OCRA-0036 - Donkey Kong Country 3: Double the Trouble!

Emunator

It's everything that I'd hoped it would be. I've had it playing near-continuously since I downloaded it yesterday, and I think that I only occasionally skip a song here and there (don't worry, Brandon, it didn't end up being any of your songs).

By the way, Emu, nice song at the end!

Probably is my new favorite OCR album.

This album is just amazing, fantastic! I got it yesterday and I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but I'm working on it. People, seed this thing and spread it around, facebook it, tweet, what have you. Spread the love that three years of hard work and dedication has produced. Again, amazing work, people, thank you all for this amazing album!

This album is just amazing, fantastic! I got it yesterday and I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but I'm working on it. People, seed this thing and spread it around, facebook it, tweet, what have you. Spread the love that three years of hard work and dedication has produced. Again, amazing work, people, thank you all for this amazing album!

you know an album is good when it brings mecha back :wink:

So this album is quite fantastic! Seems like the bar for albums keeps getting set higher in general these days.

First, some of my favorite tracks - my absolute favorite on the album is NOT the mega David Wise collab for Spanish Jitters, but Beneath the Moonlight. That track features some excellent songwriting that isn't matched elsewhere in the album. Chasing Waterfalls is also similarly beautiful for me - I could keep these two songs looped all day and be happy.

I am entertained by many of the other songs, which are solid all around. Heart of the Cave is probably my favorite of Rozovian's work I've heard so far. Corn-fed Kong is a solid relaxing listen. All Mixxed Up is a sweet zyko piece, Tangerine Fever is also similarly solid stuff, and Diggi Dis continues to put out great stuff as usual. HoboKa & Flexstyle have a surprisingly solid collab with Can't Boss Us Around (Robot Anarchists from Hell Mix) that I personally am attached to due to its similarity to the Research Lab music from Time Lord (which was also composed by David Wise amusingly enough). 'Til We Meet Again is a nice change of pace, and The Mighty Junglol amuses with the name but providing a solid romp.

I can't really continue going down the list of the tracks...the album is just too solid all around! I enjoyed every minute of it, and I'm sure anyone who isn't closed minded should love it too!

First off, congrats on getting this epic piece of work out the door. I intentionally shut myself of any spoilers or developments of the project to hype myself up. Admittedly, DKC3 is the soundtrack I least recognize and remember yet my favorite game in the series. It's quite ironic since it has the most tracks in the series counting both the GBA and SNES versions hand-in-hand. Don't ask me why. The only track I remember off the top of my head is the World Map one.

Now for some impressions of my first listen. Aside from a few tracks, I felt that the SNES portion of the album sounded very same-y. No offense to the remixers and work put into these tracks, but the SNES remixes just didn't catch my ear as much...probably because they're mostly focused on the electronic genre which isn't my cup of tea. I'm sure that people will correct me on this when the tally up the numbers, but that's just how I see it right now upon my first casual browse through this colossal album.

The GBA tracks, on the other hand, is where things have picked up. A lot of variety in genres here. One newcomer that I'd like to highlight is Peach. Both of your tracks are really mellow, catchy, high quality and unique. Really enjoyed listening to them. Short and sweet stuff.

That being said, my two absolute tracks are out of the GBA mixes. Sea Breeze Concerto by Monkey Kong and Mr. Wise is absolutely incredible! Beneath the Moonlight floored me with its length, atmosphere, vocals, guitars, and awesome composition. The best collab of the album in my opinion, no offense to "Spanish Jitters", which is the heavily promoted mega collab. Don't get me wrong, it's a good track but Beneath the Moonlight is just...poetic.

One newcomer that I'd like to highlight is Peach. Both of your tracks are really mellow, catchy, high quality and unique. Really enjoyed listening to them. Short and sweet stuff.

I'm very flattered by the shout-out, and I'm quite pleased you enjoyed what I had to bring to the table. Thank you so much for your input. Please do enjoy the rest of the album! That goes for everyone here! ^.^

Now for some impressions of my first listen. Aside from a few tracks, I felt that the SNES portion of the album sounded very same-y. No offense to the remixers and work put into these tracks, but the SNES remixes just didn't catch my ear as much...probably because they're mostly focused on the electronic genre which isn't my cup of tea. I'm sure that people will correct me on this when the tally up the numbers, but that's just how I see it right now upon my first casual browse through this colossal album.

It must have been a very casual look, every song sounded distinct in my opinion. In the first disc, I count 13 songs which are not electronic. The second disc is more electronic, but many of them contain elements of other genres as well.

Now that I've listened to the album more thoroughly, I can share my thoughts. I HAD a larger post typed up, but the site suddenly decided I wasn't logged in anymore, and undid all my typing when I tried to go back.

I liked all the discs, but on the SNES ones, I kind of agree with SwordBreaker that some of the songs did sound same-y. Not bad, but some tracks are not as memorable as others, so I have to give them a listen so I'll have them in my head to reference or talk about. My stand out tracks are as follows

Disc 1: Purewater Pressure, Cliffside Clamber

Disc 2: Afterburn, 'Til We Meet Again

Disc 3: The Paper Chase, Arichnophobia

Disc 4: Cranky's Mojo, Spanish Jitters, Sea Breeze Concerto, Beneath the Moonlight

My only complaint is that Enchanted, AkumajoBelmont's take on Enchanted Riverbank from the SNES soundtrack, isn't present on Disc 5. Any reason why that is the case?

All in all, a great album, and a good way to finish the trilogy. It's just too bad we couldn't have gotten Eveline Fischer / Novakovic on board, but hopefully she likes the album if she gets to hear it.

Arichnophobia

:-D :-D

My only complaint is that Enchanted, AkumajoBelmont's take on Enchanted Riverbank from the SNES soundtrack, isn't present on Disc 5. Any reason why that is the case?

Yeah, unfortunately circumstances conspired to make it so that he never got to finish much besides what was heard in the previews. Jason Covenant took over from where Robbie left off, got stuck, passed the files to me, and I couldn't get past a couple of major issues, either. That said, if you want to hear all the WIPs that happened to that song, those are part of the bonus package that Emu's giving to anyone who does a full, song-by-song review of the album. ;-)

Funky Kong is my fav in all Kong games since I first saw him in DKC1 so anytime a new DKC remix or album comes out, I always check if it's a Funky's remix.

I'm so very disappointing the remix on this album is a stoner track. The breakdown in the middle/endish is pretty good but otherwise very let down on this one. As soon as the song started, I cringed.

Otherwise from what I am hearing the rest of the album sounds solid. I have only heard a couple tracks. The album is only 33% downloaded but ya! yay for new DKC remixes.

Makes me want to play DKC3 again (which I have never owned...)

DISC 1 FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEWS:

Road To Double Trouble (Fanfare)

I really like this as an introduction track. It really brings you into the world of the game and what the album will surely bring.

It's mysterious, ambient and then...

Let It Beat [or Beating Our Dix] (Dixie Beat)

It kicks right off into an awesome drum intro, which then calms down into something similar to the DKC1 theme befor fully coming down around the 20sec mark,

more or less loosing the "beat" in the title in exchange for a moure loungy sounding track. Very chill with tropical sound instruments and a funky 'lil bass track and nice drums.

About a minute and a half the song picks up in a more of a hurry, as if we been lounging around too long and time is about to run out.

Again, the song rushes a bit more after 3min and starts to sound more like the the intro did with a nice drum beat to close us out.

I included the song's original name, according to the remixers, because it made me laugh and I like it more than the finished song name.

Joe Elm (Crazy Calypso)

It's been some time since I have played DKC3. I own DKC2 on SNES still and actually just started playing it again recently for the hell of it. I thought I had DKC1 but I can't find it.

That said, I recognize the source track on this song although, without looking at the website, I cant exactly remember where in the game this song takes place (early, I assume).

The song certainly lives up to it's "crazy Calypso" roots, ethnic sounds with nice low tempo moments and coming back for nice chimes and drums.

I read the artist description on the "name pun" for Joe Elm but I still don't get it.

Unbearable (Brother Bear)

My least favourite locations in the game, especially the song and the bear characters.

I wasn't too thrilled to see this song coming up in the playlist... and then it started.

Slammin' funky blues rocks really bring the source material to life in a new loud, gritty way. Nice blues-solos throughout and I like the saloon/bar-style piano which seems to get interchanged for more of an organ then a keyboard later on.

All of this makes the song my favourite track on the album so far.

I almost wish the bass was louder on here... I wish I could turn up the bass on my player...

The Submap Emissary (Sub-Map Shuffle)

Woah! Is this the song I think it is?! The first 30sec of the track really make the world sound dangerous and treacherous.

After that the guitar brings the song a bit more into recognition and basically gives the listener a more "reassuring" feeling.

The song slows down a bit and gets a little ambient and then goes back into being eery, there's a very nice guitar solo 3/4th of the way through the song which brings the song into another slow, almost lullaby close.

Purewater Pressure (Stilt Village)

Quite honestly I don't recognize this song's source... most likely because it's been forever since I played the game.

It's a very playful track, very light and fun sounding, to me.

Bash the Bastards! (Bonus Time)

The song starts off very jazzy with, what sounds like, a saxophone coming in. The overall song is almost trance like with nice acoustic guitars coming in and chimes throughout.

In the context of the game, I would have a hard time playing the bonus rounds, which were usually intense 20sec or so mini-games of collecting, killing, or getting to another end of the stage. This song is very loungy and relaxed from that rushed feeling.

That's something I have loved from the OCR remixers, they are able to take the source tunes and make them into all these other styles just by experimenting with the instruments, time signatures and so on. Brilliant.

Funky's Joint (Hangin' at Funky's)

As I stated on the topic while this thing was still downloading, I cruised through the list on songs per disc, reading descriptions, picturing in my mind what each song was supposed to sound like or what point of the game or stage the song fit in.

The other thing I always do when a DKC album is released, or a remix is submitted to OCR, is check to see if it's Funky's Theme.

Ever since I first played the first DKC, Funky Kong became my fav Kong. his theme was awesome (and brilliantly re-created by bLiNd for "Kong In Concert") and he was just this awesome, funky, surfer Kong. I always wished for him to be playable in a future Nintendo game, like maybe a playable fighter in Smash Bros (I was happy to see him in Mario Kart Wii).

In the DKC series; DKC3's Funky's theme was never my fav (although better than the military-take on the character seen later in DK64).

However I was excited to give the remix a listen for this song, looking for it's placement in the tracklist while the download continued...

... and then I was let down...

... and without any high hopes on the track at all (based on the source). Why?

I had a bad feeling while reading the song description but I was hoping it would be more Jamaican track with maybe the inclusion of steel drums, ska, dub, or something.

INSTEAD the song starts and I think "Is that a lighter flick?". Then I hear the bubbling. Really? This is a stoner song now? I really feel this was an "easy way out" of exploring this theme.

No offense to the remixer or anyone involved with it's process. I'm sure there will many who will love this. I mean, it passed the judges or panel.

It's just a review but I feel it was undersold and cheapened. Perhaps it's just my tastes.

Anyway:

Another loungey track within the 1st disc of the album. This one is very Bob Marley with very relaxed sounds. As I stated (in disgust), it's a stoner track (based on the intro of the song - setting the mood) so the song is arranged in a very "sittin' around the house, snackin' on chips with the windows shut tight" vibe (is that what people do? I don't know).

What throws me off most, and gives me a bad taste in my mouth, is the inclusion of the bong sound effects at the start and end. I have a ton of friends and some family who do this sorta stuff, and that's fine so whatever, it's their thing. However it's not my thing and it's really a turn off in music and movies (Because it's not my lifestyle and I don't get it).

What I'll probably do for future listens is to adjust the start and end times in iTunes so it starts just after that bubbly bong sound ends, and before it happens again at the end of the song... it'll still be there on the album and the mp3 file, and if I listen to it outside of iTunes/my iPod but... atleast I don't have to hear it.

Personally, and I'm no remixer or arranger (just an artist who likes to draw and self-publish comic books), I would have taken this song into a more funky, Scat-style bebop based off the source material "Do-whop" sounding vocal bits through the track.

More Lou Rowls then Bob Marley, really.

(Disc 1 reviews continued on next post)

Edited by Tenucha
more spell check I missed, editing, rearranging