucasFilms, like they've pretty much been doing with Marvel, so there's a chance for something decent. I'm just really, really bothered that they already have a release date set for 7... something about it strikes me as off.

I dunno about that. Post-Disney, we got Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3, all of which were amazing. I would also say that Brave was amazing as well, though you obviously disagree with me there. But all those movies were extremely well-received by audiences and critics alike.

Obviously I don't know what goes on in the studio, but I was just sort of under the impression that those were already in the pipe. You're probably right though, I have just always been a little biased towards Disney since on their main channel they made the switch from what I felt was more quality cartoon programming to these (seemingly endless) live-action programs e.g. Hannah Montana, High School Musical, blah blah blah. I suppose it was a convenient explanation really for, what seems to me, to be a sag in quality from Pixar. But I just felt like something weird was going on when Pixar went from completely original titles like the ones you mentioned, to all of these sequels and remakes, and a tale of a scottish lass when one of a scottish lad just came out prior (talking about How to Train your Dragon). It just seemed like the newer ones were closer to Disney's 3D animated films like Chicken Little and such which I thought were significantly lower in quality than Pixar's releases. I will say though, I thought Tangled was really good.

As far as Tron: Legacy goes, I honestly didn't enjoy it though it's obvious I'm in the minority there, and I'm really not that hyped for Wreck-It Ralph.

I guess I just absorbed too much mob mentality. My bad :P

But, Star Wars could end up being a good thing, so I'll just keep a button on my lip until things transpire.