Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant Zone + Speed Highway ( Undecided Name )

FaytxStay

Wanted to try something that hasn't been done before. Ironic, considering that this is Chemical Plant Zone.

Just started this a few days ago.

Wanted to make something that you could tap your feet to.

Still needs a lot of work.

Can't find that lead I'm looking for, so I left it out.

Having a lot of fun working on this, but still have to make an ending that isn't a cheap fade-out like I've done before.

Gonna EQ more tonight. Tell me what you think for starters. :D

Edit: Ignore that bit after 2:15. That was unintentionally left it as I'll be using that as a bridge, later on.

Demo:

stats.png

Source:

Edited by FaytxStay

• 3 weeks later...

Between 0:32:00 - 0:34:00, there's a high tone instrument playing a high note and one few notes lower, however, these sound false. I believe the second note to be lower originally. I think it should be about 1 or 2 notes lower. Note that I'm not a music expert in terms of creation, I merely enjoy works of others, so my terminology isn't the best.

However, I did most certainly enjoy this remix. Taking a different approach than others is always a good idea, and you turned that idea in a good result. I believe, in addition to the above, it does require some finetuning. I'm not sure whether you used the original or recreated parts of Speed Highway, they sound like the original - if you did recreate them, you did an extraordinary job at it. I do suggest to rethink certain parts where both songs are mixed, especially those where the beats don't always match up. Some parts don't feel right like that. Perhaps some Speed Highway could be recreated in the style of the Chemical Plant riff, mixed in in a different way than the 'overlay' style used now. That's just an idea, though, I'm not sure how to work that one out. As for the rest of the song, I did miss Speed Highway single parts, whereas you did gave Chemical Plant some alone time. EDIT: Ah, at the end there was some Speed Highway alone, without Chemical Plant. Ignore what I said, I just missed that >.<.

Perhaps my words are of use to you, I really hope this critic can contribute to the song. It was a pleasure listening to this (and will continue to be, totally kept that mp3. x3)

Edited by Senzune

Mix is muddy - I can't hear the synths through the guitars.

Work with EQ, Volume, and Panning a little more to make sure everything sticks out. For instance I'd drop the guitar lower where its not prominant, and the chuggy rhythm guitar definitely needs to be brought down a lot as well (the distortion on it is the prominant reason its muddy imo).

Mix is muddy - I can't hear the synths through the guitars.

Work with EQ, Volume, and Panning a little more to make sure everything sticks out. For instance I'd drop the guitar lower where its not prominant, and the chuggy rhythm guitar definitely needs to be brought down a lot as well (the distortion on it is the prominant reason its muddy imo).

What he said. ^^

EQ and compressor are wonderful tools and I use both a whole bunch. I don't think I hardly ever go without at least somewhat EQing a track. If done right, you can turn down that guitar without losing any of sound. Same with the synth.

I also really think that the drums need to come out a billion times more. I'm a huge drum and beat fanatic, and when I can't hear the drums, it can frustrate me. :D I'd say do some compressing on it to pop it out and give it much more of a kick. And speaking of kick, really compress that kick to bring it out. Really want to hear that.

You played very well, though, and if the mix was really good, I think this would be a great remix. :)

• 3 weeks later...
You played very well, though, and if the mix was really good, I think this would be a great remix. :)

It WILL be! D:< Also, I just heard one song of yours and immediately subscribed. Other side of The Moon is beautiful! D':

I've read the tutorial part of the forums and refused to post an update until I completely understand EQ/Compression

I started working on my own song to practice EQ'ing and it's coming along great. I'll post it in the Originals section.

Anyways, I'll return to this once I learn more about instrument frequencies and stuff.

• 10 months later...