SNES Jurassic Park - Eastern Forest

jordanrooben

Lots of the mixes I put up here in the past have been relatively unpolished, in terms of how much time I put into them. Realizing that was a problem, I put a lot more work (at least one month) into this one. At any rate, enjoy it!

Version 1: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/jurassic-park-eastern-forest

Version 2: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/jurrasic-park-snes-eastern

This is extremely awesome. I sure can't say I think anything needs to be changed. The time you spent working on it definitely shows.

Right away, this remix gives off a kind of hard, industrial feel, and then later has that jungly, wind-instrument sound: You deliberately gave it those thematic elements to match Jurassic Park, right?........ 'Cause it's really cool.

I love how original this is. You really made it your own!

If I'm looking for something to nitpick (and I always am), then I'd say one area where the song could improve for me is on some of the transitions between major sections and phrases.

A couple transitions that really worked for me:

1. The build into the downbeat of 0:53

2. The build into 2:44

Some bits I felt could have used more emphasis/variation:

1. The key change at 1:20 I felt could have been more dramatic, with something leading up to it rather than just an extra juicy hit on the downbeat.

2. In general, from 2:45-on, there's nothing really marking the end of each phrase; the drums sometimes change patterns at the start of a new phrase, but there's never any fill or ramp up leading into the change.

Not every four-to-eight bars needs to be as huge as the two nice transitions I noted above. However, you could emphasize them a little more with slight variations in the drum writing (like a tiny drum fill), a subtle sus cymbal roll (or electronic noise sweep... if that's the right term for it), maybe a fortepiano hit on the last measure of a phrase with a crescendo and/or filter effect resolving on beat one of the following measure. It's good to punctuate your phrases with something, even if it's really subtle, to avoid having them run on like a run-on sentence.

Nice work on this. In terms of meeting OCR's standard of creative interpretation, I think you nailed it.

This is extremely awesome. I sure can't say I think anything needs to be changed. The time you spent working on it definitely shows.

Right away, this remix gives off a kind of hard, industrial feel, and then later has that jungly, wind-instrument sound: You deliberately gave it those thematic elements to match Jurassic Park, right?........ 'Cause it's really cool.

I'll be honest, I don't completely remember what my inspiration for this was exactly, but I see what you mean. Thanks!

Anyway, I worked on the absolutely horrible mixing so It should sound much better than before, and I did some work on transitions. Hope you all enjoy it!

http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/jurrasic-park-snes-eastern

• 4 weeks later...

This will be a bit harsh but not mean.

It'd be nicer if you do some automation to cut out unnecessary, overlapping frequencies during certain sections and bring them back later when they won't clash with other instruments' frequencies.

I'm also not really liking the noise thwip thing at 1:22 leading into the key change. One, it's too loud, and two, it doesn't fit. Maybe more of a reverse thwip?

1:35 - the saw wave arpeggio seems too static to me. Maybe put an LFO on it to modulate an internal cutoff filter?

2:45 - the sync lead is too dry, and it makes it pretty annoying, and it clashes with the polyphonic saw wave arpeggio. Add some reverb on that sync lead, and low pass that poly saw wave a bit. You might also want to try putting the sync lead an octave lower to see how it sounds.

Overall, upgrade your sounds. They're very generic right now, and nothing too special. You've gotta grab people's attention with interesting sounds.

Good style and direction

Your flute doesn't sound like it's playing some of the notes on time. Maybe there's something with the attack or how the part it sequenced but this lead feels just a bit off.

Then in the second half (2:45 onward), it's getting too bright with the lead instruments. Not enough mids or low-mids. It'll still be possible to mix those frequencies well if the arpeggio is turned down some.

Also I think you can work on a better ending. I can hear the lead fading out before the beat does. Maybe finish with a beat-less outro.