Vengeful Chip - A video game music collection in FLAC.

andoru

I started up this project because this is something that hasn't been done before. The goal of it is to collect as many game soundtracks from as many platforms (Lemmings as an example, we have it's complete soundtrack from 17 different ports), from the common IBM-PC, to the more exotic X68000, from common consoles like SNES to 3DO or PC-Engine.

You can see all the available soundtracks here:

http://vengefulchip.tk

Also I'm looking for some help, if you have a bit of time, please review this page, I'll be eternally grateful ^^

The most important things I would be looking at the moment is an Hoot expert or someone knowledgeable in it's drivers.

Another thing what I miss is proper hosting (to be able to offer direct download to the soundtracks, so anyone who could spare a VPS, or donate for me to buy one, would be great ^^;

Thanks for your time, and if I posted this in the wrong category on these forums, mods please feel free to move/remove the thread.

Also I have made a reddit community and a twitter account, so feel free to subscribe/follow those :)

YouTube Channel is here.

Notice: If you intend to use these recordings anywhere, please make sure to credit the original composers, and credit me or the site.

Edited by andoru

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Falcom often did this sort of thing with their games. The Japanese special edition of Ys: Oath in Felghana, for example, came with several disks which included the different versions of the soundtrack from a few different systems.

Thought it was weird at first, but after a while you really do start to appreciate the distinct sound of each piece of hardware.

Nice idea and site!

Thanks, that's very kind of you ^^

I'd kill for FLAC, looping versions of the JP Sonic CD soundtrack. Would. Kill. Seems hard to get, though. :o

I'm afraid I won't ever post that. I don't post CDDA source soundtracks unless the same game has ports for either the same console or other platforms and most of them have music generated through chips =)

And also I don't do requests without donations =P

Falcom often did this sort of thing with their games. The Japanese special edition of Ys: Oath in Felghana, for example, came with several disks which included the different versions of the soundtrack from a few different systems.

Thought it was weird at first, but after a while you really do start to appreciate the distinct sound of each piece of hardware.

Yes, the idea is similar to mine. You can really get to appreciate hearing the differences =)

In some cases one port might have a different composition altogether (staying true to the original though) and that really adds a twist to it =)

Or based off the different capabilities platforms had at the time you sometimes hear new instruments that enrich the tracks =D

It's really fun to record them and listen in detail to all the small differences.

• 1 month later...

Posted two more sets from recorded from real hardware thanks again to Stefan. Namely they are Lemmings 2 and Cannon Fodder for the Archimedes. Also fixed the MT-32 and GM sets for TIM2.

But as a main update I posted the full soundtrack of The Adventures of Willy Beamish. This one took me a while to finish...

I had to manually edit the FM recordings instead, since I couldn't loop the tracks in the FM player by NRS (Vogons forums). It was quite a hassle, but still better and easier than record in-game. ^^

If you notice anything wrong in the way the songs loop in the FM set, or if you happen to know how the songs are titled please let me know. Also let me know if any tracks in the FM set sound weird or not how they were supposed to (aside from the stereo FM that wasn’t available in-game).

Also, if you want to help and have a MT- or CM- series Roland modules (and some free time =P ), I uploaded the SMF and SysEx files, so you have half of the work done =D

Contact me beforehand though.

Also if you're posting or linking this somewhere, please link back to me and/or my site =)

Thanks.

Props for the Sierra extractor go to tikalat from Vogons forums.

Edited by andoru

• 3 weeks later...

Added Puyo Puyo Tsu to the releases with (almost) all it's ports ^^

I'm still having problems with the Windows 95 port of the game, which I can't figure out on which device it was supposed to work. If you have any knowledge of this, or have covers of the game (Win95 port) please let me know!

Oh, and before I forget, I added a GameGear set for the first PuyoPuyo and fixed the SNES set, so re-download it if you had downloaded that set in the past ^^

And I still need help with the Willy Beamish set, if anyone is interested ^^

• 3 weeks later...

That's not really a good start to show your support, but thanks!

I uploaded my stuff to MediaFire only in the beginning, after Mega was inaugurated I started uploading on that site, so now all uploads are available on Mega.

Also I think you got that campaign slogan wrong XD

Edited by andoru

• 2 months later...

Added the soundtracks for the following games:

Aerobiz / Air Management: Oozora no Kakeru (Mega Drive + SNES + PC-98 + X68000)

Supaplex (Amiga + IBM-PC AdLib + MT-32 + SoundBlaster Pro2 + PC-Speaker)

Jazz Jackrabbit (Original + Holiday Hare + CD Expansion)

Monkey Island (Amiga + FM-Towns + IBM-PC AdLib + GameBlaster + MT-32 + PC-Speaker + Macintosh II + Tandy)

Also I fixed many of the older sets, updated the tagging and fixed the MT-32 sets for the LSL series. Make sure you re-download them in case you downloaded them previously.

Edited by andoru

• 7 months later...

Been a while since I posted anything here, and in the meantime I worked on the following soundtracks:

Mad TV (IBM-PC AdLib + Amiga)

Detana! Twinbee (X68000 OPM + MT-32 + PC-Engine + Arcade)

Castlevania X68000 (OPM + MT-32)

Superfrog (Amiga only)

And today I added Loom (Amiga + IBM-PC AdLib + GameBlaster + MT-32 + PC-Speaker + PC-Engine/TurboGrafx16 + Macintosh II + Tandy).

Enjoy :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Cool idea, but Mega never finishes the downloads. It stops at 99% and then just sits there until you get tired of waiting and close the browser window. I've tried seven times to download the MT-32 version of the Castlevania X68000 music, with the seventh time sitting at 99% for over three hours while I did other work, before I gave up.

Am I the only one having this issue?

Cool idea,

but Mega never finishes the downloads. It stops at 99% and then just sits there until you get tired of waiting and close the browser window. I've tried seven times to download the MT-32 version of the Castlevania X68000 music, with the seventh time sitting at 99% for over three hours while I did other work, before I gave up.

Am I the only one having this issue?

Most likely yes. Have you tried to contact the guys at MEGA? They could help you solve the issue, but a few things you could try before contacting them:

What browser do you use and is it the latest version? Did you try to install their app/extension/add-on/whatever?

Here's their extension for Firefox, and for Chrome/Chromium.

These two also help a lot with reducing the CPU required when parsing/downloading/uploading stuff, and add some more security when uploading stuff :)

Let me know if it works.