Free music courses

Kanthos

• 4 weeks later...

Here's all I'm taking:

2012 - Heterogeneous Parallel Programming (more than halfway through, it's been fun and I've been helping out other people on the forums)

2013 - Algorithms, Part I

2013 - Algorithms, Part II

2013 - Calculus: Single Variable (starts Monday)

2013 - Creative Programming for Digital Media & Mobile Apps

2013 - Discrete Optimization

2013 - Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering

2013 - General Game Playing

2013 - Linear Algebra through Computer Science Applications

2013 - Programming Languages

2013 - The Hardware/Software Interface

2013 - Introduction to Digital Sound Design

2013 - Introduction to Music Production (easy peasy)

2013 - Songwriting

2013 - Survey of Music Technology

Edited by Neblix

• 3 weeks later...
The only problem I had was the laggy video, but there's an easy fix for that.

An easy fix to stop the video from lagging on the browser? How exactly?

I just download the video on my computer, and the downloaded version never glitches. but then I lose the random question time.

I'm there, I just haven't checked out the forums much yet. I saw the first few posts were about technical issues with the course or threads about which DAW is good and whether you can use ProTools or Logic to do the stuff in this course, so I stopped looking more than that.

Also, anyone else find the last half of this week's lectures to be kind of boring? Useful from an academic sense, I suppose, but not that helpful for someone who knows what musical contexts they already do/want to make music in, none of which are traditional Japanese music? Kind of felt like filler to me, possibly because he didn't want to break up the next lecture.

Also, anyone else find the last half of this week's lectures to be kind of boring? Useful from an academic sense, I suppose, but not that helpful for someone who knows what musical contexts they already do/want to make music in, none of which are traditional Japanese music? Kind of felt like filler to me, possibly because he didn't want to break up the next lecture.

i figure, you can never learn too much music related stuff. even if you dont like traditional japanese music, surely you can learn a bit about it and use the info in some way

i figure, you can never learn too much music related stuff. even if you dont like traditional japanese music, surely you can learn a bit about it and use the info in some way

Oh sure, it wasn't useless information, and it's not that I have a general dislike for all oriental music; I have some oriental and oriental-influenced musics already in my collection. Some of the chanting-type stuff was a bit odd, for me, but that doesn't mean I didn't learn anything from listening to it.

I meant more that I didn't see how most of the content (the Human Condition and Environment videos) fits in with the theme of the course. Sure, the more you know about sound, music, the psychology of music and sound, the better, but was it worth roughly 90 minutes out of a course that will have roughly 8 hours of lectures? I didn't really think so. I'd see it fitting much better in a "Music 101" style course that gives an overview of music and how we understand it. The stuff on timbre and how we hear, on the other hand, I've read enough to see how that relates directly to the rest of the course.

I was also pretty tired when I listened to the lectures yesterday, so between that and the content seeming out of place, I probably wasn't in the right headspace to appreciate everything he said as much as you might've been. I should listen to it again when I'm less tired and accept it for what it is, not what I think it should be (eg. something more in line with the other three lectures).

You have to remember the course is not intended for musicians. It's intended for literally everyone. (and remember, it's not a music class. It's a sound class. It's digital audio, nothing more)

A complete stranger to the topic may not understand the impact of powerful sound, or that there is an observed and documented difference between listening to something in person vs. hearing it as an mp3.

I thought it was a perfect way to start the course. It's a "here is WHY this stuff matters and how it can affect people". Then he goes into how he actually does it in the next lectures.

You'll never find a class that doesn't introduce the topic at a surface level. Learning all this stuff about roughness vs. warmth, and tonal sound vs. timbral sound and how it affects the human being makes you a better sound designer. It gives you a way to gauge how your sound will impact a listener quantitatively and it gives you labels for techniques that you can employ (like evoking emotion without at all writing any actual "music")

Edited by Neblix

Soooo, how about that digital sound design class. Pretty cool stuff eh? Anyone use the discussion boards yet? I'm still not finished watching all of the videos, when I get home though, I'll be watching the rest. The ear stuff was really cool. Also the first human condition(the last video I ended on) was interesting especially the part about babies and white noise. I never thought about that connection Mr. Everette made. I'll probably post more as time goes on, but I think that's all I'll write about for now.

Would anyone else like to share their thoughts?

Just found it, just posted. I'll probably go back through at some point, and take notes on some of the things. I definitely like the way this guy delievers information, although I wish there were slightly more examples of things he talks about. Someone mentioned it in a thread, when he was talking about timbres, an example would have been better of a cello, flute, the human voice, etc. rather than him explaining it.

There's a website that offers free university-level online courses in a variety of topics. I took a compiler course there over the summer as a review for my job, but I just discovered they have some new music courses.

I've signed up for one on Music Production and another on Digital Sound Design; anyone want to take them with me?

I just started Digital Sound Design, I might get to Music Production, schedule permitting (in other words: yeah I'll be there)

• 3 weeks later...