Streets of Rage 2-Alien Power Halloween Remix

Garpocalypse

Happy Halloween OCR!

Just thought I would post the most recent version of what was to be my entry for Remixing with the Stars for this month. Got sidetracked by mid terms. :(

For this one I used:

Dimension Pro

Rapture

Resident Evil 2 Monster sound clips

Ministry of Rock

I'm working on a more OCR friendly sound so let me know what you think!

Special Thanks to Syllix who was great about helping me keep the right frame of mind after a tiring couple weeks of tests and work, and providing me with a near complete book of mixing advice.

Remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyvS_Gt6RRw&feature=channel&list=UL

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mfz75gux8i74yf2

Source:

Bonus Points: To anyone who can guess what was going through my head for the last minute of the remix!

As much as i love to cut and explode wide I think Dafydd had a far better one on his entry.

Sandy ended up coming through here while I was finishing this thing up and i was worried i would lose power at any second. So, in order to make sure the appropriate amount of rage came across in the mix I periodically ran up on top of my roof, faced the wind and the rain, shook my fist at the heavens, and screamed "YOU CALL THIS A STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??!!!"

:<

Heh, that lead sounds awfully familiar ;-)

Not much to say, I think it sounds good, aside from the noise/glitch that doesn't really add much imo.

What's that dinosaur burp sound at the end? I mean, what's it supposed to sound like? :lol:

Halloween... Theramin... I was hoping everyone was going to think that using that instrument was cliche so that it would end up with me being the only one having it. :)

The last lead was one i made with dimension pro awhile ago. It was supposed to sound really nervous so i boosted 2k throughout most of that faux solo at the end.

The glitch was supposed to represent a reflection. I was planning on having slight panning adjustments then reversing them each time it glitched to give the impression of things being a little backwards. Didn't work.

Monster Sounds were slightly edited Resident Evil 2 clips. Monster pounces. Remix over.

• 4 weeks later...

Disgusting, disharmonious, disastrous source. There aren't a lot of sources I hate, but this one is probably one of those. The source is clearly in the remix, and a lot more tolerable there. So nice work with that. :P

The 1:39 melody bothers me. I get that it might be intentional and that the overall sound should be a bit crushed and distorted, but that one stands out. The guitar isn't that great either, but it suits the sound.

Lows and low mids seem a bit thick. You could probably separate your bass from the bass drum and give them both a little more power instead.

I like the static effects. First one sounded like a happy accident, then the next few reveal it's intentional.

Cool groove, cool track. It's always hard to judge tracks that are intentionally distorted and glitchy and otherwise destroyed-y. I'd say this would fit ocr just as well as any of the posted, similarly crushed tracks. Source is there, the track is pretty cool, just some production edits and this should be ready for the judges. nice work. :D

PRODUCTION

- Low-quality samples

- Drums have no energy - they add some rhythm to the track, which might be enough... depends on what you want them to do

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - lows are a bit cluttered. You can get the track a bit louder if you clean up the lows.

Hey Roz thanks for the crits.

I was rushing to get this thing done and i made some really bad calls that i hope wouldn't have been noticed so easily. For one, I grouped all my drums together in one track and processed them together. ...whoops. But i didn't have the time to record each part individually.:wink:

I'm going to redo a few things and send it off to the judges in time for next years halloween.

Alien power. While I don't share Rozo's antipathy towards this source, I actually rather like it. At the same time I do think that it is an extremely hard source to remix. There was a cool electro house take on it posted here a while back, but I don't think that that version ever got finished.

So, onto what we have here.

- The main drawback of this mix at this point is arrangement. I don't think there is enough of it here. I do have to give you props for slightly altering the bassline from the original - many remixers lazily keep whatever was used in the original. You also have some interesting ideas going from 1:00 to 1:30. But before 1:00, it is a pretty straight forward cover of the original, with a slightly altered bass. After 1:30, it becomes hard to tell what is the source for this remix, at times I even hear EWJ 2's "Everything but Tangerines" moreso than Alien Power. In other words, after 1:30 there is not enough that explicitly ties the remix to the source, and this will be an issue with the judges.

- Production can definitely be improved. I would especially recommend getting a more punchy electronic kick and sidechaining it. This will add some pump to your mix and make it sound more energetic.

Good start! I will be looking forward to hearing an update whenever you get around to it!

Thanks Ambient.

That second section is a huge problem i know. I rode the small distorted bass part in the source to the end and hoped that was going to be recognized well enough to allow me to improvise over it. Now i see that it wasn't. :(

I have a pile of remixes i'm working on fixes for so i hope to crack this one open again at some point. I guess if i can get it submitted in the next month or two i should just barely make the posting for Halloween 2016 right?

Kidding. :)!!