Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion - Star Wars: Ep. 7 for 2015

Liontamer

I can say that right now, I honestly don't care. I am over episodes 1-3, and I still enjoy the hell out of 4, 5, and 6. IMO this is just not something to get worked up over, because it seems inevitable that the stuff we love is getting treated pretty badly when people revisit it. Very few exceptions, and some of you will list things to me, and I will probably say I didn't like them either.

That being said, getting worked up about it is not at all something I feel, because I've already decided to let pretty much most of the Star Wars (and many other childhood franchises I care about) go, because at least the things I do love will always be there to watch again. They aren't the holy grail, they are movies that we love, and if I know anything about people and our trends, we beat horses to death, we just do that.

I don't think Disney is the worst choice, it's an odd choice, but not the worst for Star Wars... It's odd that Lucas would give away Star Wars in general to anyone for $$$. But maybe he realized that he really fucked it up and just doesn't wanna have his hands in it, and maybe he thought it would be safest with Disney, who knows.

Quoted for truth.

Honestly, I accepted long ago that what I truly long to see happen for Episodes 7-9 - the Heir of Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn made into movies, with the original cast (including Harrison Ford, which would require an ungodly amount of money being thrown at him since last I checked he's intensely against ever reprising Han) returning - will never come to be, so unless Disney manages to somehow pull that off I'm going to be hugely disappointed anyway. But even so... with the exception of Wall-E, I can't think of a really, really good sci fi movie Disney's made since the early '90s.

Still, it sounds like they might be letting it remain entirely in-house at LucasFilms, like they've pretty much been doing with Marvel, so there's a chance for something decent. I'm just really, really bothered that they already have a release date set for 7... something about it strikes me as off.

how can you not understand lucasarts is still making the movie -_-

just like pixar still makes their own movies, and marvel clearly makes their own movies. disney is NOT the ea of moviemakers because when they buy studios they're like 'okay go do what you're good at and make money for us' instead of being like 'okay so take all of your history, shit on it and make me a call of duty game'

This feels oddly fitting. I can imagine something worth a movie ticket coming out of this. Let's face it, they will never make the Star Wars sequel like they "should have". I'd much rather see them take the Star Wars mythos in another direction, kind of like what Bioware did with Knights of the Old Republic. But I doubt that'll happen either.

Also if Disney is EA then Lucasfilm is Bioware. So then all of this should work to bring us a really controversial ending everyone will have really strong feelings about! Then they will remake that ending because the internet told them too.

just like pixar still makes their own movies, and marvel clearly makes their own movies. disney is NOT the ea of moviemakers because when they buy studios they're like 'okay go do what you're good at and make money for us' instead of being like 'okay so take all of your history, shit on it and make me a call of duty game'

^^^

All this, pretty much.

LucasFilm will still make the next Star Wars film, and the two following it. The main difference is that George Lucas will not be in full creative control of what happens. He will be a creative consultant, which probably means he won't do all the writing and definitely won't be directing.

Which I think given how stilted the writing was in the prequel trilogy, that's probably a good thing. I like that Lucas is still going to work as an idea man, but having an editor or two to reel him in might help return the series to a better place.

Still, it sounds like they might be letting it remain entirely in-house at LucasFilms, like they've pretty much been doing with Marvel, so there's a chance for something decent. I'm just really, really bothered that they already have a release date set for 7... something about it strikes me as off.

Clearly, I do understand that it's most likely going to be entirely in-house. That doesn't mean that I'm also blindly accepting that there isn't going to be a staff shake-up (whether because Disney intervenes (which I doubt), the new prez changes things up, or people simply decide that now's as good a time to jump ship as any) of some kind over at LucasFilms, or that Disney might deviate from their practice of allowing studios to run themselves for the most part. Until more time has passed, we can't know for sure. Do I think either of those will happen? Not really. I honestly do believe that Disney will treat the Lucas properties like they've treated Marvel, and if they do, I'll have no beef with them. But it's impossible to know for sure based off of one press release (which is basically what it was) within 24 hours of the event. Again, if Disney treats LucasFilm/Arts like they've treated their other purchases (Pixar, Marvel) then I won't have any issue with them.

If you notice, the majority of my post wasn't accusing Disney of messing up the series (although I did point out that Disney's sci fi movies tend to be bad, I will admit), it was me pointing out that most of the story options in-canon that are worth exploring (Thrawn trilogy being, in my mind, the best of them) are going to be hard for them to pull off, because it HAS been 20 years and the actors show their age, and because Harrison Ford has multiple times said he wouldn't play Han Solo again.

You're right on the second half. But you can't deny that Disney seems to be going on a bit of a "let's buy up other studios" tear lately, which EA has (unfortunately) been doing a lot of too. Which is the only part of EA's practices I was comparing it to.

This is as if halo was sold to nintendo.

Don't get me wrong, disney do well enough. Pirates of the Caribbean had a good thing going for about 2 films, then it just milked everything to shit. I predict that 1 great movie will come out of this. Then 2 more shitty ones, and everyone will cry, and want to slaughter disney for "ruining" star wars. I mean, the star wars fandom is some of the pickiest i've seen. Granted, George Lucas has made some rather shitty decisions but the star wars fandom feels SO STRONGLY about the NOOOOOs and the Greedo shot first's and the JAR JAR IN RotJ etc that I feel anything Disney do will be seen as traitorous to the star wars legacy, PARTICULARLY since they'll be fucking around with the main film series.

This can only end badly.

i dunno, disney bought marvel and those movies have been pretty good.

Disney is letting Marvel chart its own course for the most part. So far, that's worked out well, considering how well The Avengers did.

And this is precisely why this news has me more excited than anything I've seen come out of the Star Wars franchise in a few years. In fact, it's brought my interest back into Star Wars.

Disney is letting Marvel chart its own course for the most part. So far, that's worked out well, considering how well The Avengers did.

And this is precisely why this news has me more excited than anything I've seen come out of the Star Wars franchise in a few years. In fact, it's brought my interest back into Star Wars.

exactly :D

I think Disney will be true to Star Wars like they were to The Avengers and the Marvel properties and that'll probably be better than whatever Lucasfilm would have done, sounds bad but it's probably true. :/

I heard they were still letting Lucasfilm take the helm much in the same way as they did for the Avenger series of movies.

Don't get me wrong, disney do well enough. Pirates of the Caribbean had a good thing going for about 2 films, then it just milked everything to shit. I predict that 1 great movie will come out of this. Then 2 more shitty ones, and everyone will cry, and want to slaughter disney for "ruining" star wars. I mean, the star wars fandom is some of the pickiest i've seen. Granted, George Lucas has made some rather shitty decisions but the star wars fandom feels SO STRONGLY about the NOOOOOs and the Greedo shot first's and the JAR JAR IN RotJ etc that I feel anything Disney do will be seen as traitorous to the star wars legacy, PARTICULARLY since they'll be fucking around with the main film series.

This can only end badly.

That's not true though. I mean the prequels are relatively old; there has been a lot of Star Wars material that's come out since Revenge of the Sith that has been excellent, such as in comics and novels. There are people out there working on Star Wars that care about and understand what's good about Star Wars.

I think that at this point, the only real problem is the two decades worth of Expanded Universe material. The 50 or so years after Return of the Jedi is pretty thoroughly documented in novels and comics, and Star Wars Legacy (a long running comic book series) covered a time period even further down the line (about 130 years after the Battle of Yavin). Even if they pick a sweet spot like 80 years after the original trilogy, they still have to explain a lot of things like the Vong War and all that messy stuff.

There may be a significant fork in continuity with this new trilogy, which, honestly, would be really refreshing. The books did a lot of interesting things, but there were a lot of developments that I just wasn't a fan of; plus there's just so much that's happened that sometimes it's hard to keep everything straight. A clean-post-RotJ-slate might be just what the EU needs.

i hope they just pick up and option something awesome and self-contained, like the thrawn trilogy. slice out some of the garbage and you've got a pre-made three-movie set with the ability to have another two in the duology. it lets them develop new characters for future movies in mara, pellaeon, the noghri, and karrde, it introduces a whole new side to the universe for a lot of people...there's a lot to like there.

they could also go the safe route and do something like the Truce at Bakura, I Jedi, or any number of *freaking awesome* solo books. or go with the x-wing or wraith squadron novels, all of which are basically pre-made for episodic release.

i would be surprised if they rebooted the series, particularly with the enormous amount of effort and development that the Unifying Force series, legacy of the force, and especially the fate of the jedi series. there's just too much material there, and half of it is recent within the last 4-6 years.

Not really. Lucasfilm and Disney have had a strong partnership for many years. If I'd been asked what company Lucas would be willing to sell his pride and joy to, Disney would've been my first guess.

Personally, with the Star Wars EU post-RotJ pretty fleshed out, it would be cool if the new movies were actually prequels, taking place during the Old Republic. I guess we'll see.

i hope they just pick up and option something awesome and self-contained, like the thrawn trilogy. slice out some of the garbage and you've got a pre-made three-movie set with the ability to have another two in the duology. it lets them develop new characters for future movies in mara, pellaeon, the noghri, and karrde, it introduces a whole new side to the universe for a lot of people...there's a lot to like there.

they could also go the safe route and do something like the Truce at Bakura, I Jedi, or any number of *freaking awesome* solo books. or go with the x-wing or wraith squadron novels, all of which are basically pre-made for episodic release.

i would be surprised if they rebooted the series, particularly with the enormous amount of effort and development that the Unifying Force series, legacy of the force, and especially the fate of the jedi series. there's just too much material there, and half of it is recent within the last 4-6 years.

That's exactly the problem though. There's too much material. There is far too much that takes place in the 50 or so years after Yavin. There are a TON of people out there who are fans of Star Wars that have zero interest in the Expanded Universe; you can't market a movie to these people when they have to learn all of this crap about the Jaina being the Sword of the Jedi and Jacen becoming Darth Caedus. Try explaining the Vong War to someone who has only seen the two trilogies, or to a kid that watches Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. It's all too complicated to easily convey in the opening crawl of Episode VII.

If they're going to keep all of the EU material, they have to set the new trilogy in a significantly later time period where much of what happened in post-OT material is largely irrelevant, like maybe 200-1000 years later.

Oh, and people really should give up on the Thrawn Trilogy being the template for the new movies; they take place only 5 years after Return of the Jedi, a movie that was made nearly 29 years ago. All of the principal actors are much, much older.

Random thoughts:

**Read Death Star PR's statement >> http://deathstarpr.com/2012/11/what-does-disneys-acquisition-of-lucasfilm-mean-for-the-galactic-empire/

**this...

Disney-Princess-Leia.jpeg

*(from co-worker) Unless you've got $5B to buy it from Disney, quit your b.......

*I'm looking forward to Iron Man trying to turn Darth Kermit the Frog back to the light side of the Force in the straight-to-video, soon-to-be Pixar classic "Tinkerbell Visits Fraggle Rock 2 ft. Axel Foley" (narrated by Mary Alice Young)

*IF you're mad now, wait till Overclocked ReMix is sold for $300,000 and a box of E.L. Fudge.

*Kidding aside, it'll be fine. Promise. : )

That's exactly the problem though. There's too much material. There is far too much that takes place in the 50 or so years after Yavin. There are a TON of people out there who are fans of Star Wars that have zero interest in the Expanded Universe; you can't market a movie to these people when they have to learn all of this crap about the Jaina being the Sword of the Jedi and Jacen becoming Darth Caedus. Try explaining the Vong War to someone who has only seen the two trilogies, or to a kid that watches Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. It's all too complicated to easily convey in the opening crawl of Episode VII.

If they're going to keep all of the EU material, they have to set the new trilogy in a significantly later time period where much of what happened in post-OT material is largely irrelevant, like maybe 200-1000 years later.

Oh, and people really should give up on the Thrawn Trilogy being the template for the new movies; they take place only 5 years after Return of the Jedi, a movie that was made nearly 29 years ago. All of the principal actors are much, much older.

i'm agreeing with your point, not going around it. that's why i think that either an existing trilogy close to ROTJ - like the thrawn trilogy or (to a lesser extent) jedi academy or the x-wing series - or a few books immediately following the end of ROTJ, like Courtship of Princess Leia, Bakura, or I Jedi - would be awesome picks. they're still SW as we know it, they introduce some baseline characters that can be worked with in other movies to provide a transitional point between the old and the new and the newer, and they've still got recognizable symbols - the Empire, the Rebels/Republic, all the main characters, etc - that are easy to pick up on without losing anything big.

you can't go too far into the EU before you start hitting the wall, but there's a lot of content right after the fall of the empire that would be worthwhile to get into. as much as i'd love to see the corellian trilogy or the black fleet crisis in-film (and black fleet is perfect if you want a rawer, more adult set of films), it's never, ever going to happen.

i know they're going to pull a Star Trek and spin off in some new direction, complete with children's books and action figures, but i can hope, can't i?