OCR02708 - *YES* Metroid 'Kraidzy Dance'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information:

ReMixer name : Dirty Delay

Website : http://soundcloud.com/dirtydelay http://www.youtube.com/user/DirtyDelay http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dirtydelay/168582752699

Userid : 36974

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged : Metroid 1 - Kraid

Name of arrangement : Kraidzy Dance

I use to produce Progressive house music. This game and this music enchant my childhood, so I'll think this can be interesting to transpose this music with an alternative aproach. I have erased all the disonant note in this music because I want to compose a happy ambiance with electro et progressive house standards.If when you listen to this music you wanna get up and dance, I have complete my objective.I am very proud of the result and I hope you will enjoy it.

Dirty Delay.

For a progressive house track, this uses the source in some unexpected ways. This was mostly clicking for me so I'll start with the negatives. The mixing was crowded in the low-end, which hurt the clarity. The kick was missing crispness, and the snare was also somewhat washed out. The breakdown section at 2:17 ended quite suddenly and could have been smoother, although the meter switch there was really cool. The filter sweep at 2:45 also showed some signs of distortion. Apart from that, your attention to detail was appreciated. Even in the parts that repeat, I hear some minor changes to the background instruments.

I can see judges being down on this, but I'm gonna say it's a YES. The arrangement goes beyond what I would expect for a house track and gets quite creative. If I can listen to a 6:37 house track twice in a row and not get bored, I think there's something there.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty much right with Vinnie on this. The track is long, but there's a ton of little details that really make this stay interesting and fun to listen to. I love the overall mood and soundscape. This is definitely a track I'd love to explore Zebes while listening to.

There's some good variation in your structure, and the dynamic changes really help to keep the listener focused. I felt like the backing synths got a bit repetitive overall, but I think that comes down to personal taste. I can see Vinnie's crits on the percussion and low end, but I agree that they aren't enough to bring this below the bar. Nice work.

YES

Like vinnie, I'm going to echo the production crits with the muddy low end and the lack of crispness in the kick. You could either find a kick sample to layer it with that has a bit of snap to it, or bring out the high mids/treble in the kick slightly. Maybe a subtle combination of the two for effect. Mostly, this seems solid to me. The production other than that small oversight is clear and powerful.

Texturally, this does get a little repetitive, and the bland leads don't really help matters. Your synths are good quality, but you could have gone for some more interesting timbres in your synths at times I reckon.

I like the arrangement, even if it does drag on slightly too long at 6 and a half minutes. The source is clear, and variated on well enough, and at 6 minutes, you've done a good job at keeping the source prominent throughout, altho it does have a knack of repeating itself once too often.

It does have its minor flaws, but none of these things quite add up to a NO, altho its pretty close imo.

Good stuff here!

YES

The strong suit of this remix is how you've adapted the Kraid melodies into such an unusual context. It works very well for a song that sticks with such a basic sound pallet. There are some appropriate critiques here that I won't spent much time retreading, but I can cosign with my fellow judges on this.

Unexpected, and surprisingly enjoyable :-) Congrats.

YES