OceansAndrew

ReMixer name: Verdegrand

UserID: 31241

Name of game arranged: Final Fantasy IX

Name of individual song arranged: Theme of the Tantalus

Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

Name of arrangement: "In the Hall of the Gangster King"

Link to the original soundtrack: http://ocremix.org/chip/11988

This is for the Final Fantasy IX album project.

Link to first evaluation thread:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32257

Comments:

Here is my resubmission of a piano remix I submitted a while back and that was rejected with several judges saying that I could send in a resub. I am sorry that it took me so long to send in a new version. This is a different recording, and the sound quality should be improved over my first submission. I also removed the rhythmical irregularities in the middle section that most of the judges pointed out, made some other minor changes and also changed the name of the arrangement.

About the arrangement itself: When listening to this track, I felt reminded of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite, so I made a reference to that piece. I was surprised at how well that theme fits into the overall mood of the original, especially since the result is a mixture of a classical theme and a jazzy structure. I quote it at a part where the arrangement harmonically deviates from the original and goes to another key, and the reference then brings the arrangement back into its original key and brings with it a sense of escalation. It serves as a musical idea that appears out of nowhere at the right time, acts as a surprise and enables changes to take place which then allow for a new intensified perspective on the material that was played before.

• 4 weeks later...

Urgh, these piano subs always make me feel like a bad guy. Well, you fixed the problem with the recording quality, but now this sounds super flat. It sounds very sequenced (I'm guessing it is) with almost every note at the same volume, and fairly rigid to boot. Writing still awesome, production still a problem. Sorry!

NO (resubmit)

It always seems like me and Vinnie are the ones hating on piano mixes together ( :tomatoface: ) but I have to agree that this sounds SUPER flat. The lack of dynamics is a huge concern for me and I can't sign off on it for that reason alone. The timing is too robotic as well, it feels like there's a strong lack of life to the performance that's dragging it down.

Sorry, this is gonna need another resub in my opinion! Good luck with the vote.

NO (resub!)

• 1 month later...

I have to fully agree with the NOs, the timing of this sounds too stiff, and I'm actually disappointed by the YESs when it's abundantly clear this is flat and mechanical-sounding. It's just causing a split vote that had no business happening.

I've certainly heard worse as far as a piece sounding flat and unexpressive; the sample's not terrible, but the realism and tone of the piano are too obviously fake and any dynamics inherent in the writing are gone.

Sorry, Verdegrand, I think we all know you're talented, your YouTube material rocks socks, but you're going to need a more expressive sample or a reasonable-sounding live performance to get this otherwise solid arrangement passed.

Not sure what happened here, as I've heard

and it seems like you could fashion a rich-sounding performance with your eyes closed. :-) Don't be discouraged with this vote, we know you can get this where it needs to be as far as the articulations and sound quality, and it's not an indictment of your actual skill level.

NO (resubmit)

Just for the sake of being different, I'm going to not complain about the mechanical sequencing and instead cite the fact that this sounds a whole lot like the original. Same tempo, same feel, the main difference is that there's no instrumentation beyond piano.

Despite that, I'll say that you do some pretty cool part writing. Your harmonies are really cool, well embellished without being over the top.

NO