OCR02527 - Bayonetta & After Burner III (Sega CD) "Lady in Black"

djpretzel

I really hope this is the beginning of a flood of afterburner remixes >.><.<

As a fan of the soundtrack nothing you did could of disappointed me. (seriously, to me its a pure joy just to listen to.)

I think the saxophone part might annoy other remixers that it was allowed to be posted.

But to a nonmusician like myself i don't mind it and feel it helps contribute to the atmosphere of the track.

I think DJ mystix might want to write a new sax solo just incase.(there are many remixers that are talented on the saxophone, xenon and protodome come to mind)

I'm sure he has the talent and this track is proof of that talent.

More afterburner please.

It's odd to be posting a mix where I have a significant reservation that relates so directly to our standards; the obvious question would be, why didn't we just reject it on these grounds? Like I said, this is a subjective, roll-of-the-dice sort of issue where that could easily have happened, but at the same time we want artists to have freedom to follow their inspiration where it leads them. However, OCR is 110% a site for VGM arrangements, and we absolutely aim to protect the purity of that concept as much as possible. So we're posting this mix, and I personally dig it quite a bit, but we're simultaneously asking Mansoor and all other artists to please AVOID incorporating non-VGM sources. Hopefully this ReMix will serve as a further clarification of our policy while also making a lot of Bayonetta & Afterburner fans very happy :)

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment that it might have needed to be rejected.

As someone who's played the game all the way through the music is a shining star. It is a top notch set of remixed music in its own right from the opening 'Fly me to the Moon' to the closing 'Lets Dance Boys' The saxaphone usage in this game's music is SIGNATURE and some of the best work i've ever heard for the instrument. To not use such a critical component of what drove the songs in this game would have been CRIMINAL. This is a great job of remixing the song. I'm hopeful though someone's gonna take a crack at one of the more iconic tracks.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment that it might have needed to be rejected.

As someone who's played the game all the way through the music is a shining star. It is a top notch set of remixed music in its own right from the opening 'Fly me to the Moon' to the closing 'Lets Dance Boys' The saxaphone usage in this game's music is SIGNATURE and some of the best work i've ever heard for the instrument. To not use such a critical component of what drove the songs in this game would have been CRIMINAL. This is a great job of remixing the song. I'm hopeful though someone's gonna take a crack at one of the more iconic tracks.

A rejection would have had everything to do with the use of un-original, non-source material and nothing to do with musical quality, so I'm not sure what your up in arms about. Did you read djp's words?

A rejection would have had everything to do with the use of un-original, non-source material and nothing to do with musical quality, so I'm not sure what your up in arms about. Did you read djp's words?

Yeah, he didn't read it. The standards-related issue was the incorporation of a non-VGM song, and that was the only issue on that level.

• 11 months later...

Policy issue aside (those weighing in on this had their work cut out for'em), the ReMix itself is pretty damn good in my opinion. Love the flute and sax work here and the whole song makes for an awesome addition to the downbeat/smooth jazz genres. Not bad at all.

Edited by Crulex

Yeah, he didn't read it. The standards-related issue was the incorporation of a non-VGM song, and that was the only issue on that level.

Long time to respond but i forgot all about this topic. Finally saw it on the top of the remix review pile so i'll get to it.

Actually the problem i have with that is the fact that the primary song nay the SIGNATURE song of the soundtrack isnt a 'VGM' song. (Fly Me To The Moon)

That and close if not a bit over 50% of the game's soundtrack included flat out remixed/updated songs from other Sega Games. Hell as you're about to begin the final area of the game Bayonetta 4th wall breaks with Fantasy Zone. And you can hear it throughout the soundtrack.

The Content and intent of the game's music matters imo in a situation like what was outlined. When a game goes THAT route i feel remixer needs to have the freedom to do what the people who made the music originally did.

• 10 months later...
The Content and intent of the game's music matters imo in a situation like what was outlined. When a game goes THAT route i feel remixer needs to have the freedom to do what the people who made the music originally did.

If it's arranging music written for games, then yes. If not, then no. :lol: We're a video game music site, not a "Fly Me to the Moon" arrangement site. We've had the Tetris/Frogger folk music exceptions, yes, but allowing mainstream music arrangements at this stage isn't what we're about, no matter how awesome the execution is. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02527 - Bayonetta & After Burner III (Sega CD) "Lady in Black"