Chrono Ark Soundtrack (OUT NOW)

RoeTaKa

Chrono Ark Soundtrack (A discontinued fan game)

CACover.jpg

Release Date Out Now

Chrono Ark on Bandcamp - Free or Pay What You Want!

Direct download available soon.

100 tracks, many original pieces and arrangements of songs from the Chrono games.

Nearly 4 hours of music!

Includes concept art and a small taste of the sprites.

Chrono Ark was a fan game being made by a small team of people that was going to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Unfortunately the team including myself have discontinued working on it for various reasons, mostly because we are all too busy with our lives and new work prospects. Now that we have moved on I can release the soundtrack I was making for it. I finished most of the soundtrack in 2009 and was adding to it here and there as time went on. Although I wasn't able to finish it, it is pretty much done and enough was completed for me to release it.

Chrono Ark was a story following a new cast of characters and a new protagonist, Arc. After a prologue that shows Crono and Marle during the events of the Guardia War and their fates uncertain, the game begins as Arc in his hometown of Choras. As Arc journeys with Maia to find his "sister" Lucca, they encounter the group Terra Eventus that wish to cleanse the world with the awakening of Lavos. They terrorize time with their goals but are fought against by the Time Protection Unit, a group that try to stop time intervention. This encounter causes Arc and Maia to become split in different time periods. Meeting new faces and characters from the Chrono games, they ultimately try to get back together. But their lives are changed when they discover what happens to time when it is changed, and inevitably try to stop a being known as Protovos.

I wish I could reveal more about what happened and what the game was about but it is not my decision to do so, The team wanted me to release my work which I'm really thankful for. To help understand more about the game each track has its use or general use in brackets and hopefully with the music you'll get a feel of where things were going. Our concept artist has agreed to include some of his newer art pieces and I included some of his older ones so you could see what some of the other characters looked like as well. He is also working on an art book which I will surely link when it is ready. And the sprite artist has let me show a little of her work too.

I've been pretty nervous about releasing this, but also excited. It was kind of the last thing I did before taking a massive break in music until last year. I apologize if I got anyone excited about a game or something official, heck we all would love to hear about a new Chrono game.

Please enjoy the soundtrack and let people know about it!

Edited by RoeTaKa

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind words and hopefully haven't annoyed anyone about the possibility of a new game. Truth is I'd love to see it happen but it's just been difficult tying people to the project, but I want people to enjoy something from it at least.

Unfortunately I have to postpone the soundtrack release until some point in January. The games artist has said he will do some more art just for it which is exciting and he deserves attention. And then I hope to get a site done for it with a proper release trailer, if things work out. I just want to make it the best it can possibly be.

So when it is released it should have a nice amount of art to glance over and sprites.

Have good holidays and I'll update some point in January!

Edited by RoeTaKa

• 4 weeks later...
so, even though this game was discontinued, does the music you guys made count as "original" enough to be remixed for this site? i doubt i would, but its an interesting thought.

Although that's a really nice thought there is no released game to attach it to. So I really just consider it as an album like any other but just based on the idea that it was for a game.

Doesn't really help that it's an unfinished soundtrack due to changes in script, the discontinuing of the game and general lack of time to dedicate to it now. I could easily imagine it needing around 20 more songs before it was considered a full thing, but I will never know now and I really just want people to see and hear something to say it existed and get some closure from it

Pending on a few things I should be releasing this within a week.

• 2 weeks later...

There is now a release date. The Chrono Ark soundtrack will be released on the 31st of January! With only a couple of days to go I've made a trailer for some of the music:

I'm bad at making videos but wanted to do something haha, I wanted to announce earlier but really wanted to show something before hand. Enjoy the video and hopefully you'll look forward to the release in two days!

I hope the others paying attention to this thread will give you your due, because this is impressive. Maybe they're waiting to actually get through the whole thing - this is an intimidating collection at 100 tracks and almost four hours! I won't manage to listen to it all before the weekend, but here are some of my impressions so far.

From the original music side of things, Destined to be Immortal is a fitting boss theme (and not just because of the Dalton allusion). It sounds very much like the unused second "generic battle" theme from CT. Gentle Timberland sounds like an homage to the forest music of CT, but with some Xenogears influence. Social Breeze reminds me a lot of

but I couldn't describe why. Time Protection Unit is another good one although it sounds like another boss battle, not a character theme. Finally, it's tough to separate the beloved memories of the CT soundtrack from your remixed tracks, but you did a beautiful job with the instrumentation on Unyielding Promise.

Nice job! :nicework:

Chrono Ark on Bandcamp - Free or Pay What You Want!

Chrono Ark is released now! I'm stupidly nervous about this so I'm going to drink some tea and chill out for a while. I really hope people enjoy the music and spread it around if you think it's good!

Why aren't more people commenting on this thread? This is amazing work! I haven't made it through all of the tracks, but the ones I did listen to (up through 31. Our Promise) impressed me enough to purchase the album. Listening to the album makes me want to play the game. Any chance that development will resume?

Thanks guys, I am humbled by the positive reactions from various places and feel really good about how well it has been doing. I didn't expect many people to comment because there is a lot to take in and it has only been a couple of days so far. As long as people are enjoying it that's fine by me haha.

Listening to the album makes me want to play the game. Any chance that development will resume?

I'm afraid it almost definitely will not pick up again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...