Genres of Music You Do

Even after 2 years of using FL I feel like I'm fighting with the program. It's not intelligently designed, but it works well once you pin down the 1,647 quirks. "Quirks" being a euphemism for "stupid design choices."

Wait WAIT. This thread isn't about DAWs. Nebby, you fooled us again!

I dunno, I've used FL for only a year and 7 months, and I've created this short song two days ago using patches I designed on Zebra2: https://www.box.com/s/uhzb3h309fcxnc4eg01q

I guess it just depends on the person, but FL is rather simple to use for the most part. I just had to gather the right tools, like spectral analyzers, badass limiters, and flexible/all-around synthesis VSTs. IMO, being able to work well with a spectral analyzer to give your music dynamic contrast is a huge step up from less-than-adequate mixing.

Doing the same in Reaper will give you far more options.

Like what? You're quantizing, not using a modulation matrix. What 'options' are you expecting? I personally rarely quantize. I only do so when I play parts in live for specifically a video game OST or similar where instruments are expected to play in perfect rhythm. Otherwise I usually either play it in live and leave it, or sequence it in because I like doing it like that.

I dunno, I've used FL for only a year and 7 months, and I've created this short song two days ago using patches I designed on Zebra2: https://www.box.com/s/uhzb3h309fcxnc4eg01q

I guess it just depends on the person, but FL is rather simple to use for the most part. I just had to gather the right tools, like spectral analyzers, badass limiters, and flexible/all-around synthesis VSTs. IMO, being able to work well with a spectral analyzer to give your music dynamic contrast is a huge step up from less-than-adequate mixing.

Well, to me it seems that FL has several different learning curves. I really like a DAW that is powerful and complex while at the same time doesn't require you to open the help file every five minutes or so. While FL is useful, it took me forever to try and figure out how to do automation clips, and even then I had to crack open the old help file on something that should, in theory, be relatively simple to work with.

Also, the right-click-to-delete function is a royal pain in the ass. Almost every other program uses right-click as an options menu, but no. FL uses it to delete shit. Why? Why was this chosen instead of, you know, the DEL key?

And I have yet to figure out how to do tempo and key signature changes in FL (not that I've been using it much, if at all).

To me, Mixcraft is a hell of a lot easier to use. Yes, there are some things that it does not have that other DAWs do (such as DAW-exclusive plugins that have DAW-specific functions such as IL Harmor and the multi-note portamento thing in FL, as well as sidechaining without external plugins), but there are some things that Mixcraft really has impressed me with, one being both the ease and complexity of MIDI editing. For one, right click doesn't delete shit ;-). You're able to use "advanced" humanization features, mass velocity editing (by % or hard-value), transposition, etc., which is stuff I have yet to find in FL. You can also edit individual MIDI notes by adjusting their duration (down to 1/1000 of a beat), On/Off Velocities, channel, and MIDI pitch all from a single right-click dialog.

But enough about what DAWs we use. What we're here for is genre shit.

I moved what was originally here to the next post

tl;dr I personally find FL to have a weird learning curve: low on some parts, but ridiculously high in others. To me, it's ease of use is, at best, barely tolerable but manageable. At worst, it's terrible and nearly impossible to work with.

Don't get me wrong, there are parts I love about FL that I wish I had elsewhere (the advanced automation clip options - linear, exponential curves, etc.)

Doing the same in Reaper will give you far more options.

Like what? You're quantizing, not using a modulation matrix. What 'options' are you expecting? I personally rarely quantize. I only do so when I play parts in live for specifically a video game OST or similar where instruments are expected to play in perfect rhythm. Otherwise I usually either play it in live and leave it, or sequence it in because I like doing it like that.

stacking quotes because this refers to both

I don't know what Reaper offers, but this is a screenshot of what Mixcraft has on quantization

Mixcraft%206%20Quantization.png

pretty self explanatory.

buuut, if for some reason you want an explanation of this, just in case you aren't quite sure, highlight the bit below here.

Ok, so.

Note type: what note value you are quantizing to.

Strength: How, well, strong the quantization is. If, say a note is on the third eighth note of a measure, and you want to quantize note start to half notes with 50% strengh, it would quantize the note to the seventh sixteenth note of the measure.

the Start Times and Note End checkboxes: Either quantize just the note beginning, it's ending, or both.

Swing: self explanatory, given the text on the dialog box. Percent is calculated from Note Type, not individual note lengths.

And then you can quantize all the notes or only the ones highlighted in a MIDI clip.

Now, as for what timaeus was talking about, why have quantization with features? Well, for one, let's say you didn't record your midi with enough swing, and your MIDI alignment grid just doesn't get to the right resolution you want for a nice swing. Here, you'd use the swing feature (for obvious reasons). Or, lets say you recorded a MIDI part that sounds a tad too wild, but when quantized sounds too... inhuman. So, just partially quantize the clip so that the notes are closer to the grid, but still have the human playback sound to it (Strength feature).

See, quantize is made to correct human error, but sometimes you want to keep part of said error, so it's good to have options just in case.

split the last post so we can get back to the OP's original topic. (yeah, yeah, "double post". :nicework:)

So, my musical genre?

I usually experiment with electronic music, and I'll leave the description at that, although I tend to lean towards music that is more in the House genre, which is surprisingly easy once you get the sound designing down. It's usually the sound design that's the hardest part, unless you have a lot of self-made presets or really nice 3rd-party presets tailored to your needs. The rest is really just automating effects, filters, envelopes and whatnot.

I also like to sing (I supposedly have a really good voice. Really good. Supposedly). but this is something I can't really record due to my terrible mic and awful (read as nonexistent) recording setup. So, really I'm limited to anything that doesn't require me to record anything, which is why I really stick to electronic.

Also, the right-click-to-delete function is a royal pain in the ass. Almost every other program uses right-click as an options menu, but no. FL uses it to delete shit. Why? Why was this chosen instead of, you know, the DEL key?

Well, probably because the delete key would require left-clicking/drag-selecting at least once first to select an object, or right clicking, and THEN clicking again to actually delete something. It saves one click/step for anything you want to mass-delete. :D

And I have yet to figure out how to do tempo and key signature changes in FL (not that I've been using it much, if at all).

Tempo changes are with automation clips on the tempo (yep, you can do that). Key signature can be changed with the tuning slider at the upper left, next to the logo (in cents).

You're able to use "advanced" humanization features, mass velocity editing (by % or hard-value), transposition, etc., which is stuff I have yet to find in FL. You can also edit individual MIDI notes by adjusting their duration (down to 1/1000 of a beat), On/Off Velocities, channel, and MIDI pitch all from a single right-click dialog.

You can mass increase and decrease velocities by doing Ctrl+A and Shift+Mouse Wheel. It's not smooth, but it can be "smoothened" to be more accurate by enlarging the piano roll. See, I take the rather unique approach of trying a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts and taking note on what does what, and mapping it all in my head to organize it to remember later. :-P

So, just partially quantize the clip so that the notes are closer to the grid, but still have the human playback sound to it (Strength feature).

Get a MIDI keyboard (I got one I'm happy with for $80), or FL's quantize can quantize specific notes when you highlight specific notes, to be completely pedantic. :<

But enough about what DAWs we use. What we're here for is genre shit.

YEAH!

------

So... OP intent? Genres.

I kind of mix genres sometimes, but I tend to do ambient, electronica, big beat, electronic, rock, or something completely new. If I were to say what I specialize in, I'd say ambient.

Well, probably because the delete key would require left-clicking/drag-selecting at least once first to select an object, or right clicking, and THEN clicking again to actually delete something. It saves one click/step for anything you want to mass-delete. :D

I, personally, prefer the click-drag-DEL-key method. Besides, wouldn't you have to click-drag-rightclick anyway?

Get a MIDI keyboard,

I have one.

or FL's quantize can quantize specific notes when you highlight specific notes, to be completely pedantic. :<

Sometimes it's easier to quantize the whole thing to %50 strength to preserve human playback, than hunting down individual notes that stray too much, especially when you have a MIDI clip of a piano part that is eight to ten measures long. ;-)

back to the OP topic. I also like to sing, but this is something I can't really record due to my terrible mic and awful (read as nonexistent) recording setup. So, really I'm limited to anything that doesn't require me to record anything, which is why I really stick to electronic.

I, personally, prefer the click-drag-DEL-key method. Besides, wouldn't you have to click-drag-rightclick anyway?

Nope, because in FL's playlist window, you can use the brush tool to right-click-drag and mass delete. :D

I have [a MIDI keyboard].

Well, good, but actually the statement was meant for the general public. xD

Sometimes it's easier to quantize the whole thing to %50 strength to preserve human playback, than hunting down individual notes that stray too much, especially when you have a MIDI clip of a piano part that is eight to ten measures long. ;-)

True. That's why I just listen to a track in the morning and take notes on notepad on what sticks out to me, then when I check it out sometime after school it usually becomes clear what mistake I made.

But yeah, GENRES! Yeah, let's.

One last off-topic commentary: Do you guys use quantization when you record with MIDI keyboards? Isn't that kind of killing the point of humanization?

sometimes it's easier to quantize the whole thing to %50 strength to preserve human playback, than hunting down individual notes that stray too much [in your MIDI recording], especially when you have a MIDI clip of a piano part that is eight to ten measures long. ;-)

tenchar

So, no. It's only making the humanization a moot point if your quantize function is very basic and doesn't support partial quantization (check my Mixcraft Example from earlier)

One last off-topic commentary: Do you guys use quantization when you record with MIDI keyboards? Isn't that kind of killing the point of humanization?

The concept of humanizing (here) refers to taking something digitally perfect and manually putting imperfection into it to imitate human-style playback.

It has nothing to do with taking a really bad performance and cleaning it up, and yes, if your DAW doesn't support some sort of sensitivity on the quantize, then you should stop using it if you want to imitate human performance.

There's a difference between having a well-humanized section and being bad at piano.

I never use quantize when I preform live stuff. because I play the guitar HAHAHAHAHAH XD! (if I could quantize guitar my shredding for perfect melodies..... on day, one day technology!!!!1!)

nah seriously. I dont quantize :/ same with piano and synth stuff, I just keep recording till I get it right, a old habit that is actually doing me good really (for some reason).

If I REALLY need to quantize that means my pc is lagging to the point that live play is impossible. but that does not happen often since I resample or use external sounds.

that's just me though.

I never use quantize when I preform live stuff. because I play the guitar HAHAHAHAHAH XD! (if I could quantize guitar my shredding for perfect melodies..... on day, one day technology!!!!1!)

nah seriously. I dont quantize :/ same with piano and synth stuff, I just keep recording till I get it right, a old habit that is actually doing me good really (for some reason).

If I REALLY need to quantize that means my pc is lagging to the point that live play is impossible. but that does not happen often since I resample or use external sounds.

that's just me though.

My computer always lags when recording stuff. So I have to turn off monitoring to fix it.

Not that it really matters, since I don't record much.