Chrono Trigger - Devotio Aeternus (Schala, Ocean Palace)

Darangen

Chrono Trigger - Devotio Aeternus

Sources:

Schala - http://youtu.be/dJtwEpQe6w0

Ocean/Undersea Palace - http://youtu.be/iSP-_hNQyYs

Link to remix - http://www.darangen.com/music/devotio4.mp3

This was submitted to the panel a few months ago and I thought I had lost the project files in a computer crash. Luckily I was able to find a back up tucked away on an external drive and was able to recover a good portion of it. Had to redo some of the guitars though.

Mainly submitting for Mod Review, but I'm still open to other opinions as well.

The somewhat bitcrushed synth that comes in right away feels weird. It doesn't seem to have a pleasing tone.

To me it feels like the kick is clashing with the bass. Maybe EQ out some of the sub frequencies on the kick (just a bit), and sidechain if you haven't already?

Overall, it sounds slightly muddy, but probably fixing that up and doing soft knee compression on the master will be the only thing that is needed to fix this up. I know for sure that you used hard knee compression. ;)

Rockin!

I would definitely try to fine-tune the drums; I just get a really fake feeling from them at some points, and I can't quite place my finger on it.

They're over-compressed, and you need to increase the release on some of the crashes, they seem to abruptly cut off here and there.

Did you record the guitars yourself?

Yep, it's still a little overcompressed, and the majority of it is because of the kick. I suggest using some sort of spectral analyzer to check what the kick waveform looks like, and adjust the volume to make it just barely reach about -0.2dB, because it'll stack to reach 0dB for the most part.

Also, if it's compressing like that, you probably are still using hard knee compression right now. A good soft knee compressor/limiter could be TLs-Pocket Limiter, which is free. Soft knee compression lowers the chance of overcompression, but then you really have to watch what's too loud and what's too soft, because there's a chance it can get so packed that some things are hard to hear, but it isn't actually truly overcompressed. I personally feel like that's a more flexible method.

This does sound a lot better, though.

Guitar sounds out of time with the drums, pretty noticeable in some spots.

I agree with Argle, it is quite noticable actually. But it sounds like maybe the wav file is a bit off time in the playlist only at certain parts. This is sounding much better than before, the drums still seem a bit too straight forward, perhaps adding more fills and little rhythmic ornamants here and there throughout the song. What I usually do (because I'm not a drummer), is I will imagine being behind the drum kit and what a drummer would feel when playing the music. How would he express himself rhythmically? How would he respond to the other instruments? Thats my subjective opinion, in the end this is your baby :). Sounding much better though, really excited to hear the finished work.

Weird, I guess it's something else then. Maybe you can try making the guitar and bass amplitude in the waveform lower while keeping it sounding loud enough. I've just managed to do it on one of my own tracks just now. Remember that stacking waveforms does amplify the final waveform, and it's definitely possible to minimize that amplification.

If you do that, it'll allow you to lower the kick a little more. It'll help if you use a spectral analyzer as well to see what the kick waveform looks like. Right now it might actually be hitting the limiter too hard, even under soft knee. I don't know if it's the sample or if it's just how loud it is under the limiter. Or maybe it's the limiter's ability to limit. What limiter are you using?

Guitar is too loud, drop it a little. Schala source is obvious. I keep missing the Undersea Palace stuff, but it's there.

I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding compression. The track is loud, but I don't hear any big compression issues. At most, I hear stuff quickly duck under the kick, but that's not a big deal.

Trying to listen to the background stuff isn't that pleasant tho. Perhaps you could ease up on the mastering a bit if dropping the guitar slightly doesn't solve that already.

Orchestral parts aren't very realistic, but they're not the focus of the track either. Could be worth humanizing the orchestral leads. That high string melody at least.

PRODUCTION

- Too loud - well, the guitar is

- Unrealistic sequencing - the orchestra

Not much else to say. Guitar is too loud, orchestral parts aren't human, track otherwise kicks ass. :D

I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding compression. The track is loud, but I don't hear any big compression issues. At most, I hear stuff quickly duck under the kick, but that's not a big deal.

I agree, that's why I suggested lowering the guitar and/or bass so the kick doesn't *have* to be that loud. ;D

Guitar is too loud, drop it a little. Schala source is obvious. I keep missing the Undersea Palace stuff, but it's there.

Trying to listen to the background stuff isn't that pleasant tho. Perhaps you could ease up on the mastering a bit if dropping the guitar slightly doesn't solve that already.

Orchestral parts aren't very realistic, but they're not the focus of the track either. Could be worth humanizing the orchestral leads. That high string melody at least.

PRODUCTION

- Too loud - well, the guitar is

- Unrealistic sequencing - the orchestra

Not much else to say. Guitar is too loud, orchestral parts aren't human, track otherwise kicks ass. :D

While I am going to be lazy and say that I generally agree with everything Rozo is saying there, I will also add a few comments of my own (which might be repeating some of his points).

- Overall, I like the idea. Interesting take on a couple of popular old themes. The arrangement is also above the bar. That wah-wah guitar at around 2:35 is awesome.

- The guitars sound great, but all the other instruments could use some work. Especially the strings. They sound rather lo-fi. Maybe layer them some more, put more verb/effects on them so they don't sound so thin. This is pretty much throughout the track.

- Also, I am not really digging the intro of the transition at about 3:00. Definitely some room for improvement here.

- EQ and mastering can also be improved. This is not my forte, so I am afraid I cannot offer any practical advice on this front.

Good job - just need to polish it some more!

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a new mix: http://www.darangen.com/music/devotio4.mp3

What I've done:

- Lowered guitars (just a little, about -1.5db on the sub bus because -3db seemed to quiet to me)

- Redid the solo violin for the lead using a midi controller instead of a mouse.

- Beefed up the strings a bit. I tried adding more layers on the strings but then the mix started getting really muddy. Hoping I found a happy medium here.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, even if I don't agree with certain suggestions/critiques I still greatly appreciate them.