Dad mods Zelda for daughter

AngelCityOutlaw

*ahem* *ahem*

It's probably not as easy as a simple search-and-replace. What exactly does "search for strings that represent the player's name" mean, and how do you do it in any kind of automated way? How do you read a sentence, probably without obvious context (odds are the text of the game is a series of strings, all in a block, without obvious indicators of whether two consecutive strings actually go together semantically), and mechanically decide that the pronouns used (or that SOME of the pronouns used) reference Link and not any other character in the game? The only way I could see search and replace working is if he got a full and accurate copy of the script, analyzed it by hand or some other natural-language-processing tool (and if by a tool, checked the results), and generated a list of strings to search for and corresponding replacements to make.

There's also the fact that strings in the ROM probably are expected to be of fixed length (the length itself is possibly encoded somewhere; it's not necessarily a given that they'd store raw C strings - one byte per character plus a terminating NULL byte - in the string table). A change from "his" to "hers" could be really tough to deal with because of this; he'd have needed to figure out how the strings were encoded and increase the length by one.

I'm sure this wasn't hundreds of hours of work, but it wasn't 30 seconds either. I say this as someone who's taken a masters-level course on natural language processing (so I have at least some idea of what's involved in trying to process text mechanically) and someone who's done an admittedly-minor ROM hack of sorts (my dad's work needed to change a copyright message in a program for which they had the source but no longer had the compiler, so I took the executable and changed the string table for them).

Back in my day, ten year olds were shooting each other with spear-guns online in Aliens Vs Predator 2. :<

Sure, that's bordering on puberty-desensitised-to-violence-fun.

FF6 has your player character attempt suicide from the sheer depression they've fallen into.

I think some of you are missing the point of what this dad was trying to do.

Young kids are very impressionable and even fragments of concepts and ideas given to them by a supportive role model can grow into a full-fledged personality.

When she gets older, sure, she'll realize that Link is in fact a boy. Will it shatter her worldview to find out that the strong character she found herself emulating and wanting to be like is "in reality" male? I doubt it.

The important lesson is that years before that is ever relevant, the idea is planted in her mind that *she* can be a hero. That concept is empowering and shapes entire lifetimes.

Not only that, but her father spending time with her playing a great game and supporting her future is awesome. I really can't see how anyone can complain about that.

I don't know, I played that game as a teenager and the whole Celes-attempts-suicide things didn't really floor me with sadness. I may have been young but I had a feeling that the game wouldn't kill off one of its main characters.

Galuf and Aeris say Hi. Sure it ain't suicide... but it's death all the same. Hell I've even seen an argument that Aeris -did- commit suicide in a roundabout way... but thats another discussion.

Besides...This is for a girl who cant even read yet. -any- final fantasy game is pretty much out of the question.

I like the idea that this dad wants to give his daughter the idea that she can be a hero... but this seems like alot of work over nothing. In a couple of years, she'll be able to read, and there are plenty of competent and compelling female leads to choose from there.

Galuf was one hell of a guy. Took out Exdeath solo even AFTER losing all his HP. A total bro to the end.

And mind you, back then, all you had to go off of was FFIV, where even characters who had no way of surviving their "deaths" were fine and dandy later on. As a kid I was very much bummed when Cid, Yang, Rydia, Palom and Porom, and Tellah died or sacrificed themselves throughout the course of the story (though anyone back then could see Tellah's death a mile away and he was barely in your party). But then, like all of them sans Tellah are just chillin' once more later on in the game, making me think "Uh, what?"

But this is tangential to the topic at hand.

PS you can't call Aeris' death anything other than Sephiroth's magnificent "i troll u" moment.

Though anyone back then could see Tellah's death a mile away and he was barely in your party).

What are you talking about? He was with you through the Kaipo cave, Mt. Ordeals, the siege on Baron, the trip through the Dark Elf's cave and the Tower of Zot. He helped you kill Octomamm, Scarmiglone, Baigan, Kainazzo, the Dark Elf, The Magus Sisters, and even took on Golbez by himself.

How is that barely in your party? /offtopicffivfanboyrant

Galuf and Aeris say Hi. Sure it ain't suicide... but it's death all the same. Hell I've even seen an argument that Aeris -did- commit suicide in a roundabout way... but thats another discussion.

Besides...This is for a girl who cant even read yet. -any- final fantasy game is pretty much out of the question.

I like the idea that this dad wants to give his daughter the idea that she can be a hero... but this seems like alot of work over nothing. In a couple of years, she'll be able to read, and there are plenty of competent and compelling female leads to choose from there.

Who?

I mean what are some Rated-E-for-Everyone action/adventure games that feature strong female leads? I'm talking about games that would be appropriate for say an 8 year old girl.

Who?

I mean what are some Rated-E-for-Everyone action/adventure games that feature strong female leads? I'm talking about games that would be appropriate for say an 8 year old girl.

Just about the only character I can think of that fits that role is Jade from Beyond Good & Evil. They're extremely few and far between.

Since this thread started out about Zelda, I wonder if the dad in the story has introduced his daughter to Spirit Tracks. Yes, you still play as Link, and the game is ostensibly about saving Zelda once again, but for once, Zelda stays with you for almost the entire game, and you actively control her in combat during the Tower of Spirits sequences. It's about the only time in the series when Zelda is a real character, instead of just rescue bait, and the game is one of my favorites because of that.

Just about the only character I can think of that fits that role is Jade from Beyond Good & Evil. They're extremely few and far between.

Since this thread started out about Zelda, I wonder if the dad in the story has introduced his daughter to Spirit Tracks. Yes, you still play as Link, and the game is ostensibly about saving Zelda once again, but for once, Zelda stays with you for almost the entire game, and you actively control her in combat during the Tower of Spirits sequences. It's about the only time in the series when Zelda is a real character, instead of just rescue bait, and the game is one of my favorites because of that.

Does Samus count?

What about Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors women? They be strong willed and kill at least a 1000 men a day.

Is it about strong female protagonists or female protagonists doing typically masculine roles, because there is plenty of the former out there.

Aren't you forgetting Wand of Gamelon? :P

But seriously, this is a beautiful gesture by the father and I'm not sure why anyone would get upset about it.

It really is unfortunate that there aren't more female leads in games though, which is one of the reasons why I love when you're given a choice.

But seriously, this is a beautiful gesture by the father and I'm not sure why anyone would get upset about it.

It really is unfortunate that there aren't more female leads in games though, which is one of the reasons why I love when you're given a choice.

I'm a dude, and I almost always play as the women in games if possible.

Especially in fighting games. It's just so satisfying watching Christie Monteiro or Sarah Bryant roundhouse kick Conan-style guys in the face.

I've always hated the Conan-style, body builder crap.

Why would Samus count? The only time they made any kind of characterization effort we ended up with Other M.

Bear in mind the original example is Link, another silent protagonist and I thought Fusion had some nice moments with Samus.

Though I don't look to Team Ninja for good female representation.

Does Samus count?

Samus is the traditional example, but when you stop and think about it, there's very little that even identifies her as female in most of the games. (Hell, that's the reason why the first game's ending was so noteworthy.) Even the Prime series, with maybe the exception of 3, doesn't make much of it. In terms of a role model to young female gamers, Samus isn't exactly the most visible.

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU NOT LISTENING THERE WAS NO SUCH GAME LALALA

Bear in mind the original example is Link, another silent protagonist and I thought Fusion had some nice moments with Samus.

Though I don't look to Team Ninja for good female representation.

Legend of Zelda, being partially based on Miyamoto's own childhood memories, actually incorporates a lot of activities that are stereotypically associated with boys. I think the idea here is that by effectively changing Link's gender, it'll teach the daughter that it's okay for girls to enjoy traditionally 'masculine' outdoor activities such as climbing trees, fishing, exploring the countryside, etc.