OCR02522 - Super Mario World "Through the Castle"

djpretzel

Congrats on getting posted Rockos.

As to the mix, it's definitely an interesting take on the source - I don't think I've ever heard anything vaguely like it. The reverb actually didn't bother me in the slightest; it felt like it fit in with the overall tone of the track's direction. In fact, I'd almost say I think I'd enjoy the track less if it had less reverb - almost makes the character of the track.

Congrats on getting posted Rockos.

As to the mix, it's definitely an interesting take on the source - I don't think I've ever heard anything vaguely like it. The reverb actually didn't bother me in the slightest; it felt like it fit in with the overall tone of the track's direction. In fact, I'd almost say I think I'd enjoy the track less if it had less reverb - almost makes the character of the track.

This is a really weird ,creepy and SUPREMELY AWESOME remix.

The source melodies feel very recognizeable immediately and that helps to make this incredibly enjoyable!

Thanks a lot guys.

As someone who's not really a musician, I'd like to add in that this is one of the most "listenable" dubstep songs I've ever heard. From my sound engineering course, I have enough ear and knowledge that I can hear the high compression, and anyone could hear that reverb abuse. While we could probably argue on the compression front, the reverb is used well here.

Sometimes when I read the judge's comments, I feel that they're so into 'music' that they forget about listenability, although frequently this is why I like djp's write ups-he brings it down back to earth.

Congratz to Rockos on mixing Mario with dubstep successfully!

Congrats on your mixpost Rockos! You sure love your dubstep :razz: .

This source seems to get a fair amount of love. This mix reminds me a bit like Monstrous Turtles!, except with a dubstep angle to it. It's a fairly conservative song, and it injects the dubstep tastefully. I do wish that drop was more potent though, it could use some more bass to really give its full effect. I'm not a huge fan of the ending either.

Otherwise, great job!

When I see a game that I'm interested in hearing a remix post on the mainpage, I get excited, though it seems lately all the remixes are really far off from the source to the point where I don't even know what the hell I'm listening to.

This however has definitely left the source intact, I know what song you derived this dubstep beat from and I like it. (and I don't even like dubstep 90% of the time)

Well done, Rockos.

Monstrous Turtles is one of my all-time favourite OCReMixes, but this stands up there alongside that track, so great job on that. I always feel like if you remix a source that's already been remixed it's a risk to be compared to others, but this is superb.

No problems with the reverb and compression - they're staples of the genre, and I agree with Melbu that I'd probably enjoy it less if it didn't have as much. Congratulations on your first mixpost, and let's hope there are more like this!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The dubstep-like variations and glitching up of the melody makes this arrangement interesting to listen to. Rockos did a fine job of reworking the source into something different while keeping the dark spirit of the castles intact, which is great. Not bad for a debut mixpost.

• 1 year later...

I think that because of the popularity of dubstep and Sub Castle theme from SMW, these things had to meet someday, and I'm actually glad that it was Rockos who blended them - he knows for sure how to wub the things up a bit :) The reinterpritation may be straightforward a little, but with all the gritty bass twists and other stuff, it sounds awesome. Nice job here!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02522 - Super Mario World "Through the Castle"