OCR01435 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Falling Back"

djpretzel

I know, dead horses smell bad; and as another person who creates something that other people use, I also know that it hurts when someone says that your baby's nose is ugly. Throwing caution to the wind, I must agree with the idea that the vocals detract from the song.

Part of this really struck home when I realized that I had this song stuck in my head, but that the lyrics had been mentally edited out; or if you prefer, replaced with a generic instrument. Who knows, it may be that I would just need to get used to it, such as with getting used to the lead singer's voice for Machinae Supremacy.

Other than that, I love the work that has gone into this mix.

I'm simply fascinated with the guitar work, and it is yet another reason I can use to justify the need for my taking a music appreciation class. I wish I could put my thoughts on it into words, but I lack the vocabulary.

Overall, I do like this mix, and certainly look forward to listening to your future creative works!

EDIT: Also, after listening to this song about five times while writing this post, I had a realization. It may just be me, but the lyrics seem to sound much nicer on speakers instead of headphones. Has anyone else tried alternating between headphones and speakers? (ThankPad speakers, Sony MDR-Q22LP clip-on headphones )

-Austin Spafford

I didn't like this remix when I first head it, but then I listened to it again and then my mood about it completely changed. It's a great Zelda remix, the vocals may need a little work, but since i've never heard you sing before it's a great first vocal track in my opinion.

DarkFrog; Can't tell the difference too much between my headphones and speakers but there is a slightly better quality on the speakers.

Sounds good set up on a church/hall echo effect. ^^

I'd love to see some more tracks with vocals from you Darangen, maybe with some backing vocals aswell. :)

This rocks!

I guess I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I think Darangen's work is by far the best example, IMO, of what video game rock remixes should sound like. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased towards the style he brings, but his musical sensibility always hits home with me. The arrangement is clever and the lyrics are concise through and through. It's what makes rock music work for me.

Darangen has incredibly solid musicianship and all around style up the arse! Very cool stuff and I'm always wanting more. Keep it up, bro. \m/

Heh, so I'm not the only one who was thinking about Linkin Park...

When I heard the song for the first time, it was far too emo for me, but after listening to it a few times more, it became better and better, up to the point where it was quite catchy.

And yes, the vocals aren't top notch, but so what? I still enjoyed it (after some start-up problems).

• 2 weeks later...

You have to admit this is creative. I could definitely use more of these original lyrics. Even better, it works in Gerudo Valley! Love how you replaced that Latin beat with some good rock. In terms of the vocals, just keep working at it, it can only get better! i.e. keep these coming!

Pop music is just too overrated. I don't want such to hear more recycled pieces of conventional, formulaic poo.

Having said that the vocals are obviously my biggest qualm as well. It sounds more like Dranagen's just chatting on the phone rather than actually singing.

Other than that it's fairly rocking. I don't know how I feel about the guitar though; it's not loud enough during the choruses. The keyboards (why keyboards?) overpower it too much. The drums are too simple and are clearly unauthentic. I would also say this is more punk than emo. It's supposed to sound edgy and this just sounds like another catchy, over produced pop tune.

Now that I write this review, I realize that I really don't like this ReMix too much at all. I really enjoyed Dranagen's Chrono Trigger mix though. That was awesome.

First of all, I've gotta say that I've always enjoyed Darangen's music. One of my favorite remixers easily. Now for the song...

I really enjoy songs like this that have vocals and a more radio-friendly style. Makes it a lot easier to get my friends hooked on OC Remixes :) . My only major complaints about this song are...

a) Could have done with our the lead guitar in the chorus. The vocals already fill the need for the melody line there. Having the guitar parallel the vox seemed a bit redundant and out of place.

B) I really like the vocal line a lot, but a song like this needed a more heavier, powerful rock-type voice. That's not to say that you don't sing well... yeah a bit beginnerish, but that doesn't bother me too much. I actually like the sound of your voice a lot, and with some practice and some voice lessons, it could be great. I just don't think it compliments this style too well. A thicker, lower voice would have done the trick.

Besides that, this will definately be going on my favorites playlist. I really like the lyrics a lot, and it doesn't get boring very fast. I'm listening to it on loop right now.

Here's for hopiing for more vocal mixes like this in the future. Nice work, Darangen!

Well, it takes a bit to get me to post here, but this was just unlistenable. Seriously, I've heard every Zelda OCRemix, and I'm lost for words at how bad this is.

Could you say why? Honestly, I could see how someone wouldn't enjoy this because of the vocals or the genre or any number of other reasons... but if you analyze the piece critically, you can't deny that there is a great amount of skill put into this song in both instrumentation and production.

Of course it's okay to say you don't like it. But if you're going to say that this is outright bad, back up your claim by giving some reasons. Empty criticism isn't going to help Darangen put out better music.

Could you say why? Honestly, I could see how someone wouldn't enjoy this because of the vocals or the genre or any number of other reasons... but if you analyze the piece critically, you can't deny that there is a great amount of skill put into this song in both instrumentation and production.

Of course it's okay to say you don't like it. But if you're going to say that this is outright bad, back up your claim by giving some reasons. Empty criticism isn't going to help Darangen put out better music.

Well, obviously it takes a great amount of skill to create such a song but, guess what, it also takes a great amount of skill to be a ReMixer on this site. The judges are pretty strict and want only the best. So, technically speaking, every mix on this site is going to have undergone much care and production. That's just the way it is..

As for the song itself. It's just rehashed wannabe pop punk and that's cool if that's the sort of stuff that Dranagen wants to do... but it kills the song. He gives it this weird highschool emo vibe that just feels so tired and drab.

Once again, yeah this song sounds great, but it takes more than excellent production values to create a great song. I hope you get what I mean.

I mean no offence or anything, by the way, just supplying answers.

Could you say why? Honestly' date=' I could see how someone wouldn't enjoy this because of the vocals or the genre or any number of other reasons... but if you analyze the piece critically, you can't deny that there is a great amount of skill put into this song in both instrumentation and production.

Of course it's okay to say you don't like it. But if you're going to say that this is outright bad, back up your claim by giving some reasons. Empty criticism isn't going to help Darangen put out better music.[/quote']

Well, obviously it takes a great amount of skill to create such a song but, guess what, it also takes a great amount of skill to be a ReMixer on this site. The judges are pretty strict and want only the best. So, technically speaking, every mix on this site is going to have undergone much care and production. That's just the way it is..

As for the song itself. It's just rehashed wannabe pop punk and that's cool if that's the sort of stuff that Dranagen wants to do... but it kills the song. He gives it this weird highschool emo vibe that just feels so tired and drab.

Once again, yeah this song sounds great, but it takes more than excellent production values to create a great song. I hope you get what I mean.

I mean no offence or anything, by the way, just supplying answers.

Fair enough. Basically, you're saying that the genre bugs you and it seems a bit too cliche, musically speaking. And honestly, I'd have too agree. But I think that was intentional. It seems to me that Darangen was trying to take a familiar cliche style, and make it into something a little more by adding the Gerudo theme to it. The difference is that I liked it and you didn't. And that's cool. I just get annoyed when someone labels a song "bad" without admitting that it's just their own opinion.

About the genre (emo, punk, whatever)...

I like to try different styles and approaches to songs. Even though some of my releases may sound similar in style and genre, I always originally start out wanting to try new things and explore different territories.

I remix for fun, and only for fun. If people don't like the finished products, I'm not going to be offended by it, and if they want to leave criticism, that's cool too. If people do end up liking it, that's just an added bonus to the fun I had making it.

I can understand genre bias, because there are genre's I don't like too.. like rap. I wouldn't say rap is "bad", but it's definately not my taste.

Also, I've been getting alot of requests for a instrumental mix of this. It's probably not going to happen, sorry if that busts your bubbles.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.. and death threats.. and whatever else they've put here.

About the genre (emo, punk, whatever)...

I like to try different styles and approaches to songs. Even though some of my releases may sound similar in style and genre, I always originally start out wanting to try new things and explore different territories.

I remix for fun, and only for fun. If people don't like the finished products, I'm not going to be offended by it, and if they want to leave criticism, that's cool too. If people do end up liking it, that's just an added bonus to the fun I had making it.

I can understand genre bias, because there are genre's I don't like too.. like rap. I wouldn't say rap is "bad", but it's definately not my taste.

Also, I've been getting alot of requests for a instrumental mix of this. It's probably not going to happen, sorry if that busts your bubbles.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.. and death threats.. and whatever else they've put here.

Despite what it may seem like, I do enjoy the majority of your work. For example: your Chrono Trigger mix, Atonement, rocks my socks.

I can honestly say this is the best song on this site....best vocally no doubt about it and best song. :D

I have no clue what you guyz are talking about by saying the vocals are terrible. The singers voice actually sounds like a cross between the lead singer from Simple Plan and Tom Delonge from angels and airwaves you can't get any better than that.

I hope your next vocal work comes soon and I can't wait

I can honestly say this is the best song on this site....best vocally no doubt about it and best song. :D

I have no clue what you guyz are talking about by saying the vocals are terrible. The singers voice actually sounds like a cross between the lead singer from Simple Plan and Tom Delonge from angels and airwaves you can't get any better than that.

Sounding like Simple Plan is a good thing? How old are you, 13?

Sounding like Simple Plan is a good thing? How old are you' date=' 13?[/quote']

I think we got your opinion 5 posts ago. There's no need to attack other people's tastes.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01435 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Falling Back"