Techno-orchestral remix of NYC Streets from Deus Ex

HeavenWraith

It's actually too quiet. I ripped a short clip of it at a section where it should be at its loudest, and it's actually peaking at about -4dB-ish. You need to get that up to or near 0dB.

Another thing is that this mix probably has too much reverb going on in total. The majority of it seems to be in the strings. The rest of it "appears" to be there because of the quietness of the instruments and possibly the dry signal being too low at times.

• 2 weeks later...
Updated the OP with the link to the source and new version of the mix. The bones of the track are completed, more or less. All that's left is to adjust velocity, reverb, compression, etc. Also I wonder whether this mix is too monotonous...

Looks like the OP link is broken. Is this it? http://soundcloud.com/heavenwraith/nyc

You should fix the gap at 1:19. It feels weird.

The kick and snare don't seem to match what you're going for. The kick needs more thwip, and the snare needs punch. Maybe you can take a look at what I mean by snare punch, in this random track I made to test Cinematic Synthetic Drums:

https://www.box.com/s/xcuameiu38vmhuctqbc7 @ 0:20

Maybe not quite that powerful, but it should be similarly punchy.

For some reason it sounds like you have a phaser on the strings at 1:20. Why? At 2:16, the keys-like instrument would benefit from some delay and reverb, just not too much delay. At 2:30 - 2:32, make sure you have something to connect those sections. That feels like terraced dynamics to me right there.

Of course, change up the drums as the song progresses. Don't keep the same rhythm throughout, and changing the kit would be interesting too, especially since it's not primarily organic. At 3:26, the polyphonic saw wave solo seems like it would benefit from being legato instead. At 4:05, the distorted phaser guitar could be crafted a little more. Right now it sounds low passed-ish and distant (and quiet).

Not bad so far. :)

Looks like the OP link is broken. Is this it? http://soundcloud.com/heavenwraith/nyc

Ah, thanks for pointing this out, fixed the OP.

I will utilize your tips as soon as I'm able to listen to this mix without getting nauseous, heh. Also, the snare in that mix you linked to is a good example, I will try adjusting the one in my mix, along with the kick and possibly overall drum compression algorithm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is your bass drum panned? Don't do that unless you're imitating a band.

Woodwinds are mechanical and sometimes waay too loud. Track is messy. It takes a minute, but then I start hearing things reminiscent of the source. A lot seems to be original writing on top of the source's bassline.

Other instruments also have really silly loudness problems, being way louder than the rest of the track. Balance the track better. Guitar towards the end - guess if it too is too loud. :P This kind of orchestra/electronic hybrid seems like it'd work well if the instruments were just balanced better, and more human (where applicable).

I count around 2 and a half minute of source. Either I'm missing something or there's too much original writing here. You know what's source and what's not, so you know if I'm right or wrong.

More source, more human orchestral stuff, more balance. Let's see where it is after that. Good luck. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, thanks for the review.

Now I'm trying to contemplate what exactly would make the woodwinds seem less mechanical. I was thinking the volume randomization might not exactly do the trick, though I'm pretty sure I can remove that strong attack effect (I hope I can, if not via the plugin settings, at least with digitally reprocessing). Do you think that'd be the right way to go?

Other than that, all criticisms seem clear to me.