OCR01432 - Commander Keen V "Slick Rippin Keen"

djpretzel

I like it. The title describes the song well: it's very "slick". It has an old-school computer/video game vibe to it, without sacrificing sound quality.

I wouldn't say there is much original about it, nor did it seem to be long enough; but what was presented was entertaining. There's something about it that keeps it from being in my top ten list (and I don't really know what it is), but I still think it's a good remix.

088.jpg

Slick Rippin Keen- The beginning makes me think of Plant Man´s stage in MM6, eh. Once again, I have not played this game, but somehow I feel that you caught the spirit of the original track. This was a jumpy and funky remix, happy and hilarious in some ways, and comes with nice beats and wild synths too. And since this game is played in outer space, you added the alien feel to it, maybe it didn´t stood out much, but sometimes you could catch it within the synths.

Nice job with the front page there, djp. Assuming everybody has at least a 1024x768 resolution set up. Looks like ass to me now. :wink:

Anyhow, when this project was released, I mailed mazedude twenty bucks. That ought to be sufficient enough to say how I feel about this track, and the album in general. :]

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap. When this loaded in Winamp I thought DOSbox had spontaneously started up in the background and run Jazz Jackrabbit. XD

No, seriously. It's awesome, and would fit in perfectly in one of those awesome early-90s DOS shareware games. Absolutely brilliant job, Mazedude.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Woah, this source is awesome! Funky as hell and amazingly catchy.

The arrangement is completely stellar as well, with all kinds of counter point and precision panning and effects usage. The lofi feel to a lot of the samples makes it even funkier, and the variety in accompaniment is inspiring.

It seems like this gem was completely buried due to the source selection, but please PLEASE check this one out.

I give it 5 "slammin'"s out of 5.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

One wise man once said:

Trying to predict what Mazedude will do for any given mix is like playing the lottery, only your odds may in fact be worse.

And he's totally right. By the time I heard this one, I'd thought that Mazedude can't impress me anymore. Jazz, solo piano, chiptune, industrial, orchestral, I couldn't imagine something new. But it happend. This mix is so bouncy, I gotta say! A lot of craziness is going on here, that's true. But my most favorite part is that starts at 1:16, when only synths and quirky bass are left. I'm pretty satisfied with this piece, considering the fact that it was made nine years ago. But Chris' stuff is always classic, right?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01432 - Commander Keen V "Slick Rippin Keen"
  • 4 months later...