LoZ: A Link to the Past: "Divisio Ecclesiam et Chivitatem in C Minor" (Church, Hyrule Castle)

Zorrakh

Hello Everyone -

Long time listener, first time poster :).

NEWS -

December 7th - I talked with the sound tech guy at my church and he said that any resources needed for microphones and recording are at my disposal, so that's one more step to getting this recorded live!

Remix Link: Divisio Ecclesiam et Chivitatem in C Minor

(Division of Church and State)

Source Track: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:

(For the second part I will be using

, from ALttP as the source track, along with Church/Sanctuary)

This is one half of a work in progress for an organ piece. I do know that the rules say to post only one remix per thread, but I also know that in Baroque organ music, two pieces are often group together as one (like with Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which this was inspired by), so I really would like to consider the final product (if/when I finish it) as one piece, although it technically could be considered two by some.

Anyways, I really just want initial thoughts on this section. My main goal is to have the entire thing played and recorded on an actual pipe organ, so I'm not too concerned with production, mastering, equalizing, and the like, if all goes smoothly. So please let me know what you think and I'll take it under consideration. :)

This is an awesome concept. So much is going to depend on the performance, when you do eventually get that far with it, this being a solo piece and all. If you can get access to a real organ, that would be amazing. I mean, I've got no idea how you go about capturing the immense sound of a live organ, but I'm sure there must be a solution to that. The only other production-related note I want to make is that I think the performance could use a good amount more personality than the demo is demonstrating so far. But it sounds like you're already on top of all of these things.

Writing-wise, I think this is a smart take on the source. You've managed to stretch a very short source tune into a respectable 2:20-long remix, yet it never feels stretched too far thin. There's plenty of originality and variation so that it doesn't get boring, but it never strays so far from the source that I forget what I'm listening to. This is a really tricky source you've chosen, and you've done a good job with it so far. Very imaginative!

I also think it's a great idea to pair it with the Hyrule Castle theme as a second movement. 2:20 is a huge achievement given the length of the Sanctuary source, but it's still a little short in the grand scheme of things. Not that every song needs to fit into a contrived, 4 - 5 minute box, but that second movement would be a welcome addition and would give you more room to extend this project into a more musically-complex and deeper narrative. My hope for the second movement is that you'll find ways to tie it back to the first. Ideally the pair should enhance one another and not just be a "medley" for sake of filling time.

Sorry I can't really help with anything here, other than to say that I totally love the concept and the direction you plan to go with this, and you should definitely see it through. Can't wait to hear more.

Welcome to the boards! :-D

This is really original! I agree that it's a great concept. I'm pretty sure playing the 2 tracks back to back would be acceptable, mainly for the reasons you already mentioned ;)

The writing is definitely good in my opinion. Everything fits together well, even the more "unusual" chords (which are awesome :D ).

My only suggestion, even though I'm no expert about organ, would be maybe to have fun with the different sounds an organ can make. What I'm talking about is something like the parts at ~1:44 and ~4:39 in this video. Maybe this would be an interesting way to add variety to your track, though I don't really know how you can achieve that with synths. Just thought I'd share the idea ^_^

Thanks for the feedback!

This is an awesome concept. So much is going to depend on the performance, when you do eventually get that far with it, this being a solo piece and all. If you can get access to a real organ, that would be amazing. I mean, I've got no idea how you go about capturing the immense sound of a live organ, but I'm sure there must be a solution to that. The only other production-related note I want to make is that I think the performance could use a good amount more personality than the demo is demonstrating so far. But it sounds like you're already on top of all of these things.

Thanks. I talked with the sound tech at my church and he said that it'll require several mikes to do it, but it's certainly a possibility and he said all the sound equipment is open to me. I have yet to talk with the organist if he could play it, and he'll definitely know how to spruce it up a bit; he's very good.

Writing-wise, I think this is a smart take on the source. You've managed to stretch a very short source tune into a respectable 2:20-long remix, yet it never feels stretched too far thin. There's plenty of originality and variation so that it doesn't get boring, but it never strays so far from the source that I forget what I'm listening to. This is a really tricky source you've chosen, and you've done a good job with it so far. Very imaginative!

Yeah, one of the reasons I chose this source is because it is so short; it has to rely on variation even more, which is something I've noticed in a lot of Baroque music (even some Renaissance), and it's something I want to make sure is a prominent element.

I also think it's a great idea to pair it with the Hyrule Castle theme as a second movement. 2:20 is a huge achievement given the length of the Sanctuary source, but it's still a little short in the grand scheme of things. Not that every song needs to fit into a contrived, 4 - 5 minute box, but that second movement would be a welcome addition and would give you more room to extend this project into a more musically-complex and deeper narrative. My hope for the second movement is that you'll find ways to tie it back to the first. Ideally the pair should enhance one another and not just be a "medley" for sake of filling time.

Sorry I can't really help with anything here, other than to say that I totally love the concept and the direction you plan to go with this, and you should definitely see it through. Can't wait to hear more.

Yeah, I do know that a medley is against the rules, but I do want to have it more like a Baroque piece where there's two separate pieces. However I actually was thinking about having some elements of the church theme in the second section, but I have yet to write it down. :D

Welcome to the boards! :-D

This is really original! I agree that it's a great concept. I'm pretty sure playing the 2 tracks back to back would be acceptable, mainly for the reasons you already mentioned ;)

The writing is definitely good in my opinion. Everything fits together well, even the more "unusual" chords (which are awesome :D ).

My only suggestion, even though I'm no expert about organ, would be maybe to have fun with the different sounds an organ can make. What I'm talking about is something like the parts at ~1:44 and ~4:39 in this video. Maybe this would be an interesting way to add variety to your track, though I don't really know how you can achieve that with synths. Just thought I'd share the idea ^_^

Thanks. I think you're talking about the stops, right? Those are the different pipes that produce different kinds of sounds. Unfortunately, I don't have any different sounds for the organ, and that's something I need to discuss with the organist. Thanks, I should have brought that up. :D