Cave Story - Last Battle [Electro House Remix]

Here is my remix of the "Last Battle" theme from Cave Story. I'm kind of concerned as to if I used enough of the source material, but I DID make the most prominent part of the song - to me - the chorus, so who knows. I feel like I strayed from the mood of the original in places, but I suppose that's okay.

I was told my sub bass is muddy. I feel like my kick is bleugh as well. I don't plan on fixing this up any more than I already tried, because believe me I tried for a while, but I would like to know the production skills to truly take my production to the next level for the future.

I was told my sub bass is muddy. I feel like my kick is bleugh as well. I don't plan on fixing this up any more than I already tried, because believe me I tried for a while, but I would like to know the production skills to truly take my production to the next level for the future.

Neat stuff, i'll post some thoughts:

- I have a LOT of experience with the originals, honestly - but I can definitely tell that this is the last battle theme. I like that you put a lot of uniqueness into the track itself, it's definitely been very thoroughly remixed. Nice.

- There are definitely some sample issues about, your kick could use some work, the drum patterns in general feel like they hold the track back. Your synthwork is rock solid, but the drums feel very patterned in and generic. Going through and custom tailoring some bits would really help the track out in that respect.

- The first minute of the track is the weakest in my opinion - I really don't think its bad, but it feels kinda hollow and empty, I'd love to see some background pads or something of that nature.

- Your breakdown that starts at like 2:10 is the best part for me, that whole segment has an awesome building sensation and is really where the drums work the best. Nice. Even continuing on at like 2:50+ is really, really cool. Very creative to handle that part of the track.

- Towards the ending, I start to get bored - things loop a little too often to my liking without enough changing. I'd consider shortening it up or redoing the ending to some extent. Maybe a more epic climax or something like that.

Not bad at all, I do have some issues with the track, but awesome way to redo the original. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the feedback! Any tips on how to make a great kick? Mine always seem to fall short :I

Kick, eh?

Ok, so for one thing, don't use the generic FL kick. It is teh sucky. You'll be better off finding kicks from sample packs. Even if you want to keep the FL kick, you will probably want to use multiple samples in the same kick (to give it a "fuller" sound). You might also want to work on sidechaining as well, to give the kick more presence, if you don't do that already.

Also, you might want to consider adding in a "airy" snare in the kick sample, but at low volume, to give the kick a higher presence.

Ohh dude that drop at 1:15 and the following section is just insane - love it!

Not much of an issue with the bass for me, although YouTube's encoding isn't the best - you got a link to a soundcloud or tindeck upload?

I think the weakest part of this remix is the lead choice for the main melody - it's just not working for me somehow. It seems to lack energy compared to the rest of the mix, could be the levels of detune on it, but personally I'd go for something a bit more "squeaky" with a lot of cutoff modulation. Choosing leads is hard :<

Pretty sick stuff though, very nice!

This is decidedly awesome. It's lacking here and there, but you've got a really solid foundation. I'd give you a few arrangement tips but it looks like you're mostly asking just for production advice, and I have little/no experience on that front.

What I do notice:

Bass is too loud in the first section in contrast with the rest of the mix. When things cut out, it correspondingly sounds MUCH more empty than it would if you were to reduce the levels of your (saw?) bass line, until things pick up ~0:15.

The interesting arpeggios at 1:00 could be brought out and bit and the mid/highs boosted.

GOOM GRAMPS <3

Snare after the 'drop' could hit a little harder. It could probably use some reverb, too.

2:32 is a nice balance between everything.

Things get muddy with the choir beginning around 2:48. I can't pinpoint what's up though, sorry man.

The cymbal hits clash with JonTron before the second drop. His vocals need to be brought to the fore, the cymbal lowered (or possibly just removed... it's a little boring).

Anyway. Good stuff.