OCRA-0036 - Donkey Kong Country 3: Double the Trouble!

Emunator

But others... let’s take the opening track, “Road to Double Trouble” for instance. The original intro fanfare was zany, a good way to emerge yourself in the game with some xylophone and trumpets. This mix completely takes that away and changes it into a “moody” original track...and not only did directors Emulator and Cody do this track, but producer Flexstyle helped out too? The entire staff couldn’t even tell that it didn’t sound anything like the original? If they haven’t even played DKC3 or listened to its music I honestly wouldn’t be surprised.

Road to Double Trouble was conceived with the idea of Fanfare in mind and in fact has all of the source...in fact, I even crafted a story behind the track so it *did* match the impact of the original. I really am sorry it didn't resonate well with you.

I'm happy you like Distant Dreams on Stormy Seas, though I'm not sure if that's an insult rather than a compliment given your other album feedback.

I shudder to think that these qualities are held by any sort of educator.

It's our fault, really... we just don't have the Killer College Chops that this guy does. :-(

-------------

My only personal gripe about the album is that it's so long it makes gaining familiarity with it as a complete work pretty difficult, and I usually think such a thing is very important. I always focus on how a complete work will be accepted and I'm sure Emu had the same thing in mind perhaps, I just DON'T KNOW IF IT'S EVEN POSSIBLE~!

Edited by Brandon Strader

My only personal gripe about the album is that it's so long it makes gaining familiarity with it as a complete work pretty difficult, and I usually think such a thing is very important. I always focus on how a complete work will be accepted and I'm sure Emu had the same thing in mind perhaps, I just DON'T KNOW IF IT'S EVEN POSSIBLE~!

I think the key is to take it in disc-sized chunks. Otherwise, it definitely gets super-overwhelming.

Either that or just take a long roadtrip with nothing but this in your stereo. From experience, that works quite nicely as well. 8-)

Hi OCRemix Community,

I hope you all are enjoying DKC3:DTT as much as I am. Its like some deity was softly whispering into my ears with a diamond covered voice for 5 plus hours straight and I enjoyed every minute of it. As an illustrator/ character designer i often find myself listening to a particular song or genre of music that will help me to created the mood and mindset of any given character that I am creating at the time and this album was definitely a huge inspiration during the late hours of the night into the early morning.

My hands down favorite track from DKC3:DTT is Intoxica by Radiowar. Now, Im not a musician so I had to do a little research on the genre of music, trip hop, that is presented in this track as well as pull up some childhood memories of playing the Pipe level(s) in DKC3 and I must say that Radiowar undoubtedly hit the mark. The original song, Pokey Pipes, by Eveline Fischer is cohesively moody, melancholy, and melodic all of which Radiowar skillfully capture in his remixed interpretation of it.

Radiowar's understanding of how to identify the underlying melodies in a song and transfer said melody into a completely different style of music is astounding. He's pitched the genre of Trip Hop to me and now I'm a fan; both of his music and the genre.

To everyone involved with this project thank you so much for this amazing remix album! You all did an amazing job!

-ShodBoi

First of all, let me just say I am deeply offended that you felt the need to question my profession as a music teacher. I am a fabulous teacher. Since 1997, I've facilitated general music instruction to hundreds of children. I’ve provided guidance, mentoring, and motivation to troublesome hip-hop-loving (or nowadays it seems to be dubstep-loving) hooligans who now appreciate the beauty of classical music (although I do tolerate and profess other styles). I’ve had students approach me and say “thank you” for correcting their terrible taste and setting them on a path to a better musical future.

Flexstyle, I do have an appreciation for musical innovation, but not de-evolution. I stand by the opinion that dubstep is a hideous “genre” that does nothing except add noise to a perfectly acceptable piece of music. I just can’t see the musical basis in dubstep. Furthermore, I do have a sense of humor. But music is not a joke. It is to be admired, studied, and appreciated as an enjoyable part of human culture.

The notion that I’m close-minded when it comes to music is simply ridiculous. I did admit, and will continue to admit, that some artists worked with the source very well. Monobrow’s “Exploration C” emphasizes the mood of “Cavern Caprice” whereas Archangel’s “Shenanigans Bananigans” orchestrates "Jungle Jitter" in an interesting manner. Ergosonic’s “Cliffside Clamber” is essentially a “Rockface Rumble” cover with neat Latin diversions. Other tracks, like “Low Life” (which I’m listening to right now) and “Krematoa Inferno” only had a fleeting connection to the original. “Krematoa” is what set off the sparks for my first post so to speak. “Mill Fever” had the perfect elements for an interesting jazz piece unlike anything else I’ve heard on OC ReMix: trumpets, trombones, saxophones, clarinets, double bass, drums, piano, jazz flutes, and perhaps xylophones and marimbas for the climax. Instead we got yet another hollow-sounding dubstep-induced piece with the only connection to the original being a repetitive melody (out of several from the original). OC ReMix delivered with Kong in Concert, and Serious Monkey Business was exceptional. Why did Double the Trouble have to get the short end of the stick is what I’m wondering?

I mentioned previously I was disappointed with the vocals and lyrics in DKC3. As a vocalist I found the performances in Donkey Kong Country 2’s “Trapped in the Minds” to be quite orgasmic. I wish Geoffrey Taucer and friends would work with those production issues because it is most definitely my favorite ReMix. At any rate, it was a song DKC3 should’ve aspired to, and attempted to improve upon if at all possible.

I’m shocked at the site owner himself responding to my comments in such an unprofessional way. I am not some sort of example of what a poster should not be; I should be looked upon as an example of valid criticism and my posts should be taken more seriously than the standard glowing praise from those who couldn’t tell an augmented chord from a diminished chord.

I really am sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings, but keep in mind this could be a learning experience and you could take my teachings as guidelines for what to do going forward. I’m positive that with a little more practice, and directors who are actually passionate about the music of DKC3, you guys can deliver a truly satisfying album worthy of the game it is based upon.

Edited by PenguinLover

First of all, let me just say I am deeply offended that you felt the need to question my profession as a music teacher. I am a fabulous teacher. Since 1997, I've facilitated general music instruction to hundreds of children. I’ve provided guidance, mentoring, and motivation to troublesome hip-hop-loving (or nowadays it seems to be dubstep-loving) hooligans who now appreciate the beauty of classical music (although I do tolerate and profess other styles). I’ve had students approach me and say “thank you” for correcting their terrible taste and setting them on a path to a better musical future.

7.jpg

With all due respect, if I had a kid in high school and he shared any of your views, I would be complaining to the principal about you. :/

Edited by Brandon Strader

>claims a song almost made them staple their ears shut

>is surprised at the backlash received for that comment and similarly offensive ones

just sayin'

also i understand you want a new DKC3 to make up for what you think is a crime against the original game, but... that's not going to happen just because one person demands it.

willy-wonka-you-get-nothing.gif

Edited by Mirby

Ok. PenguinLover, you crossed the line.

First of all, you'd better know that OCR is a place of learning. I've learned here more than I have ever learned in any class. This place is filled with friendly, helpful, brilliant people that helped me grow not only as a musician but also as a person. You're not seeing this, because you just barge in and claim that the latest work of LOTS of people here is basically crap.

If you want your feedback to be taken seriously, your feedback should be constructive. And trust me, constructive criticism is something we know about here.

Examples of constructive criticism:

• The track is muddy in the lows/low-mids, watch your reverb and EQs
  • The soundscape is too sparse, maybe you should add something like pads
  • The sequencing sounds too mechanical. Have you considered using the velocities to humanize your track?

This kind of feedback is accepted and encouraged here. Although you can't just say that a whole genre is BAD, and therefore any piece that even just contains references to said genre is automatically BAD. I myself am not a big fan of dubstep in general, but there are tracks with dubstep elements that just sound great to me, even if usually I don't enjoy the genre so much. And I have no problem at all understanding that other people enjoy it, because that's what taste is all about. It's subjective, and NOBODY can be wrong about their own tastes.

And by the way, saying that a track makes you want to have your ears stapled shut is NOT constructive criticism. It's just plain old hate.

You can have your own tastes, there's absolutely nothing wrong about that. But the minute you try preaching them to other people, I feel that it's unacceptable. Everyone has the right to enjoy any type of music.

This album is long. DAYM long. I've not even finished it yet lmao. Its great great work tho. Loving the whole thing.

Fantastic job to emu, cody and flexy on a fantastic job with this! :D

Since 1997, I've facilitated general music instruction to hundreds of children. I’ve provided guidance, mentoring, and motivation to troublesome hip-hop-loving (or nowadays it seems to be dubstep-loving) hooligans who now appreciate the beauty of classical music (although I do tolerate and profess other styles). I’ve had students approach me and say “thank you” for correcting their terrible taste and setting them on a path to a better musical future.

Sorry, but I found myself laughing at this. Its absurd. You're a music teacher, and you should set a better example to your students. The worst thing about this is that you're horrendously insulting anyone who likes hip-hop or dubstep by calling them troublesome or hooligans. My favourite style of music is rock. Does that make me a troublemaker in your eyes? Would liking dubstep make you call me a bad person? People are allowed to have different opinions on music to you. Yes, you're allowed to not like dubstep. You're also allowed to not like classical music. You should accept that all forms and genres of music are legitimate regardless of your own opinions, and if you can't appreciate or accept that, then you should not be a music teacher, and should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by WillRock

Wow. I just...wow. This really is Killer Studio Chops all over again, isn't it? We don't want, nor do we need some random schmuck's "teaching." This album is loved by thousands upon thousands of excellent people, and that's good enough for me. I just have nothing else to say to someone who clearly has her proverbial head so far up her derrière that she can see nothing but her own innards. Good day to you, madam.

I really am sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings, but keep in mind this could be a learning experience and you could take my teachings as guidelines for what to do going forward. I’m positive that with a little more practice, and directors who are actually passionate about the music of DKC3, you guys can deliver a truly satisfying album worthy of the game it is based upon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

See guys, all you have to do is follow PenguinLover's teachings and find people who are passionate. Better get started on the next DKC3 album. :lol:

I’m shocked at the site owner himself responding to my comments in such an unprofessional way. I am not some sort of example of what a poster should not be; I should be looked upon as an example of valid criticism and my posts should be taken more seriously than the standard glowing praise from those who couldn’t tell an augmented chord from a diminished chord.

I stand by my comments; nothing about your "I wish I could like this, but I'm not deaf" statement warranted anything other than outright dismissal. With a single comment you managed to offend at least two demographics. You've doubled down, which some people might find admirable I suppose, but your intolerance towards entire genres of music - yes, music - and your expectation that your comments should somehow carry more weight, and your comments about "correcting" your students' "terrible taste" further seal the deal.

This is either an elaborate attempt to troll, or a very frightening prospect for whichever students you manage to influence.

I'm all for opening minds to classical music, but it's not a zero-sum game - it doesn't have to come at the expense of any other genres, and when you insist that it does, you lessen music itself in the hearts & minds of anyone impressionable enough to believe you.

Please think that over a bit, for everyone's sake.

I really, really hope that's all this is, haha. If so, well played. :-P

Any thread that lets me use that Wonka GIF is a good thread to me. :lmassoff:

Also, some personal experience. The first several times I stumbled upon OCR I was repulsed by the idea of remixing songs. I was a purist; I wanted the source tracks, not what some uppity folks reinterpreted those as. Then I discovered The Black Mages. Through them, I began to love arrangements, so I dipped my toes into OCR, testing the waters. First I only grabbed stuff with guitars; anything else was icky. I only wanted to hear stuff with awesome guitars and solos. As time went on, I began to slowly delve into other areas, though there were some genres I stayed away from. I also had other crazy stipulations for downloading songs, such as needing to know the source track. I wouldn't grab it if I didn't. But I slowly set these self-imposed rules aside, realizing that I was preventing myself from hearing a lot of good songs.

In fact, I was quite vocal the first time I heard "Crystal Swamp" off of DKC2; seriously, I hated it. I was furious that someone had destroyed my nostalgia so much. But upon further listens, I came to appreciate what the song was. It wasn't meant to satisfy just MY nostalgia, but instead was nostalgic itself. It quickly became one of my favorite tracks, once I realized that it wasn't about my nostalgia and my thoughts. Once I realized that OCR is a greater community, and the songs are made for the love of the composers, I threw my rules away completely and embraced all genres. Because of that, I can now listen to any genre, because I know love for the music is behind it.

If you truly love music, you can't turn a deaf ear to any genre just because you think it's bad or invalid. Otherwise you're negating the works of hundreds, potentially thousands of artists. Music is about the expression of oneself through the compositions they create, and if done with love for the song in mind it can create some truly beautiful songs. OCR, to me, is about showing love for the original compositions by reinterpreting them in creative ways. Sometimes the result can be somewhat cover-ish while other times the source track may be hard to recognize, but in both cases the remixer put love into the mix and hours of work into creating it.

Nobody gets paid for this here. Sure, some have gone on to careers in the industry where they do get paid, but as for OCR itself it's pretty much completely volunteer work. There's no financial reasoning tied to us being here, to us making music for OCR. What keeps us here is quite simple. To quote the mission statement: "OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form."

It helps that there's a nice little community here too, but appreciation of VG music is a good reason as well. I understand you've been a music teacher for 15 years, but I'm honestly surprised one who teaches music can be so rude and elitist.

"I’m just really angry that OC ReMix did this" "too amateurish and not up to par" "enough for me to seriously consider having my ears stapled shut" "dubstep is the lowest form of “music” in the world, if it can even be considered music as that would be too much of a compliment." "I want to like this but I cannot because I’m not deaf." "Disc 2 was even worse honestly." "this album was the biggest disappointment of my life" "Hopefully my comments will be taken into serious consideration and OC ReMix makes a real DKC3 album sometime reasonably soon, not like the gargantuan wait for this disappointment"

These comments have such an elitist air to them, as if you think you know music so much better than everyone involved on the album. But it doesn't stop there, oh no.

"I am a fabulous teacher." " troublesome hip-hop-loving (or nowadays it seems to be dubstep-loving) hooligans" "(although I do tolerate and profess other styles)" "correcting their terrible taste and setting them on a path to a better musical future." "The notion that I’m close-minded when it comes to music is simply ridiculous." " I am not some sort of example of what a poster should not be; I should be looked upon as an example of valid criticism and my posts should be taken more seriously than the standard glowing praise from those who couldn’t tell an augmented chord from a diminished chord." "this could be a learning experience and you could take my teachings as guidelines for what to do going forward. I’m positive that with a little more practice, and directors who are actually passionate about the music of DKC3, you guys can deliver a truly satisfying album worthy of the game it is based upon."

You can't say you hate an entire genre in one breath than claim to tolerate and profess other styles in the next. In addition, who are you to determine what is and isn't a valid genre? Unless you're some sort of musical deity in charge of deciding these things, I don't think your self-given role is all that valid. Also, we are all equal here; no one person's opinion holds more worth than another's when it comes to these album review threads. Oh, anddyou're negating the countless hours of work over three years everyone involved with this project has poured into it. And they didn't do it for a paycheck; it was purely for love of the music. Especially with that last excerpt. Claiming that these directors aren't passionate about DKC3's music is the furthest thing from the truth. If they weren't they wouldn't be directing the album in the first place!

I'm sorry, but if you can't understand that then...

Edited by Mirby

Let's get back on track and start talking about the DKC3 album folks, not one person's opinion of it.

What he said. I was going to comment on all of this, but you all have pretty much said what I was going to, so I won't add to the clutter. And now that I have the time, I can start my own review of the album. In contrast to Tenucha's "first impression" review, mine will be what I think of them overall, having listened to them a couple times. Also, something to note; I tend to listen for the original track, but it's not a dealbreaker if it is hard to find. Anyways, on we go.

DISC 1: KREMISPHERE

ROAD TO DOUBLE TROUBLE (FANFARE)

The fact that the intro to the title screen gets remixed was a good sign for me. It sets the tone for things to come, and it sounds nice on its own.

LET IT BEAT (DIXIE BEAT)

The classic DKC drum beat, followed by some pretty mellow laid-back guitar work. Granted, I'd seen this coming since I heard this song in the preview videos. And then at 1:47, I hear the DKC 1 Bonus Theme, which is what the original track's title screen was based on. Overall, nice handle of the title screen; not overtly energetic or lacking of energy, but lets you know this album is gonna be different than the rest.

JOE ELM (CRAZY CALYPSO)

A problem with menu songs is that most players aren't going to hear much of them, since they're rushing through to get to the main game. Even so, I liked the original track, and I like this version of it too. Sounds like Dixie's just lounging for a bit and soaking up the sun before having to saddle up and track down DK and Diddy.

UNBEARABLE (BROTHERS BEAR)

So apparently Brandon Strader is a spiritual medium, because he's channeling Stevie Ray Vaughan. Also, according to Wikipedia, SRV was a founding leader of, wait for it...Double Trouble. Intentional? Anyways, the song itself, very rock-n-roll and bluesy.

THE SUBMAP EMISSARY (SUB-MAP SHUFFLE)

"The adventure is only beginning for our young simian heroes...as they look over the horizon, they know in their hearts that this quest will not be an easy one, but will be an experience like no other..."

Anyways, nice cinematic-like take of the sub-map theme. Awesome song in itself, even if the source is somewhat hard to pinpoint at times.

PUREWATER PRESSURE (STILT VILLAGE)

I'd named this one of my stand-out picks for Disc 1, mostly because that flute is awesome. Added in with everything else, it makes it hard to resist moving your head side to side. And with the source easily recognizable, but used in a new way, this is a hit for me :).

BASH THE BASTARDS! (BONUS TIME)

Based on the song title, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but something straight out of The Lion King or other Disney movie was not one of my top choices. Even so, the song identifies itself as pleasant, and when the voices come in, it makes it that much more special and dares you not to crack a smile at what you're hearing.

FUNKY'S JOINT (HANGIN' AT FUNKY'S)

55e.gif

...Ahem. Questionable title aside, the song feels laid-back, and makes you just want to stop for a bit and chill out. I don't really have anything I can compare it to, but I like the song, and don't mind the song title as much as I had initially when I first saw it in the album thread.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS (SWANKY'S SIDESHOW)

Considering the fact that some players might not have even heard this song when they played the game, this take on it makes you feel like you're at some kind of carnival, and makes you wanna take in the sights and play some games to lighten your wallet. And Swanky only LOOKS suspicious, honest! Guitar work is nice, and establishes a good groove. And that backing DJ work completes the picture.

THRILL OF THE CHASE (HOT PURSUIT)

I've always loved the vehicle levels in the DKC games, and the music for them in DKC 3 was sufficiently blood-pumping enough to get you to focus and not crash into somebody's house with your tearaway toboggan. Not to mention the swarm of bees hounding your tail in Riverside Race. As for this version, it feels slower in tempo, but no less energetic. Also, the sprite banner for this track shows a scenario that would be a blast to play.

(Second half of Disc 1 in next post)

Edited by Bored_Man