TellTale Games "The Walking Dead" is done, now I have to go cry into my pillow (Spoilers of course)

The Damned

Jesus christ, TellTale, could you make it any harder to watch that last scene? And that cliff-hanger ending? You bastards, you've made me feel for a fictional character. How could you do this to me?

Just...

Fuck.

Now I have to play through it all again, but this time, do the opposite of what I did the first time to see how different it turns out.

Anyone else been playing this?

I could possibly do it on Monday evening.

Until then we could discuss 1 through 4.

I am on the phone so I will not be marking anything is spoilers. Continue reading at your own risk.

I feel like I made pretty normal choices for a good guy throughout the game. I always did what I thought was the best choice and never did anything evil in general but I also punished the bed stuff when it happened. For example, I left the lady who killed Carly off of the train to get killed by zombies or whatever. I started being less nice to Kenny after he murdered that lady's dead dad, but I started being nice to him after that because I felt like I needed to for the game to play right. I was really surprised that Crawford ended up being a zombie town. I took Clementine with me into Crawford. I told people that I have been bitten. I am really sad about Lee being bitten and I do not want to game to actually go that way but I guess I have no choice.

• 5 weeks later...

I never saw this thread but I played the final chapter immediately after it came out and I have to say it is one of the most emotionally stirring games I've ever played from the beginning to end.

Telltale has done some really good stuff, they've also done some really mediocre stuff. Walking dead is a step above all of it. The second chapter was the best. :D

The writing in this game is a step above what you'd expect from video games. However I was still let down by the game. I thought the player's decisions would impact things more in the long term, but at certain points person X is going to die or situation Y will happen no matter what you decide to do. For a game that has a disclaimer at the start of each episode saying the story tailors to how you play, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect something more.

The writing in this game is a step above what you'd expect from video games. However I was still let down by the game. I thought the player's decisions would impact things more in the long term, but at certain points person X is going to die or situation Y will happen no matter what you decide to do. For a game that has a disclaimer at the start of each episode saying the story tailors to how you play, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect something more.

Agreed. Upon my second play through, I found there was less importance on who was saved and how it changed things.

For instance, there's one part where you have to choose between saving a young man and a little boy. The outcome doesn't change at all. I had hoped that the cast changes would affect the story more.

It's still all one hell of a ride the first time through' though, and I eagerly await the next one.

For instance, there's one part where you have to choose between saving a young man and a little boy. The outcome doesn't change at all. I had hoped that the cast changes would affect the story more.

Really? That's... disappointing. Oh well. I understand how difficult it'd be to develop a game like this that truly branches out. The amount of extra work required grows exponentially with each decision point if truly independent paths were made. Still, for what it is, I really enjoyed it. Felt like a different kind of visual novel in many respects, and you know how much I like those.

Yeah, I think in order to properly enjoy this game you have to play through it once, because that will maintain the illusion of choice. If you're looking for a game that actually branches out to a ridiculous degree, look no further than Alpha Protocol.

As an example, one of the antagonists in that game can only be killed in a relatively obscure way. Basically he has to get pissed off enough to want to kill you. In order to do that you have to be very suave, faux-James Bondlike in your conversations with him, because he hates that. HOWEVER, if you only specifically start acting like that when you first meet him, he will actually see through you and call you out on deliberately trying to piss him off by acting like that. So to do it properly, you have to establish your character as a smug fucker from the very beginning of the game.

Yeah, I think in order to properly enjoy this game you have to play through it once, because that will maintain the illusion of choice. If you're looking for a game that actually branches out to a ridiculous degree, look no further than Alpha Protocol.

As an example, one of the antagonists in that game can only be killed in a relatively obscure way. Basically he has to get pissed off enough to want to kill you. In order to do that you have to be very suave, faux-James Bondlike in your conversations with him, because he hates that. HOWEVER, if you only specifically start acting like that when you first meet him, he will actually see through you and call you out on deliberately trying to piss him off by acting like that. So to do it properly, you have to establish your character as a smug fucker from the very beginning of the game.

I just got Alpha Protocol in the SEGA Collection... might have to try dat sheeit. Wonder if I could do it without realizing it... hehe

• 1 month later...